6.212 - Deuce Vaughn - RB Kansas State

textaz03

21 hours ago, quiller said:

I imagine we will get a better idea in just over 4 weeks.   What comes to my mind though is just how much hype and expectation we seem to be giving a late round pick. I also am hoping he will add some play making ability on the edge.   He will have to show he can also handle between tackles or teams will just see him and say okay it’s a pass or a a wide run

It is different to have high expectations of a late round selection when that player is at a position with a generally large transition from college to pro - QB, WR, DE, for example - than to have high expectations of a late round pick at a position notorious for the easiest transition (RB).

Its also very different when that player is not only not expected to come in and start, but likely not even expected to compete for playing time this year. With Pollard, Davis and Jones all being pretty solidified ahead of him, all he has to do is keep working to get stronger, improve the little things that create a professional, and absorb as much as he can. I don't think anyone is expecting him to come out of the gates being Alvin Kamara or something, but I do believe the expectation is that with time, weight training, film study and hard work he could become a big part of the offense, as early as late this season but more than likely well past the end of this season.

4 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

It is different to have high expectations of a late round selection when that player is at a position with a generally large transition from college to pro - QB, WR, DE, for example - than to have high expectations of a late round pick at a position notorious for the easiest transition (RB).

Its also very different when that player is not only not expected to come in and start, but likely not even expected to compete for playing time this year. With Pollard, Davis and Jones all being pretty solidified ahead of him, all he has to do is keep working to get stronger, improve the little things that create a professional, and absorb as much as he can. I don't think anyone is expecting him to come out of the gates being Alvin Kamara or something, but I do believe the expectation is that with time, weight training, film study and hard work he could become a big part of the offense, as early as late this season but more than likely well past the end of this season.

I was hoping for an immediate impact. I'm expecting to see him used to keep defenses off balance, bring that LB or DB closer to the line in anticipation of a quick draw, shuttle pass or screen. This kid is just a step faster than anything on the D line. With his small stature it will be easy for him to "get lost or dissapear" behind the beef up front.

This should create a sense of having to keep the secondary players honest and cheat up just a step. Thus opening the lane for WRs and the middle for TEs.

I think a lot of people are going to be surprised.

24 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

I was hoping for an immediate impact. I'm expecting to see him used to keep defenses off balance, bring that LB or DB closer to the line in anticipation of a quick draw, shuttle pass or screen. This kid is just a step faster than anything on the D line. With his small stature it will be easy for him to "get lost or dissapear" behind the beef up front.

This should create a sense of having to keep the secondary players honest and cheat up just a step. Thus opening the lane for WRs and the middle for TEs.

I think a lot of people are going to be surprised.

I think the impact may be a bit later in the season after Pollard starts to show he may not be cut out for 30 touch kind of work every week (sorry guys) and Deuce puts on a bit more weight. But he should definitely be the kind of guy that opens up the slots and the tight ends/split ends by forcing box defenders to play more coverage than they should. And his vision up the field, and the patience, should enable some snazzy chunk gains to look pretty easy for him in time.

I think the best indicator of what he will do this season is what happens with Davis and Jones at end of preseason. If one of them is cut, I think the expectations of him contributing this season, and early this season, skyrockets. 

As great as Pollards been, I'm not a believer in his long-term future in Dallas until he does it a full year without injury, without slowing down, and without needing a constant rotation. And even if he does it, I'd not hand him that huge payday he will want. Which leaves a hopefully stronger, wiser, and film studied Deuce Vaughn up to compete for a much larger role...

• 1 month later...

Joe Morris = SB

Dave Megget = SB

Darren Sproles = SB

Duece Vaughn = ?

All of these RBs were 5-7 and under 200 lbs. And ALL were integral parts to their teams SB run. 

I'm tellin you, this kid, if used correctly, can open up the passing game in a hurry. 

Once he gets to the 2nd level, it's impossible to get a straight line bead on him.

He has great balance, vision and speed. These are the tools that make a great RB.

Of course his size is going to get mentioned but it’s not like he’s skinny. He’s just short. 180 pounds isn’t a lot on a 6’1” frame(like some skinny CBs) but putting 180 pounds on a 5’5” frame makes this kid kinda thick and compact. I actually think he’s going to have a long career and be relatively injury free. He won’t get his ankles rolled up on like lanky Tony Pollard did. 

Edited by DaBoys

On 8/13/2023 at 10:48 AM, DaBoys said:

Of course his size is going to get mentioned but it’s not like he’s skinny. He’s just short. 180 pounds isn’t a lot on a 6’1” frame(like some skinny CBs) but putting 180 pounds on a 5’5” frame makes this kid kinda thick and compact. I actually think he’s going to have a long career and be relatively injury free. He won’t get his ankles rolled up on like lanky Tony Pollard did. 

I was worried about him running between tackles but to be honest in watching this game he was great in that roll and looked better at it than Pollard does.  Very quick and decisive in hitting the hole with great lateral movement as needed and burst to get past the arm tackles. His low center of gravity helps here as well

6 hours ago, quiller said:

I was worried about him running between tackles but to be honest in watching this game he was great in that roll and looked better at it than Pollard does.  Very quick and decisive in hitting the hole with great lateral movement as needed and burst to get past the arm tackles. His low center of gravity helps here as well

He doesn’t need much of a hole. He remarked after the game how HUGE the holes were. McCarthy said he didn’t run anything schematically different than the other RBs. 

On 8/17/2023 at 6:58 PM, DaBoys said:

He doesn’t need much of a hole. He remarked after the game how HUGE the holes were. McCarthy said he didn’t run anything schematically different than the other RBs. 

I was just so impressed with how decisive he was there was no hesitation or stutter step that we normally see from young backs. He also found the “crease” not the back of the linemen.   The next step will be to see if shows the patience to wait for the blocks on those sweeps

Offensive spotlight: Cowboys rookie running back Deuce Vaughn started the game off hot. On his first carry of the contest, he scored on an impressive 14-yard run where he made multiple defenders miss with a beautiful jump cut into a spin move, putting his electric elusiveness on display from the get-go. Unfortunately for Vaughn, it was tough sledding after that, as Dallas' offensive line struggled to create opening running lanes for the rookie running back.