2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

looking at RBs - you want to find a RB who seeks to avoid contact rather than play through it, but when the DB tackles come flying in at full speed he can make them into glancing blows that he runs through.

Too many people get excited about RBs like Dillon who ran over tackle attempts from LBs.  This is not an effective archetype in the NFL outside of Marcus Allen and Derrick Henry.

Burst is always more important than speed.  Speed to the corner is more important than long speed.

There were plenty of evaluators who were pretty high on Jones, and plenty of posters here too when he was drafted, but the other thing is he got better each year for like 5 years straight.  That is impossible to scout.

vision vision vision

especially in this scheme

seeing the right seam to hit is first importance, then the short-area burst is next. A guy like Jones who can rattle off 10yd runs thru cut-back lanes is really valuable. Especially if you can get him late in the draft.

Just now, incognito_man said:

vision vision vision

especially in this scheme

seeing the right seam to hit is first importance, then the short-area burst is next. A guy like Jones who can rattle off 10yd runs thru cut-back lanes is really valuable. Especially if you can get him late in the draft.

This.  Going back and watching how Jones hits the LOS and recognizes where the lanes are developing vs how poorly Dillon does the same thing is a little depressing.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

This.  Going back and watching how Jones hits the LOS and recognizes where the lanes are developing vs how poorly Dillon does the same thing is a little depressing.

it's night and day difference isn't it?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

It's why I don't want a guy like Najee Harris.  He's been a fine back for the Steelers, but he's too patient to let a hole develop.  Not quite Leveon Bell, but close.

I feel like Jacobs in Las Vegas is similar, but not quite as patient.

We need someone who sees it and hits it fast.  Dillion is a step slow.  Like I want to say he sees it, he just doesn't get to it quick enough.

Course, when he was back there our OL wasn't performing like they are now.  Unless they were and he was really just that slow.

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I mean it's pretty fair to say we win another 2-3 games this year if Jones would have been healthy throughout. The ATL game for sure. 

Then again, at this point, might be a blessing that Jones had to be shelved for a while during the season because he looks fresh AF right now. 

• Like 1

Just now, vegas492 said:

It's why I don't want a guy like Najee Harris.  He's been a fine back for the Steelers, but he's too patient to let a hole develop.  Not quite Leveon Bell, but close.

I feel like Jacobs in Las Vegas is similar, but not quite as patient.

We need someone who sees it and hits it fast.  Dillion is a step slow.  Like I want to say he sees it, he just doesn't get to it quick enough.

Course, when he was back there our OL wasn't performing like they are now.  Unless they were and he was really just that slow.

What if the seam isn't there yet? You want a patient back. That's half the issue with Dillon, if its not there right away he just goes full speed ahead into the OLs ***.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

What if the seam isn't there yet? You want a patient back. That's half the issue with Dillon, if its not there right away he just goes full speed ahead into the OLs ***.

What if it isn't?  

Just my eyeball test, but a lot of those holes over RG/RT are not wide.  (Not all of them mind you, but many of them.)  Jones has been hitting it hard and somehow staying clean through 3-4 yards, and then juicing it for an 8-10 yard gain.

Again, seemed to me like Dillon was seeing those creases and just not getting there quick enough on those types of runs and typically he'd get hit at the LOS and end up with a 1 yard gain, or worse.

Perfect world, you get both.  I'm told that isn't available in this draft.  So I'll take a kid with some long speed, but I'm more looking at the 10 yard split, just to make sure we get something similar to Jones behind Jones.

I'd take it in the FA market too.

21 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

This is part of it, yes.  Many examples where Dillon sees where he needs to go, but can't get there.  Also many examples where he just never sees it and plows into the LOS.

No need to draft a RB at all

The NFL may soon have a new fastest player. Welsh rugby player Louis Rees-Zammit is leaving his current sport and pursuing a career in the NFL, he announced on Tuesday.

Rees-Zammit was a winger for the British and Irish Lions. The 22-year-old once hit a top speed of 24.2 mph during a rugby game and may give current NFL stars a run for their money.

3 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Dorsey Levens always seemed to play this way too just like Jones. Not as explosive as Jones but always got at least what was blocked. Always going the right direction. 

that’s what makes Jones special, maybe the best vision for any RB in the league.

Here’s a name I like, Blake Corum. Seems to always be picking rhe right hole. 

3 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

Dorsey Levens always seemed to play this way too just like Jones. Not as explosive as Jones but always got at least what was blocked. Always going the right direction. 

that’s what makes Jones special, maybe the best vision for any RB in the league.

Here’s a name I like, Blake Corum. Seems to always be picking rhe right hole. 

I've watched very little college football and of that little a littler little was of Corum and that's the first thing that jumped out to me about him too: vision. I made a mental note to watch more of him in the off-season 

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I've watched very little college football and of that little a littler little was of Corum and that's the first thing that jumped out to me about him too: vision. I made a mental note to watch more of him in the off-season 

Yeah, not the back with the most god given talent but picks the right hole and explodes through it full speed. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

Dillon would have put that game away at 48-16 rattling off 4 yards at a time between the guards

Thank you. Dillon was back to playing the role of Good Dillon before the stinger. He would have been more useful than Wilson at the end.

If he was Good Dillon.