2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

18 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Yea, I just watched him versus Maryland and he threw what could’ve been 5 potential picks on 23 attempts. Including a running cross body throw right to the defender who dropped it and a terrible redzone INT. And he missed a wide open TD by a good amount of yards. 

He’s definitely raw. I dont think there’s any denying that. But I can definitely see why alot of folks like him, as he does have alot of good traits that project well for the future. 

He's got a good enough arm, can maneuver around well, is very accurate, and can run but yeah, he's going to need to sit a little bit. Definitely some to like and he'll kill the combine. Going to keep my personal feelings about him away from the conversation as another reason I don't want him lol

1 hour ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

He's got a good enough arm, can maneuver around well, is very accurate, and can run but yeah, he's going to need to sit a little bit. Definitely some to like and he'll kill the combine. Going to keep my personal feelings about him away from the conversation as another reason I don't want him lol

1 hour ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Yea, I just watched him versus Maryland and he threw what could’ve been 5 potential picks on 23 attempts. Including a running cross body throw right to the defender who dropped it and a terrible redzone INT. And he missed a wide open TD by a good amount of yards. 

He’s definitely raw. I dont think there’s any denying that. But I can definitely see why alot of folks like him, as he does have alot of good traits that project well for the future. 

The thing with the top QB prospects for me is this:

With the top 2 guys I can see the path for both of them to be elite in the NFL. Are Maye and Caleb perfect prospects? Definitely not. But they're both younger prospects with elite tools that have flashed elite potential and have made WOW plays throughout their college careers. Both had down seasons for whatever reasons but the potential is clearly there.

Daniels is an older prospect and has his flaws, but I can still see the path for him to be very productive and good in the NFL. He'll be one of the best running QB's in the league from day one and has enough arm to make the throws you need him too. 

After that I don't see any QB's that showed me WOW plays consistently on film or have crazy translatable NFL traits. 

4 hours ago, Tank4Drake said:

The best QBs always have a ton of question marks, cept Peyton/Burrow/Elway.  

Mahomes, Brady, Montana, Young, Josh Allen, Favre, etc

Guys like Mahomes and Allen had elite tools, like all time great levels lol

4 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Like what? He hasn't thrown 500+ passes in a season sure. But like what specific aspect of his game, besides experience isn't up to par?

Can he perform when he's not surrounded by more talent than every team he comes up against?

How does he perform with the pressure if things aren't going his way?

Is he going to be able to operate in a high volume passing attack?

Will his frame hold up?

Does he have elite tools for an NFL QB or just average ones?

If the tools are just average does he have that IT factor to still be a top tier player?

On 2/18/2024 at 10:12 PM, Tank4Drake said:

McCarthy at 13. It will be the best decision this franchise has made in ages. His potential is through the roof. Why are certain fans box scouting? Why is the internet lazy? Look at the guy play. He can extend plays at an elite level. He can throw on the run at an elite level. And still something people don't understand... throwing with anticipation and throwing WR's open is an Elite QB trait and McCarthy has it. This is something good but not great QB's can't do... Cousins, Dak, Carr, Ryan (when he played), Lamar, Hurts, Goff... none of them can do this. 

McCarthy has Franchise/Elite QB written all over him if the right staff develops him. 

There's no chance he's making it to 13 with Atlanta, Denver, and Minnesota ahead of us.

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

There's no chance he's making it to 13 with Atlanta, Denver, and Minnesota ahead of us.

Yep if the Raiders want a QB they’re going to have to pay. It’s a big reason why those wins against KC and DEN didn’t do it for me. I’d much rather the Raiders lose those games and be in a better position to get a QB which they need more than anything. 

I think I'm coming to the conclusion that if I were GM, I probably wouldn't draft McCarthy in the first 3 rounds. He's just not my type of prospect. I can't find a good comparison for him to any modern franchise quarterback in terms of his delivery, how he attacks a defense, how he throws the ball, how he moves as an athlete and his build. I've liked guys with smaller sample sizes before, but the issues for me are what I do see. I do not see consistent enough accuracy outside the hashes, downfield, and on traditional go routes (the latter he does not throw very much). He throws the ball very hard, but I'm not sure he has what I traditionally think of as a "strong arm" (i.e. can generate distance, velocity, and pace from a variety of arm platforms and arm angels). He has throws that look impressive, but they're always on-platform and from his long meandering release. Lastly, I am not impressed enough by his tools to be enticed enough to ignore his deficiencies.

I felt similarly about Fields coming out (though I feel better about him post-draft). He might end up being good, but I would want someone else to take a chance.

2025 Draft Class 

• Shedeur Sanders - should have a monster year. Has the traits and has been good in college 
  • Drew Allar- elite size, makes all the throws. Kinda wish he was more mobile, but he's hard to take down 
  • Conor Weigman 
  • Quinn Ewers 
  • Carson Beck
  • Cam Ward
  • Quinn Ewers 

Jalen Milroe, Riley Leonard, KJ  Jefferson - all could have a great year and rise like Jayden Daniels too 

14 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Like what? He hasn't thrown 500+ passes in a season sure. But like what specific aspect of his game, besides experience isn't up to par?

I'll just say this from my perspective.  Watching his games against Alabama and Washington, he didn't look like he threw the ball with anticipation.  A lot of his completed passes were within 5 yards.  The longer throws seemed to be at the end of their routes.  That's just what I noticed.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jerry said:

It's because he's the QB of the team that won the championship.

They're ignoring the fact that he had the #1 defense in the nation.

The guy is a project.  I personally do not think he is worth a first-round pick.  I would take him in the second or third.

I say due to alternatives because if I was making the decision I'd rather take McCarthy at #13 than Nix or Penix who I feel aren't worth a 1st. I'd also rather take the younger prospect over the FA QBs available. 

I didn't get the hype of McCarthy early in the process, but now I'm seeing the potential. We gota take a swing at the position, so why not go after a prospect who is talented and realistically should not cost us the farm to acquire. 

• Like 2