2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

48 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Mims worries me too, though could be a monster. Not fair to him, but I think Becton’s career has me gun shy. 

Curious, why don’t you care for Latham?  Him and Fuaga both seem like plug and play high level RTs to me based on physical ability and experience at the position. However, I do have admittedly some slight concerns if we are in fact transitioning to primarily an outside zone scheme. 

Edited by 101Raider

11 minutes ago, 101Raider said:

Mims worries me too, though could be a monster. Not fair to him, but I think Becton’s career has me gun shy. 

Curious, why don’t you care for Latham?  Him and Fuaga both seem like plug and play high level RTs to me based on physical ability and experience at the position. However, I do have admittedly some slight concerns if we are in fact transitioning to primarily an outside zone scheme. 

I don't mind Latham so maybe "meh" was a little strong. I would be content however not nearly as excited as the other T prospects.

He's T4 for me and at pick 13 having to settle for the 3rd tier player at his position would be a bit disappointing. I would prefer to go CB1/2 in Arnold/Mitchell over Latham.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I don't mind Latham so maybe "meh" was a little strong. I would be content however not nearly as excited as the other T prospects.

He's T4 for me and at pick 13 having to settle for the 3rd tier player at his position would be a bit disappointing. I would prefer to go CB1/2 in Arnold/Mitchell over Latham.

The good news w/ this being a heavy QB class and a heavy WR class, we should really be in a prime spot to get a solid T prospect that had every reason to get drafted higher than we're picking. It obviously depends on how the cards fall but T should certainly be where we're looking in the first.

15 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I personally don't like Latham. Alabama OTs have a history of sucking at the next level. They are maxed out with good coaching in that program is the theory. His feet are not great compared to the other OT's in this class. 

For me its:

Fashanu

Alt

Fuaga

Mims

Guyton

• Like 4

3 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

One of Alt, Fuaga, Fautanu or Fashanu and I am stoked. Latham I would be meh on. Mims I am worried about personally.

Whats the concern on Mims ? He hasn’t played a lot of games and that’s my concern especially with a FRP but he seems to have a high character. 

Fashanu & Alt are both LT only prospects, not sure of the fit given we have Miller.

Fuaga, Latham, Mims, Guyton, Fisher, Suamataia, Rosengarten all look good fits for us. After Leatherwood I would be worried about Latham. 

1 hour ago, Dessie said:

Fashanu & Alt are both LT only prospects, not sure of the fit given we have Miller.

Why? Eluemenor and Munford played both last season. Sewell switched. Paris Johnson switched (and is switching back). College tackles move to guard all the time.

• Like 1

Just now, Rich7sena said:

Why? Eluemenor and Munford played both last season. Sewell switched. Paris Johnson switched (and is switching back). College tackles move to guard all the time.

Both have only played LT in college neither have any experience of playing any other position at all.. 

1 hour ago, Dessie said:

Whats the concern on Mims ? He hasn’t played a lot of games and that’s my concern especially with a FRP but he seems to have a high character. 

Fuaga, Latham, Mims, Guyton, Fisher, Suamataia, Rosengarten all look good fits for us. After Leatherwood I would be worried about Latham. 

Alt is a blue chip T. He can absolutely be shifted to RT if need be. I am worried the Chargers are going to be smart and do that with him.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dessie said:

Both have only played LT in college neither have any experience of playing any other position at all.. 

So you think they are the exception to the rule that tackles can switch sides and play well? Sewell never played right tackle and is the league’s best right tackle.

14 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

So you think they are the exception to the rule that tackles can switch sides and play well? Sewell never played right tackle and is the league’s best right tackle.

No I just view them as LT only, given their lack of any snaps in any other position. Certainly with Fashanu I don’t see the fit as a RT, he’s very good pass blocker but his run blocking needs work. 

Sewell started as RT in high school. Didn’t Sewell get moved to RT in his rookie year from LT? His run blocking and lack of length always projected him as a RT in the NFL, not sure that can be said of Fashanu, maybe less so Alt but then I think he will be long gone by #13. 

Edited by Dessie

5 minutes ago, Dessie said:

No I just view them as LT only, given their lack of any snaps in any other position. Certainly with Fashanu I don’t see the fit as a RT, he’s very good pass blocker but his run blocking needs work. 

Sewell started as RT in high school. Didn’t Sewell get moved to RT in his rookie year from LT? 

I have no idea what Sewell played in high school, but if he did play right tackle, I doubt it prepared him in any meaningful way to play right tackle in the NFL. It certainly didn't prepare him more than playing left tackle in college. Sewell was drafted to play right tackle because the Lions have Decker.

The right tackle/left tackle distinction has proven to be a myth in practice. Players have switched sides mid-game. There may be growing pains when switching sides, but the skills that make a good left tackle make a good right tackle and vice versa. It's more like learning to drive on the opposite side of the road than writing with your non-dominant hand.

27 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I have no idea what Sewell played in high school, but if he did play right tackle, I doubt it prepared him in any meaningful way to play right tackle in the NFL. It certainly didn't prepare him more than playing left tackle in college. Sewell was drafted to play right tackle because the Lions have Decker.

The right tackle/left tackle distinction has proven to be a myth in practice. Players have switched sides mid-game. There may be growing pains when switching sides, but the skills that make a good left tackle make a good right tackle and vice versa. It's more like learning to drive on the opposite side of the road than writing with your non-dominant hand.

https://www.si.com/college/oregon/pro-ducks/penei-sewell-breaks-down-moving-to-right-tackle-with-detroit-lions

Thats funny cos that’s exactly the example Sewell said it was lik le in this article.

“It is not that easy,” he said Thursday after day three of the Lions’ organized team activities. “It’s a whole different feel. It’s like, let’s say, I’m right-handed, so I’ve been writing right-handed my whole life. Then one day, you’re just asked to write your full name left-handed at full speed, the same speed that you write with your right hand.”

I don’t think it’s a myth about switching  and a lot of scouts do as they refer to it all the time. Not saying it’s not possible but for some players the switch seems obvious (Sewell) but for others less so and that’s my concern for Fashanu particularly. 

3 minutes ago, Dessie said:

https://www.si.com/college/oregon/pro-ducks/penei-sewell-breaks-down-moving-to-right-tackle-with-detroit-lions

Thats funny cos that’s exactly the example Sewell said it was lik le in this article.

“It is not that easy,” he said Thursday after day three of the Lions’ organized team activities. “It’s a whole different feel. It’s like, let’s say, I’m right-handed, so I’ve been writing right-handed my whole life. Then one day, you’re just asked to write your full name left-handed at full speed, the same speed that you write with your right hand.”

I don’t think it’s a myth about switching  and a lot of scouts do as they refer to it all the time. Not saying it’s not possible but for some players the switch seems obvious (Sewell) but for others less so and that’s my concern for Fashanu particularly. 

Why was the switch obvious for Sewell? At this point, you can't say it's not possible to switch without lying. Instead, you have to point to a reason why a particular player can't switch. I recall a tackle from Florida a few years back who was rumored to be blind in one eye. That might affect someone's ability to switch sides. Otherwise, the rule is players can switch sides.

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I personally don't like Latham. Alabama OTs have a history of sucking at the next level. They are maxed out with good coaching in that program is the theory. His feet are not great compared to the other OT's in this class. 

For me its:

Fashanu

Alt

Fuaga

Mims

Guyton

Fantanu above fuaga for pass pro but otherwise agree.

• Like 1