3.102 - Mekhi Blackmon, CB - USC

SemperFeist

Was odd they did not take Phillips or Hodges-Tomlinson instead but obviously they do not like short corners.  Blackmon is fluid in coverage and quick, will help a lot and is a solid pickup.  The quality at WR was not there anymore in the 3rd, I am glad they took Addison and waited on a CB till the bottom of the 3rd.  

Does suck the Vikings could have got a solid TE in the 3rd but already got Oliver in free agency, Tucker Kraft could be amazing on Green Bay and if not him then Musgrave will be great.  They are both going to be hell to go up against.

Looking early like a good pick. Good man corner who can be physical with experience playing against good talent. I know people are upset about not getting Ringo. However, his play was inconsistent, and even in Combine drills, he was shaky. I think the Vikings going for more develop football players over raw physical tools this draft. Addison and Blackmon don't wow you in athletic testing but perform when on the field. Last year Vikings RAS scores of each player were high. 

Edited by dc_vikingfan
  • Like 2

Blackmon was one of the best cbs in power 5 conferences this past year. His film is super good, in all facets. 

He’s just older, will play his rookie year as 24 years old, and slighter frame so he might just project inside, although I’ve seen jc Jackson comps out there. 

ridiculous ball production with 15PDs and 3INTS in 2022. Excellent pff grades in man and zone. 

decent athlete with a 98th percentile 10 yard split, also plays bigger than his listed weight of 178lbs. 

depnding on which public draft board you use, it could be a reach. I know pff loves the dude and gushed about the pick on their live stream. Cbs and TDN also love the guy, cbs giving the pick an A grade.  Brugler is a little lower from his beast guide. 

in my mock simulators I always picked him haha. But moreso 5th roundish due to how those boards are ranked. I think he’s a player. At worst a back up nickel guy. At best someone that will compete and push booth and evans. 

• Like 1

Besides Gonzalez in the first this year, Blackmon reminds me of all those patriots corners the past few years. Smaller but can man up with inside out flexibility, not afraid to tackle. 

makes sense it’s that archetype with Flores!

Edited by battle2heaven
  • Like 2

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2023-nfl-draft-cornerback-rankings-sam-monson-devon-witherspoon-joey-porter-jr

this is just one persons ranking but someone who’s podcast I listen to a lot and I think is very knowledgeable of the draft. 

he has Blackmon ranked cb11 in this draft class. Ahead of players like ringo, brents, dj Turner, Darius rush, Riley moss, tyrique Stevenson, and Garrett Williams. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

I’ve always thought It’s unfair to call anybody a reach when a team trades back and drafts them. 

Most of us are casuals here. I know some people stick to consensus boards; I’m guilty of that too if I don’t know a player. 

But I’ve actually watched a decent amount of Blackmon being a pac 12 alum so I don’t have to be a rankings slave to this one!

Edited by battle2heaven
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, battle2heaven said:

ridiculous ball production with 15PDs and 3INTS in 2022. Excellent pff grades in man and zone. 

With both Addison and Blackmon, it looks like the Vikings show preference to players that actually are good at football and now good at running around in spandex. Good tape, good production.

• Like 1