2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

55 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

sure... but youre not arguing USC is a bottom tiered college team are you? 
they def not the best, but i just assumed youre not arguing they are D2 or something..

never know though with you sometimes. 

The talent disparity between players on USC's defense and players on Power 5 offenses is several times greater than you will see in the NFL.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

The talent disparity between players on USC's defense and players on Power 5 offenses is several times greater than you will see in the NFL.

for sure, putting up 20 points on UCLA though has nothing to do with their D, or power 5 Offenses. 

cant put the loss to washington on him, agreed. 

5 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

for sure, putting up 20 points on UCLA though has nothing to do with their D, or power 5 Offenses. 

cant put the loss to washington on him, agreed. 

USC is averaging 43 points a game this year and is 7-5. I don't blame the offense for not showing up to late-season, meaningless game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Gonna be some big weeks coming up for McCarthy Daniels and Nix. Penix is a great college passer but his injuries among other things are a question mark for me.

I've got my eyes on Daniels and Nix in that order. I think Nix's last two seasons are getting downplayed because of his age, but he has played like a top-10 QB prospect. I think it's worthwhile to go back and look at his years at Auburn. I was always impressed with the raw material he showed while playing on Auburn's inept offense. In my opinion, he's always had the goods.

I really like Daniels' tools. He reminds me of a supercharged Mariota. I also really like his top receiver and would love a first-round of Daniels and Nabers if the Jets are still willing to give up a first-rounder for Adams.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Gonna be some big weeks coming up for McCarthy Daniels and Nix. Penix is a great college passer but his injuries among other things are a question mark for me.

I'd grab Penix on day 2 if he drops (and with the meds, he very well could). 

If the options are to trade the house to move up, reach, or take Penix day 2, it's a no brainer to me. 

If he can't hold up, another class of "generational" prospects is only a year or so away because "generational" = bi-annual the days lol. 

I wouldn't take him top 10 because of the injuries, but getting a stud + Penix is basically landing 2 day 1 talents. 

Wonder how the NFL views Penix. Rocket arm that has good accuracy. Can run a little but perfes to not run. Age and injury history not great. 

A lot of team will be needing QBs. Which will naturally have these prospects rise because of the demand. 

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

I'd grab Penix on day 2 if he drops (and with the meds, he very well could). 

If the options are to trade the house to move up, reach, or take Penix day 2, it's a no brainer to me. 

If he can't hold up, another class of "generational" prospects is only a year or so away because "generational" = bi-annual the days lol. 

I wouldn't take him top 10 because of the injuries, but getting a stud + Penix is basically landing 2 day 1 talents. 

Yeah I agree about day 2 with Penix. I do think his NFL upside is bigger than people think. His downfield accuracy is gorgeous.

23 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

That’s ONE example, not the majority of the situations I’m talking about.  Honestly, I don’t even believe that story from Mayock.  Josh Allen, the Kentucky not the QB, was still on the board and was expected by most to be the pick.  I’m sure there was a team willing to trade up for him.

let me correct history on this situation:

1) Mayock was unwilling to give up enough compensation to make a trade up to 2 or 3 happen.  
2) Mayock wasn’t able to get enough trade compensation where he felt it was worth it to trade back.  In fact, he’s said this in an interview.  It wasn’t that there weren’t any deals to be made, it was that he felt the deals were not rich enough to warrant moving back AND he didn’t like where he could move back to.  He wanted Ferrell and didn’t want to risk trading back too far that he’d not be available.    

….but what I was talking about is the “small reaches”.  Example, we take a 5th rounder in the 3rd. 

Well then why jumped nobody ahead of the Jags when we took Ferrell instead of Allen?

You're not correcting history, you're assuming, or do you know it for a fact?

What dou you think would it had cost to trade up to 2 or 3? Probably all 3 Firsts (and more) we had in that years draft.
In hindsight, that we drafted Abram and Jacobs with the remaining firsts and got Maxx in the 4th in the same draft, it would be worth the trade.
But then again, do you really think, we drafted Maxx if we traded up for Bosa? We probably didn't trade down twice for Mullen and picked Jacobs with the initial pick. And instead of Maxx we probably take a DB.

Next asumption:
Why should Mayock take less than he thinks the pick he got is worth it or trade way further down than he wants? And then again, he would've picked Ferrell if he had been there. So it wouldn't change the outcome of the first round.

And last:
Year after year there's guys that are picked way before the consesus positions and others that fall way beyond it.

e.g. Drew Sanders was projected to be an late first early second round pick - he ended up in the early 3rd. And if you look at our linebacker corps back at draft day, everybody had loved that pick, instead of Mayer. Nobody thoaught that he is available a round later.
And looking at his PFF grades (I don't watch broncos games, so that's all I have available right now) he didn't make that of an impact, and would rather seen a bust right now, if we picked him.

15 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Wonder how the NFL views Penix. Rocket arm that has good accuracy. Can run a little but perfes to not run. Age and injury history not great. 

A lot of team will be needing QBs. Which will naturally have these prospects rise because of the demand. 

I think the NFL sees him as a 3rd-ish rounder. Obviously, there will be concerns about his age and injuries, but I also think there will be skepticism about his game. A lot of his production comes from throwing vertical to great college receivers. We have seen guys produce this way in college and struggle in the pros (e.g. Jordan Love). These type of throws are far less available and reliable in the NFL.

10 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

What would you give up for Justin Fields?

I am having a hard time figuring out whether Fields is a good NFL quarterback. I was not a big fan of him as a prospect, but my opinion has changed a bit because he has flourished as a runner. I would probably do a second-round pick.

2 minutes ago, Justwinning said:

No more than a 3rd. I’d rather go after Kyler though. If AZ wants decent compensation they’ll have to pay for a chunk of his salary.

I don't think Arizona is going to move on from Murray if he keeps playing like he has since returning. If he was for sale, I think they would easily get a first-round pick and not have to pick up any of his salary.

17 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

USC is averaging 43 points a game this year and is 7-5. I don't blame the offense for not showing up to late-season, meaningless game.

I was never fully on the Caleb Williams hype train, just because his attitude last year struck me as incredibly arrogant and self-absorbed. I was willing to believe it this year (and surprisingly enough, I actually feel he's come back down to earth in a good way this season).....and then the Notre Dame game happened. The first game this season where he played a good defense, he absolutely s**t the bed. The Notre defense didn't buy into the hype and proceeded to straight-up punch the USC offense in the mouth over and over again. Unlike subsequent games afterwards, it wasn't as if USC's defense couldn't get the job done -- that loss was squarely on Williams and the offense getting pushed around all game (Notre Dame's offense didn't even look too great that night). Anyone scouting Williams for the future needs to start with that game.

• Like 1