2018 Draft Prospects

blkwdw13

Just now, Nads786 said:

Give us the alternative in this draft? Let's say we are drafting 8th.  Minka Fitzpatrick? I just don't see any elite players after Chub. 

I'm not deep enough in the draft process, honestly, but if Minkah was there and I was convinced he could play corner he would be my pick. If not? See if I can trade down and get some more picks on days 2-3. I like some day 2 WRs so I would be gunning hard for OLB, CB, RT with my first pick (in that order).

1 hour ago, G08 said:

That's my point, in a sense.

The Pats' line, from left to right: 1st round, 3rd round, Undrafted, 4th round, 5th round

The Saints line, from left to right: 3rd round, 1st round, 2nd round, 3rd round, 7th round

My main point is that you don't need to burn a top 5 pick on an OG to have a solid offensive line; I'm of the opinion that is a wasted pick.

Saints Line

12 million/year

1st round pick

9 million/year

9 million/year

1st round pick

That is an enormous investment

11 minutes ago, G08 said:

How about the Pats?

They spend less, but I am not sure that proves much.

The Patriots WR core is made up of a 1st round pick and a bunch of UDFA guys, doesn't mean that I want the Bears to sign UDFA and run them out there at WR.

Just now, WindyCity said:

The Patriots WR core is made up of a 1st round pick and a bunch of UDFA guys, doesn't mean that I want the Bears to sign UDFA and run them out there at WR.

It proves a lot. You don't need to invest high draft picks on interior guards or centers.

Just now, WindyCity said:

Agreed. I think OL investment has to be substantial to protect Mitch and let him see the field.  I really don't get why people want to release Josh 8MM for a well playing guard is not a crazy amount of money. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

You keep referencing the Saints... Jahri Evans was drafted in the 4th round. Carl Nicks was drafted in the 4th round. Larry Warford was drafted in the 3rd, etc etc etc.

You want to save money? Draft and develop these dudes, don't blow top 5 picks on them.

8 minutes ago, G08 said:

You keep referencing the Saints... Jahri Evans was drafted in the 4th round. Carl Nicks was drafted in the 4th round. Larry Warford was drafted in the 3rd, etc etc etc.

You want to save money? Draft and develop these dudes, don't blow top 5 picks on them.

Getting the Logan Mankins of the draft is not "blowing a pick." We could also get the next Demarcus Lawrence in the draft in the second round. You want to take a chance on a Bama guy with no true position vs a guy who is an elite OG who can start right away. 

8 minutes ago, G08 said:

They invest premium money and picks in their OL.

They have had success in draft and develop previously, but now they spend premium picks and top free agent dollars at the position.

We can probably afford to draft and develop on the interior line and Sitton and Long can get us through 2018, but it would not shock me in the least if we made a significant investment on the OL with the importance of MItch.

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

They invest premium money and picks in their OL.

They have had success in draft and develop previously, but now they spend premium picks and top free agent dollars at the position.

We can probably afford to draft and develop on the interior line and Sitton and Long can get us through 2018, but it would not shock me in the least if we made a significant investment on the OL with the importance of MItch.

A 4th round pick is not a premium pick, Windy.

1 minute ago, IronMike84 said:

I haven’t started looking at scouting reports yet, but if Fitzpatrick is as good as Jalen Ramsey or better, I’d be cool with him being the pick.

I don't know that Fitzpatrick has the same cover skills as Ramsey does.  If so, he'd be a surefire top-5 pick due to his size and length.

14 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I don't know that Fitzpatrick has the same cover skills as Ramsey does.  If so, he'd be a surefire top-5 pick due to his size and length.

Jalen Ramsey is better. I don't think Fitzpatrick can be a full time CB in the NFL.  He could  cover the slot and TEs in the NFL but Ramsey is on a whole other level. 

35 minutes ago, G08 said:

A 4th round pick is not a premium pick, Windy.

They have not done that in years.

The more recent additions to the line

Larry Warford [Big Free Agent]

Max Unger [Big Trade]

Ben Grubbs [Big Free Agent]

Austen Peat [1st round]

Ryan Ramyck [1st round]