2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

I don't even care about what other moves we make, I just pray to god we end up with a QB in the first round. This is the year to land one, especially with a new regime coming in at the same time. Let them have their guy to build this thing the right way.

one of the reasons i was so adamant on firing JMD as soon as possible was because we definitely need to go into ‘24 with a new front office and coaching staff, and secure a QB of the future.  hopefully we can pair a good HC (and OC) with a QB and develop him correctly.  i hated the idea of drafting a QB and then getting a new coach for his sophomore season.

16 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

one of the reasons i was so adamant on firing JMD as soon as possible was because we definitely need to go into ‘24 with a new front office and coaching staff, and secure a QB of the future.  hopefully we can pair a good HC (and OC) with a QB and develop him correctly.  i hated the idea of drafting a QB and then getting a new coach for his sophomore season.

I WANT A NEW GM

If we’re smart Adams will be a Jet next year.   Cap hit next year 25m, then it’s 44m and 44m…. As he’ll be approaching mid 30s!!  Great player but we’re not ready to win right now!!  We have 3 WRs all getting paid, we need to get cheaper and younger.

trade him to the Jets, even if it means we got to take a chuck of cap. Then use that 1st round pick to get a QB. Use our other 1st round pick and our second on boosting the trenches on both sides of the ball. 

Jayden Daniels, Taliese Fuaga and Leonard Taylor for example. 

wouldn’t mind double dipping on DTs for the 3rd draft in a row for a Stackhouse or Tyler Davies. I want to keep swinging on DTs till we have a dominant line!! 

22 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

idc, we need to draft Jayden Daniels. Maye and Williams locked in at top 3, but Daniels is lamar Jackson 2.0. A franchise cornerstone. He's a future superstar and a modern dual threat QB. We would have cap space with a rookie scale contract to improve the OL and defense. 

Quick Action Plan 

• Invest in Coaching/ top HC and Defensive Coordinator 
  • Draft Jayden Daniels- do whatever it takes 
  • Sign Jaylen Johnson or Jeff Okudah  CB1 
  • Leonard Williams - big cat always wanted to be a Raider. give him a big dollar deal even if he's 30 now. He should be good another 4-5 years 
  • Bring back Jacobs/ Jack Jones 
  • convert Parham to center and bring in two good power guards to over power teams in the run game 
  • Koonce, Moehrig, Amik have been nice this year, bring them back in their roles 

Lamar is bigger and hasn't been able to consistently stay healthy. Daniels is skinny as a rail with no frame to bulk up. He's not a 4.3 guy like Lamar. 

You're falling for flashy stats. He's closer to Justin Fields than Lamar. 

11 hours ago, NYRaider said:

The Jaguars were the worst team in the NFL back to back seasons, went 9-8 with a playoff win last year, and are now 8-3 with a real chance to be the #1 seed in the AFC in year three. Going from the worst team in the conference to potentially the best (record wise) in a three year period is a massive leap. 

They're 13-4 over their last 17 regular season games with their only losses coming against the 49ers, Chiefs, Lions, and Texans.

Fair enough, as discussed it’s a lot more than Lawrence, but yes he was the critical piece that gave players hope I agree. 

but can point to players like Herbert who are being held back by coaching, and Goff who has been resurrected with good coaching. 
good qb play is very important… but as we’ve said for years, good qb play doesn’t get you anything unless you have a great team. 

we need to swing on QB no doubt. But he will need help. 

Just now, BackinBlack said:

Fair enough, as discussed it’s a lot more than Lawrence, but yes he was the critical piece that gave players hope I agree. 

but can point to players like Herbert who are being held back by coaching, and Goff who has been resurrected with good coaching. 
good qb play is very important… but as we’ve said for years, good qb play doesn’t get you anything unless you have a great team. 

we need to swing on QB no doubt. But he will need help. 

It's never just going to be one player but QB definitely has the biggest role in it. In the modern NFL it's almost impossible to have a great team without good QB play. Look at the Saints, they were viewed as a top 5 team in terms of talent and a super bowl contender. Adding a mediocre QB like Carr has instantly transformed them into one of the worst teams in the NFL.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

It's never just going to be one player but QB definitely has the biggest role in it. In the modern NFL it's almost impossible to have a great team without good QB play. Look at the Saints, they were viewed as a top 5 team in terms of talent and a super bowl contender. Adding a mediocre QB like Carr has instantly transformed them into one of the worst teams in the NFL.

