2018 Draft Prospects

blkwdw13

37 minutes ago, 10Gawd said:

Derwin James? Leming mentioned him today as a guy he could see Pace being in love with. 

That would be a polarizing pick, but he is an absolute freak of nature with leadership qualities literally dripping from his pores and underrated ball skills. Hell, even his blitzing ability is awesome. To me, he's Kam Chancellor.

So on a Rams forum I frequent we do a full mock each year and I was assigned the Bears. How much would you guys hate if I was your GM?

1) Quinten Nelson G Notre Dame
2) Lorenzo Carter OLB Georgia
4) Joseph Notebloom OT TCU
4) Desean Hamilton WR Penn St
5) Nick Nelson CB Wisconsin
6) Dorian O'Daniels ILB Clemson
7) Davin Bellamy OLB Georgia

I initially wasn't planning on taking a WR but right about the start of the 4th round was when you guys didn't match the offer for Meredith. 

1 minute ago, NVRamsFan said:

So on a Rams forum I frequent we do a full mock each year and I was assigned the Bears. How much would you guys hate if I was your GM?

I initially wasn't planning on taking a WR but right about the start of the 4th round was when you guys didn't match the offer for Meredith. 

I think that’s pretty solid. Nelson at 8 doesn’t seem like a Pace move at all though. With Allen Robinson/Kevin White/Taylor Gabriel locked into the 1-3 WR roles and Tarik Cohen probably looking at 75+ targets, I doubt we see a WR before day 3 and Hamilton fits the Nagy offense. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

I'd be pretty ecstatic tbh. Nelson has the look of a HOF player. Carter gives the team a guy that Vic can help and seemingly pairs well with LF94. Hamilton might be the best route runner in the draft, and Nick Nelson would be a steal in the 5th

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The only thing Kevin White is locked into is an IR stay.

The draft is very solid. Nelson would be a fine pick, but he does not really fit the Pace profile. Carter on the other hand does scream Pace.

I did laugh at that actually lol. I know he hasn’t done anything to prove he can stay healthy but Nagy seems determined. All the time he and Trubisky have been spending together too it’s just pretty much a foregone conclusion he’s a starter for this team week one in GB. A 2nd- 4th round WR isn’t going to change that.

45 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

Swap the first 2 positions with the first 2 picks but I wouldn't mind it at all, with the exception of Noteboom, who isn't any good.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

Pretty content. I don't really want an OG at 8, but the idea of Long - Whitehair - Nelson has had me intrigued for a while. Notebloom I wouldn't want playing OT right away, but if Long goes down he might be the best suited player to step in. If Massie or Leno go down, he might still be the best swing tackle we have too depending on Morgan's growth.

Carter is raw but an athletic freak, Fangio should be able to work with him. He and Floyd would be one of the more athletic pairings on the outside.

I prefer a passrusher in the 1st and the top OL in the 2nd. If that is a C Whitehair can go to guard, if it is an OT or OG they can play OG opposite Long. If we are really lucky, get an OT, beats Massie (now a swing tackle), and then Morgan has some serious growth to take hold of the OG opposite of Long.

Edited by Sugashane
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Pretty content. I don't really want an OG at 8, but the idea of Long - Whitehair - Nelson has had me intrigued for a while. Notebloom I wouldn't want playing OT right away, but if Long goes down he might be the best suited player to step in. If Massie or Leno go down, he might still be the best swing tackle we have too depending on Morgan's growth.

Carter is raw but an athletic freak, Fangio should be able to work with him. He and Floyd would be one of the more athletic pairings on the outside.

I prefer a passrusher in the 1st and the top OL in the 2nd. If that is a C Whitehair can go to guard, if it is an OT or OG they can play OG opposite Long. If we are really lucky, get an OT, beats Massie (now a swing tackle), and then Morgan has some serious growth to take hold of the OG opposite of Long.

Yeah when I went into it I was thinking an OLB like Landry but with Nelson somehow falling to 8 I had the same thought. Long Whitehair and Nelson make a very impressive interior for not only the run game but for your young QB. We've seen the increased pressure coming from the interior and thought it was too good to pass up. 

I'm pretty high on Notebloom, it seems higher than some in here admittedly, but with this being a Rams fan mock a lot of us are high on drafting a mid round OT to groom so they ended up doing the same for their teams and soon we had a run on OT's in the 3rd and 4th rounds. 

Thank you all for the input.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pigsooie5 said:

I did laugh at that actually lol. I know he hasn’t done anything to prove he can stay healthy but Nagy seems determined. All the time he and Trubisky have been spending together too it’s just pretty much a foregone conclusion he’s a starter for this team week one in GB. A 2nd- 4th round WR isn’t going to change that.

White and Nagy's determination means little.

He physically breaks a bone everytime he plays.

Edited by WindyCity

8 hours ago, WindyCity said:

There is no edge rusher, not named Chubb, that is as good as Nelson.

You would have to be okay with reaching for an edge rusher if that was the plan.

I totally understand going with Nelson at #8.  As ive said before, you may actually getting the best prospect in the entire draft at #8.  That said, positional value has to be part of the bpa grade. If i have an A- grade on an og and a b+ grade on an edge, im taking the edge bc of the value of the position.  I however am not passing on an A- player at a position of lower need for a C+ player at any position.

So for me if you have an A+ grade on Q, then you draft him bc he's the best value on the board.  But if the grades are close at a position of value, take that guy.

• Like 1

I won’t complain if they go all in on Trubisky and draft Nelson. Trubisky taking a huge step this year is more important than anything that may happen on the defense.

That being said the menu of defenders at 8 is really intriguing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I won’t complain if they go all in on Trubisky and draft Nelson. Trubisky taking a huge step this year is more important than anything that may happen on the defense.

That being said the menu of defenders at 8 is really intriguing.

Drafting Nelson isn’t the only way to be all in on Trubisky. Hell, drafting Ridley would be more all in on Trubisky IMO. Ridley at 8 then the BPA interior OL at 39 would be peak all in for Mitch. Or maybe a trade down, then McGlinchey and THEN a guard at 39. 

It’s not really quantifiable because the trajectory of every player’s career each have so many unrelated variables, but who was the last OL as hyped up as Nelson is who actually lived up to it? Talking top 10 here. Joe Thomas? He was drafted ELEVEN years ago. How many before and since him? How many fell woefully short? The hype train on Nelson is outrageous and out of control, and really sets him up for failure or at least perceived failure. If he doesn’t become Larry Allen then it’s a crappy pick even if he’s a solid 10-year pro, and even if he is the next Larry Allen he won’t have the impact on wins and losses that a hit on a pass rusher or playmaking DB will. Give me a 20% shot at a top tier pass rusher or DB over a 50% shot at an elite interior OL every damn day, and more importantly, twice on Sundays. 

• Like 1