3.102 - Mekhi Blackmon, CB - USC

SemperFeist

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

So Blackmon isn't a Nickle CB?

No, I don't believe he is.  I believe he's strictly going to be an outside CB as I'm not sure he's going to have the strength to play inside, although I'm certain they will try to see if he can play in the slot at times.  Murphy is the one guy that can definitely play inside, if need be.  I think eventually they'll probably end up playing Cam Bynum a lot in the slot since he has the CB experience.  They may also throw Metellus and Ward in there as well, because I think they're going to try and have 3 Ss on the field a lot.   

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

No, I don't believe he is.  I believe he's strictly going to be an outside CB as I'm not sure he's going to have the strength to play inside, although I'm certain they will try to see if he can play in the slot at times.  Murphy is the one guy that can definitely play inside, if need be.  I think eventually they'll probably end up playing Cam Bynum a lot in the slot since he has the CB experience.  They may also throw Metellus and Ward in there as well, because I think they're going to try and have 3 Ss on the field a lot.   

I actually heard Blackmon was working in as both a slot/outside CB. It was a podcast a few weeks back. Purple Daily, I think 🤔. Could be wrong, though (it’s happened before 😂). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Heading into camp, I’m guessing that Murphy and Evans are the outside starters in base defense, with Murphy kicking down to the slot and Blackmon replacing him on the outside in nickel packages.

Booth is the wild card. 

I would really like Booth to show up this year and challenge Evans for the outside CB position. I ain’t no scout, but liked his tape from college. He was a great disappointment (primarily due to injuries) relative to my personal expectations. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, marshpit23 said:

I actually heard Blackmon was working in as both a slot/outside CB. It was a podcast a few weeks back. Purple Daily, I think 🤔. Could be wrong, though (it’s happened before 😂). 

He has been working inside a bit.  I just don't believe he'll end up doing it much, if at all...and only in an emergency.  I agree with Semper that Booth is a wildcard, otherwise, I think it will go as he says.  It depends upon whether Booth can stay healthy enough to develop, because his upside is certainly going to be greater than Blackmon's. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, swede700 said:

My first reaction was that Blackmon would take that role. Even if Booth and/or Evans pan out, I see both of them being strictly outside guys.

I wouldn't mind Bynum at CB, but that means either Cine or Metellus need to step up, or Jay Ward can go back to Safety.

On 6/29/2023 at 2:29 PM, marshpit23 said:

That's what I heard. 

On 6/29/2023 at 2:33 PM, marshpit23 said:

I would really like Booth to show up this year and challenge Evans for the outside CB position. I ain’t no scout, but liked his tape from college. He was a great disappointment (primarily due to injuries) relative to my personal expectations. 

On 6/29/2023 at 2:35 PM, swede700 said:

He has been working inside a bit.  I just don't believe he'll end up doing it much, if at all...and only in an emergency.  I agree with Semper that Booth is a wildcard, otherwise, I think it will go as he says.  It depends upon whether Booth can stay healthy enough to develop, because his upside is certainly going to be greater than Blackmon's. 

Ideally, The Vikings will have both Booth and Evans excel on the outside, and Blackmon play well both on The outside and in the slot. And Murphy, too, will play both positions, and almost everyone (corners, safeties, inside and outside Linebackers, rotating in multiple positions, so the opposing offences will not be able to know who will end up playing where, and will guess wrong and not be in position to gain yards by completing passing or making blocks to free up running backs. And the QBs will be rushed freely on blitzes, unblocked, panicked, passing too soon, and passing the ball to defenders, or getting sacked.  And with all the corners and safeties rotating, most of the defenders will get several breaks throughout the game so they will be fresher all game (and not get tired late), and so, not break down late in the season.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

After Joejuan Williams was the nickel cornerback the first few practices, Mekhi Blackmon has been firmly entrenched as that guy over the last two practices, both of which have had full pads. Outside of his reps against Jefferson, Blackmon has mostly held his own, which is a good sign for when games are played this September.

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/lists/minnesota-vikings-training-camp-practice-day-6/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR2u5-lkKDma0FM58KmfwB1TFFmit30VzSwE2ZEyEaHMnfV3J_B9Hd_oV_k

Throughout the last three padded practices, Mekhi Blackmon has been the nickel corner and that continued on Saturday afternoon. There hasn’t been anyone else I have seen that has gotten those reps on the first team. Even with Andrew Booth Jr. injured and fighting for one of those spots, Blackmon seems to have a firm grip on first-team nickel cornerback. An impressive feat for the rookie third-round pick.

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/lists/minnesota-vikings-saturday-training-camp-practice-takeaways/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR2Soepn8HYEqLFX5jh7T6-uN6-tncjEpD8GYKwutEssnWJ4zSf7qqgGvTA

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

CB MEKHI BLACKMON, MINNESOTA VIKINGS

Blackmon finished third among rookie cornerbacks in overall and PFF coverage grade at 71.7. He is also the only rookie to play 400 snaps and not miss a tackle. That reliability has been a key asset in Minnesota’s rebuilt secondary.

Blackmon also proved to be a ballhawk, leading his team with eight pass breakups despite playing just the seventh-most coverage snaps.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pff-2023-all-rookie-team-cj-stroud-puka-nacua-kobie-turner-and-more

• Like 3