2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

55 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Ok, still just an inch deep here, but I think I found my WR.  De'Corian "JT" Clark.  6'3 215 UTSA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38NO2FWlqeY&ab_channel=Rockenoontothemoon

Got him at 169 on fanspeak.  

Nice reel. A fair amount of body catches but also some real tough contested ones. Who knows how he looks against top competitors but he was dominating the guys in front of him.  WR is so low on our priority list but if a guy like this falls deep into day 2 or 3, take a player and let him compete with a room full of hungry wolves. 

Edited by Refugee

9 hours ago, Refugee said:

Nice reel. A fair amount of body catches but also some real tough contested ones. Who knows how he looks against top competitors but he was dominating the guys in front of him.  WR is so low on our priority list but if a guy like this falls deep into day 2 or 3, take a player and let him compete with a room full of hungry wolves. 

The thing that I noticed the most was that Clark already gets both feet down inbounds.  IIRC, all of his catches on the reel were also NFL catches, a lot of other jump ball guys don't do that in college.  If he can clean up the body catches, I really, really like him.  In my mind, this would be a direct Malik Heath competitor.  I also liked the route running, but I am absolutely an amateur, so take that for what it is worth. 

I did get him in the 5th in the mock draft, but I ran a different fanspeak with a different board and couldn't even find him listed. I think that after the combine a lot of the draft boards will line up closer together, which should give us a little better idea where a lot of players will go.  It doesn't change what I like, but it does change where I think the guys would get picked.  Last year my favorites were Justin Shorter, Puka Nacua, Andre Iosivas, and the two Arkansas guys, Hazelwood and Thorton(?);  all relatively late on boards.

I think 4th-6th rounds are where I am finding a good spot to take RBs and WRs, but that could also be my ignorance of the prospects.  I find that I really don't like the other "need" positions too well in that range, and I kind of default to taking (for example) an OL that I like early and a WR that I like late vs a WR I really like early and an OL that doesn't really warm my cockles late.

11 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Man, that is probably why he wasn’t even on the charts in some of your mocks. It does make me think a bit about the number of picks we have this year. I don’t know if we need to bring in that many players  considering we still have the UDFAs and some other fringe guys that could step up. At some point, overcrowding a room with young developmental talent means you might not get to see who is actually developing to their potential.

This year, I would be happy to use those late picks to move up if we have a targeted guy, but I wouldn’t mind taking a guy that is recovering and redshirt him if we thought the potential was worth the value. We basically did this with Patrick Taylor and it slightly worked out but hoping for someone who could make more impact. It is also a year I wouldn’t mind trading a pick for one a round higher next year. This is mostly because the daft will be on GB and not based on any sound strategy. Either way, Gute and the gang have a lot of picks to play with even if many are later rounds so I hope they play a hot hand. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Leader said:

He reminds me of some of the Alabama guys who have busted, hard. I don't see him having the feet to play tackle in the NFL. Also, I see him as RT only, if he can play tackle at all, and we have Tom there. 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

He reminds me of some of the Alabama guys who have busted, hard. I don't see him having the feet to play tackle in the NFL. Also, I see him as RT only, if he can play tackle at all, and we have Tom there. 

For a multitude of reasons, he’s not on my Packers-board.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Refugee said:

Man, that is probably why he wasn’t even on the charts in some of your mocks. It does make me think a bit about the number of picks we have this year. I don’t know if we need to bring in that many players  considering we still have the UDFAs and some other fringe guys that could step up. At some point, overcrowding a room with young developmental talent means you might not get to see who is actually developing to their potential.

This year, I would be happy to use those late picks to move up if we have a targeted guy, but I wouldn’t mind taking a guy that is recovering and redshirt him if we thought the potential was worth the value. We basically did this with Patrick Taylor and it slightly worked out but hoping for someone who could make more impact. It is also a year I wouldn’t mind trading a pick for one a round higher next year. This is mostly because the daft will be on GB and not based on any sound strategy. Either way, Gute and the gang have a lot of picks to play with even if many are later rounds so I hope they play a hot hand. 

I believe the best drafting area for Green Bay is between picks 33 and 90, so I would be open to trading back 7-10 spots from round one, perhaps to a team that wants a second tier QB (Nix, Penix, McCarthy). Also to use later picks to either get a pick in that area, or more likely, use them to swap picks in a round for a higher pick in the same round.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

56 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I never liked the huge guys, whether it is the 6'8" or 6'9" offensive tackle, or the too-heavy guys like Latham and DT Sweat. Once guys get over about 325, I think there are conditioning issues and injury issues and in concert with that, body wear issues. It is a similar problem with too-tall corners - once you get over about 6'1", it is very difficult - not impossible but very difficult, to have the agility to be really good.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I believe the best drafting area for Green Bay is between picks 33 and 90, so I would be open to trading back a few spots in round one, perhaps to a team that wants a second tier QB (Nix, Penix, McCarthy). Also to use later picks to either get a pick in that area, or more likely, use them to swap picks in a round for a higher pick in the same round.

I would, too if a team like Wash wanted to get back into the 1st and we liked 2nd and 3rd round talent enough to make the deal. I’m thinking more abou those picks outside of the top 100. Based on how many players we might roster, if an injured guy with  big upside was available, I wouldn’t mind taking a flyer on a guy who can start in the PUP. 

6 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I think there's HoF Guard there if you find a power scheme. The lower half is impressive/rare. guys huge and he maintains leverage easy. and you dont go through him.

Im not in love with the tackle though I think he can probably manage if youre not putting him on an island all day. He's not gonna be a fit for MLF. Definitely some rare to the game though.

7 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

I think there's HoF Guard there if you find a power scheme. The lower half is impressive/rare. guys huge and he maintains leverage easy. and you dont go through him.

Im not in love with the tackle though I think he can probably manage if youre not putting him on an island all day. He's not gonna be a fit for MLF. Definitely some rare to the game though.

Don’t see him as a guard either.  He’s a man blocking scheme and probably ends up on the right side.  Didn’t hate that Max Starks comparison.