2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

5 hours ago, incognito_man said:

these are mutually exclusive (especially if you think lowly of Joe Barry)

either he's actually good and other teams can identify this and will get paid, because there's now 31 other teams who can easily do this

or

he's actually bad and other teams identify that and don't offer him

NFL is a pretty efficient market when it comes to FA in that the winner's curse is more prevalent than finding great value.

If it is the case that he could be better under another scheme, multiple teams will know this and be interested and drive up his cost.

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Rasul Douglas? DeVondre Campbell? Rudy Ford was cut off the 53 from one of the worst teams in the NFL. That's just us and not the rest of the league examples.

Think you're giving NFL execs too much credit.

I'd be curious what each of you think Savage's market value will be on a per year average in free agency. 

I'm kind of in the let's keep him mode tbh. 

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

I'd be curious what each of you think Savage's market value will be on a per year average in free agency. 

I'm kind of in the let's keep him mode tbh. 

I just think someone will pay him.  He's young, former first rounder, and made that splashy pick six against Dallas in a playoff games.  

What about keeping Savage if he's cheap, drafting a safety and signing a sure fire starter with cap space? That way we can start Savage and the UFA and put the rookie on the field when we want to, not because we need to. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

What about keeping Savage if he's cheap, drafting a safety and signing a sure fire starter with cap space? That way we can start Savage and the UFA and put the rookie on the field when we want to, not because we need to. 

This! I want Jordan Whitehead. 

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

This is the Packer way

3 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I just think someone will pay him.  He's young, former first rounder, and made that splashy pick six against Dallas in a playoff games.  

That is my whole point. What does that mean on an annual basis? 

29 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Gonna come down to the new DC and staff and their "self scout" of Savage and the rest of the roster. 

May opt to bring back Rudy Ford instead and spend the difference on another FA upgrade over Savage.

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Gonna come down to the new DC and staff and their "self scout" of Savage and the rest of the roster. 

May opt to bring back Rudy Ford instead and spend the difference on another FA upgrade over Savage.

Upgrading Owens is more important than upgrading Savage. 

14 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Based on this year it puts him at between 26-32. 

NFL Salary Rankings | Spotrac 

I have no idea, but I always think our players are going to get more than they do. Except for Lazard and MVS, never saw those deals coming. 

That seems about right to me. He's underplaying his natural ability so teams might be cautious to give him more than a 2 year deal, too. And/or he might feel like he wasn't used properly and will want a 1yr prove it deal at a place/with a DC that will play to his strengths more.

I really don't have a good gauge at all for what he'll get because of his athletic ability paired with his production in a Joe Barry defense. Lot of variables at play here and I don't really know how to judge Savage. He seems like a bottom tier guy too often and rarely jumps off the screen. He's only very very rarely appeared to have a real knack for the game or have superb situational awareness. And I'm a guy whose favorite trait in a safety is their football IQ and situational awareness. So I'm not a big Savage guy. 

But then again, my read could be spoiled by the defensive scheme he played in. I don't have confidence in my opinion on Savage one way or another.

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

That seems about right to me. He's underplaying his natural ability so teams might be cautious to give him more than a 2 year deal, too. And/or he might feel like he wasn't used properly and will want a 1yr prove it deal at a place/with a DC that will play to his strengths more.

I really don't have a good gauge at all for what he'll get because of his athletic ability paired with his production in a Joe Barry defense. Lot of variables at play here and I don't really know how to judge Savage. He seems like a bottom tier guy too often and rarely jumps off the screen. He's only very very rarely appeared to have a real knack for the game or have superb situational awareness. And I'm a guy whose favorite trait in a safety is their football IQ and situational awareness. So I'm not a big Savage guy. 

But then again, my read could be spoiled by the defensive scheme he played in. I don't have confidence in my opinion on Savage one way or another.

He's a bad tackler and that has nothing to do with scheme. On the flip side, it looked like the light really came on for him in the playoffs as far as being a center fielder type of safety. 

I want him back and want to sign Jordan Whitehead, then draft a guy in round 2-3.