Jets Select TE Zack Kuntz Round 7 Pick 220

jetsfan4life51

Outside of the first round, 24yr old prospects will become the norm. College athletes don't have to rush their decisions because of financial needs or because it's too late to transfer. The NIL deals give most of them breathing room and play right away after transferring if they feel like another team could boost their stock. Most players are playing well until they hit about 32-33. So if he's legit, we're still getting at least 8yrs from him. I'm totally fine with that. 

As stated before, Athletic freak. I love the situation he is put here. He's learning the fundamentals from CJ and Conk. His competition is Ruckert. Rodgers is the QB. There isn't a better situation for a TE like him to learn in. If he becomes a better run blocker and route runner, I'm not sure what defenses can do if he turns out to be a good starter. His 10yd split was faster than some of those who ran 4.3's. He's 6'8 with a 40inch vert. The average LB can't cover that and if you bring a safety to help, you leave CBs alone with Wilson, Lazard, Davis, and Hardman. If you drop someone from the front 7 back, you leave Rodgers all day to throw. So I'm really rooting for him because of the problems he could create for defenses. You can cover someone like Conk with average player, but you can't cover someone like that in man if he's good. 

6 minutes ago, NewAge said:

I think we’re also seeing more 24 year olds because of the COVID redshirt year everyone got. I think in a couple years we’ll go back to seeing 22 and 23 year old seniors. 

I am probably one of the few that does not mind a 24 year old vs a 22 year old. I think two years make a difference in maturity. They are more ready for the pro game. 

It’s not only about shelf life but also it can be harder to evaluate players if they’re beating up on players younger than them. Puts a different context on their college performance and how much room they might have for physical growth/development. 

• Like 1

Extremely high upside pick with #220 overall. I don't care what his age is. He is a freak athlete. If this coaching staff is really what we think it is, we have to start seeing some development now. He also has the best statistical QB of all time throwing him passes all summer. Picks like this create a ton of competition and worst case hes an athletic freak on specials. I like that we prioritize athleticism. A lot of other things are teachable. Athleticism is not. 

3 hours ago, ekill08x said:

Extremely high upside pick with #220 overall. I don't care what his age is. He is a freak athlete. If this coaching staff is really what we think it is, we have to start seeing some development now. He also has the best statistical QB of all time throwing him passes all summer. Picks like this create a ton of competition and worst case hes an athletic freak on specials. I like that we prioritize athleticism. A lot of other things are teachable. Athleticism is not. 

Ron Middleton is a great coach/leader. I hope he is able to get the most out of him. 

• 3 weeks later...