Qb definitely changes the dynamics of a whole team. It’s why on paper if something looks good, it may not turn out to be. Aka Jimmy Redzone goat will make us redzone beasts. 
Or adding Carr to the saints will get them to next level. 
chemistry takes time, and clearly saints locker room not vibing with Carr. As we know Carr is a love or hate type guy, if the players hate him you’re not winning, and it seems MT and AK are not fans. That kills a team locker room no doubt. 

We need a qb who players believe in, and the coach believes in. JMD didn’t run his playbook cause he didn’t believe in Carr, and now we are limited with Jimmy or a rookie so again not full playbook. 

with a rookie qb next year, it’ll likely be a playoff miss, unless we get lucky. But need to have coach and OC in place so we aren’t just changing everything on the qb in year 2 or 3. 

consistency wins in the nfl. Something we’ve never had. It’s how Kenny Pickett and the Steelers are doing decent this year. That whole team knows exactly what is going on and what their responsibilities are. 

our new gm, new head coach and qb are all going to be lumped together, which isn’t great but it is what it is. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Were they really though? 

Dennis Allen is their HC, Pete Carmichael is their OC, the OL is mid, Kamara narrowly avoided missing the year sitting in jail, people are still living in 2019 with Michael Thomas, their top TE coming into the year is a converted TE learning the position and was injured, Chris Olave is a good not great volume guy (Garrett Wilson is the better of the two, imo), and the D has been on near life support with Cam Jordan's age. 

Not saying the Saints haven't underwhelmed, but the only people who ever said they were top 5 talent wise and a legit contender for the Superbowl were people hell bent on Carr being trash. Objectively, they were middle of the pack and just expected to win the weakest division in the NFL. But top 5 and real contenders? Come on man, that's bs and even you know it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

..... the only people who ever said they were top 5 talent wise and a legit contender for the Superbowl were people hell bent on Carr being trash.

Pretty much this. I haven't seen anyone else say that they were that good pre-Carr. They were always a team that underperformed but had "good" units on the football team. Never have I seen them (pre-Carr) referred to as elite. 

If you look at how they played this year, almost their entire football team has sucked at some point. There defense was good, but had some trash games, their O-Line has had some trash games, but been good other times too. Their running game same, Carr the same, etc etc. They're SO inconsistent as a team. 

Mind everyone I'm not defending Carr, he hasn't looked very good this year. Very average and the same as he's played year in and year out. He throws for 300 yards and moves the ball but can't get it into the end zone. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Good call by @big_palooka and @MrOaktown_56

Just watched some more McCarthy, I like him a lot. Obviously would like to see more from him but he pops a lot on film with his mobility, ability to extend plays, and arm strength. 

I'd definitely be happy if we drafted him, I think he can be really good.

The stats don’t do him justice and I think the playoffs will make him some dough 

26 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

The stats don’t do him justice and I think the playoffs will make him some dough 

I get that Michigan's D and run game have been pretty dominant and people who box score scout will be turned off by him, but I'm certainly not holding his team being good against him as a prospect. 

We've seen QBs that don't have "it" during Harbough's tenure, and McCarthy isn't one of them or he'd be gone. He controls the offense, takes what's given, and knows when to rely on the run game. He doesn't play hero ball, which I definitely appreciate. I don't need a hero, I need a QB that can run an offense efficiently and isn't going to pout about not putting up gawdy stats. Herbert puts up gawdy stats, it hasn't done ish for LA. 

We snag McCarthy, we probably low key have the highest floor 1st round QB. I don't know why, but he sort of reminds me of Alex Smith (if anyone can pinpoint why, go for it), and my admiration for Alex Smith and his entire career path is pretty damn high. Personally, I think Harbaugh giving him the football IQ label, him being deceptively mobile, a bit understated, ridiculously comfortable throwing onnthe move, and just being the guy without the frills is it. 

And, hey, I always thought Smith got the rawest of raw deals early on in SF and proved himself plenty worthy later on. If we get Alex Smith 2.0 and don't blow him up with crap coaching and turmoil for 7 years before giving him some stability, I consider that a huge win. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Good call by @big_palooka and @MrOaktown_56

Just watched some more McCarthy, I like him a lot. Obviously would like to see more from him but he pops a lot on film with his mobility, ability to extend plays, and arm strength. 

I'd definitely be happy if we drafted him, I think he can be really good.

He's def my #3 above Jayden. I think McCarthy has crazy potential. Might look like the worst rookie his rookie year out of those four, but he can develop into an elite guy. 

• Like 1