2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

42 minutes ago, Tperk said:

I'm not a huge draft guru, but there are only about 4-5 safeties in this class that I see being decent NFL players.

Nubin, Bullard, Hicks, Tykee Smith, and maybe Mustapha. Obviously DeJean is another, but I still would consider him as a CB for now.

Hicks I can say I have a strong opinion on.  I don’t think he is the least bit rare of a player. Good hitter. Liability in coverage. Great pursuit as a team first defender. I don’t see value in drafting him. I want the coverage. Give me the coverage.

Having heavily checked out this and last years classes extensively and I wholeheartedly agree the Safety population is dwindling. They just don’t get challenged through the air enough to sort them out for the most part.

May end up meaning absolutely nothing, but this is already the second or third time I've seen the Packers listed among a few other teams as showing interest in a couple of DL from the Shrine/Senior bowl weeks. Khristian Boyd specifically mentioned the Packers as well. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, spilltray said:

For me the combine is really not at all important to fans. For teams, the important part is the medical and interviews. Np players should rise based on the combine, but maybe some should fall.

While I doubt players move that much on team boards post-combine, as far as we (fans) are concerned players WILL fall and rise on draft boards on the mock draft sites we like to visit, but that is more down to the media getting a better handle on how the teams view players, than the combine itself.

From the physical tests point of view it is more of a testing to confirm what is already on tape. It might be more important event for players who have missed substantial parts of the last season.

I will be looking specifically at the combine 3 cone times of DBs, as the Packers seem to think this stat is important for those players.

22 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

While I doubt players move that much on team boards post-combine, as far as we (fans) are concerned players WILL fall and rise on draft boards on the mock draft sites we like to visit, but that is more down to the media getting a better handle on how the teams view players, than the combine itself.

From the physical tests point of view it is more of a testing to confirm what is already on tape. It might be more important event for players who have missed substantial parts of the last season.

I will be looking specifically at the combine 3 cone times of DBs, as the Packers seem to think this stat is important for those players.

The problem i have is none of the "draft guru's" admit they arent actually doing any evaluation. All they are doing is trying to get a feel of what teams think and go from there. The desire to create a story leads for them to hype combine stars, and bad organizations are swayed by this too. The entire way the sports media ecosystem works, with the analysts and commentators who are really just "personalities" posing as "experts" makes more worse than it does better. 

1 hour ago, spilltray said:

For me the combine is really not at all important to fans. For teams, the important part is the medical and interviews. Np players should rise based on the combine, but maybe some should fall.

I couldn't disagree more. Team management has shown that athletic testing is a huge part of their selection process. For us as fans, this helps us narrow down the players they're likely to be considering. 

There's such a funnelling of talent from college to the pros that athletic testing genuinely can tell you if someone is an NFL athlete or not, and the combine is really the only easy way for us fans to get this info in one spot. 

Edited by Sandy

Max Melton, a Rutgers CB who is seen as a likely 3rd round pick, is the brother of the Packers Bo Melton.

Payton Wilson, a NC State LB who is a likely 2nd round pick is the brother of the Brewers Bryse Wilson.

39 minutes ago, spilltray said:

The problem i have is none of the "draft guru's" admit they arent actually doing any evaluation. All they are doing is trying to get a feel of what teams think and go from there. The desire to create a story leads for them to hype combine stars, and bad organizations are swayed by this too. The entire way the sports media ecosystem works, with the analysts and commentators who are really just "personalities" posing as "experts" makes more worse than it does better. 

It’s 2024 my dude, there is lots of great coverage if you look past the ESPNs of the world. Dane Brugler and the Athletic crew are great, for example. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sandy said:

I couldn't disagree more. Team management has shown that athletic testing is a huge part of their selection process. For us as fans, this helps us narrow down the players they're likely to be considering. 

There's such a funnelling of talent from college to the pros that athletic testing genuinely can tell you if someone is an NFL athlete or not, and the combine is really the only easy way for us fans to get this info in one spot. 

This! 

It is also not the end all be all though. Kyle Hamilton from Notre Dame/Baltimore is an example. He tested poorly but he's just a football player. 

I'm very interested in Kool-Aid McKinstry. I don't see elite athlete when I watch him play. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

This! 

It is also not the end all be all though. Kyle Hamilton from Notre Dame/Baltimore is an example. He tested poorly but he's just a football player. 

I'm very interested in Kool-Aid McKinstry. I don't see elite athlete when I watch him play. 

Same for Kool-Aid, and my concern is that when he gets beat by his man he gets grabby. Some DB coach is gonna have a hell of a time breaking that habit.