2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

22 minutes ago, NickButera said:

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2023/10/13/23915307/russell-wilson-contract-release-denver-broncos-salary-cap

Here's the reason I think the Broncos won't draft a QB this draft. They have SO much cap space tied up in Wilson (an NFL record if they cut him), it's actually impossible to cut him this offseason and field an NFL roster. And if they draft someone #1 or #2 overall and keep wilson.....the amount of money they'd have tied up in the QB position is astronomical. They're forced to ride it out with Wilson through next year. Then they'll be able to move on. Most likely they improve the roster this draft so when theyre able to draft a QB in 2025 they have a better prepared team. 

"To cut Wilson would make the numbers even worse. His 2024 salary ($17 million) and option bonus ($22 million) are fully guaranteed, so they would also need to be accounted for. That’s another $39 million in dead cap space on top of the existing $46 million in dead cap, for an $85 million total dead cap, more than double the largest in NFL history. That is one-third of the total projected salary cap for the 2024 season and for a player not even on your team!"

They'll draft a QB and keep russell.

4 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

They'll draft a QB and keep russell.

Agreed. If the Broncos finish #1 overall they can’t pass on that opportunity.

It means that they’ll not be able to put a competent team around Williams/Maye for their first couple of years, which is a risk in itself because it could potentially hurt the development of these players, but they just can’t pass on a true franchise QB given the mess they’ve had at the position for so many years now.

I still hope the Broncos win a few games and finish out of the top QB sweepstakes so that we don’t have to think about the permutations of it all…

15 hours ago, Jerry said:

Joe Burrow was definitely up there.  I don't know about getting the generational label, but he was the clear cut #1 pick after that season with LSU.  I mean he isn't playing well this season, but I think it's due to injuries.  He's been great when he's healthy.  Arguably a top 5 QB in the NFL.

Burrow more burst onto the scene. And there were some doubts about his arm, etc. Even Williams didn't get the same attention and labeling Luck and Lawrence did. They were talked about as generational talents before they played college. Lawrence I remember hearing about him in high school how he was the next great QB. 

• Like 2

On 10/12/2023 at 2:44 PM, big_palooka said:

Competition has been weak. Will see how he does down the stretch. Not going to fault them on the fact Michigan's offense is a monster on the ground and they haven't needed him to throw it a ton.

He hasn't needed to light it up. That is not how Harbaugh and Michigan run their offense. He does however show accuracy and anticipation consistently on a throw to throw basis. Excellent in the pocket, can win with his legs. 

He's boring and that's a good thing. Everyone thinks QBs need to be flashy, throwing sidearm passes and running in circles in the pocket now. Herbert was boring.

Give me the boring, mechanically sound QB with an NFL arm from a prostyle offense over the flashy spread guy spraying pass all over the field that mostly won't translate to the pros.

Herbert was boring but produced at an elite level. McCarthy is boring, doesn’t produce, and has crumbled in the biggest moments. 

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Herbert was boring but produced at an elite level. McCarthy is boring, doesn’t produce, and has crumbled in the biggest moments. 

He's definitely not boring. He's extremely athletic and has a huge arm. He also has made big strides this year in terms of mechanics. You can't just judge him off the TCU game in isolation. That's ridiculous.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

He's definitely not boring. He's extremely athletic and has a huge arm. He also has made big strides this year in terms of mechanics. You can't just judge him off the TCU game in isolation. That's ridiculous.

I've just never seen anything special, Tannehill 2.0

14 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Burrow more burst onto the scene. And there were some doubts about his arm, etc. Even Williams didn't get the same attention and labeling Luck and Lawrence did. They were talked about as generational talents before they played college. Lawrence I remember hearing about him in high school how he was the next great QB. 

I remember that too.  It's kind of like the same hype the Manning kid was getting.  Except he isn't getting as much hype as Lawrence did.  I wonder how he'll turn out.

15 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Burrow was a mid-late pick heading into his last year who probably could have tested well and landed in the round 3 realm. Then the greatest single season ever happened and he became a household name overnight.

He's proven himself perfectly capable, but I definitely wanna see how much revisionism is practiced a few years down the road regarding how he was as a prospect heading into that last year at LSU. My bet, an awful lot of people are going to be saying silliness. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Crumbled in the biggest moments? He's lost 1 game as starter to TCU last playoff.

Pretty clear to see he has the arm, mechanics, pocket mobility you look for in an NFL franchise QB. He's only 20 and still developing. 

We'll see how he does against Penn St., Ohio St. and in the playoffs. 

• Like 2