2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

2 minutes ago, persiandud said:

crazy to say any RB will be in the NFL for a decade, just based on recent trends for that position. i get your point regarding the player though. i'd draft shipley in the 4th

He's going day 2 IMO. I'd wager he's one of the first 3 RBs off the board. 

11 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

I've definitely got a post a hundred pages back or so predicting the last 2 pages of Will Shipley talk.

you were way off.... it was 218 pages back!!!!

On 9/26/2023 at 11:18 AM, wgbeethree said:

I think this is going to be a pretty widely held opinion going into the draft so I just want to get ahead of the inevitable. 

At least one person in this thread will pine for Will Shipley because he reminds them of CMC.

Market down.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

He's going day 2 IMO. I'd wager he's one of the first 3 RBs off the board. 

While I do think Shipley's being slept on, I'm not sure I'm nearly as confident about your RB predictions.  This whole RB class is muddled up really badly.  I'm not even sure there's a consensus top 5 RBs.

Just now, CWood21 said:

While I do think Shipley's being slept on, I'm not sure I'm nearly as confident about your RB predictions.  This whole RB class is muddled up really badly.  I'm not even sure there's a consensus top 5 RBs.

What RB predictions? I don't care about the rest of the class or the rest of the top 5. I just know one thing, Shipley's among them no matter how you wanna slice it up. The only RB I've really clamored on about the past months is Shipley and it's mainly for his fit for us. 

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

What RB predictions? I don't care about the rest of the class or the rest of the top 5. I just know one thing, Shipley's among them no matter how you wanna slice it up. The only RB I've really clamored on about the past months is Shipley and it's mainly for his fit for us. 

You said above you were convinced he's a top 3 RB off the board.  I'm honestly not sure there is a consistent top 5 RBs let alone feeling confident that he's a top 3 RB off the board.  He was better in 2022 than he was in 2023, there's very little doubt about that.  If that speaks more about Phil Mafah or Will Shipley, that's up to you.  I to really do like him, but I'm not sure there's anything that gets me the warm and fuzzy inside.  The only RB that gave me that was Jonathan Brooks pre-ACL tear.  That was a RB I was confident that was a high-level starter at the next level.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

You said above you were convinced he's a top 3 RB off the board.  I'm honestly not sure there is a consistent top 5 RBs let alone feeling confident that he's a top 3 RB off the board.  He was better in 2022 than he was in 2023, there's very little doubt about that.  If that speaks more about Phil Mafah or Will Shipley, that's up to you.  I to really do like him, but I'm not sure there's anything that gets me the warm and fuzzy inside.  The only RB that gave me that was Jonathan Brooks pre-ACL tear.  That was a RB I was confident that was a high-level starter at the next level.

He was beat up in 2023. As far as the board/consensus top 5 RBs, I don't care what draftniks think, it's about what NFL teams look for. Shipley is perfect for the modern game. 

Just now, beekay414 said:

He was beat up in 2023. As far as the board/consensus top 5 RBs, I don't care what draftniks think, it's about what NFL teams look for. Shipley is perfect for the modern game. 

Oh trust me, I do think Shipley will be better in 2024 than he was in 2023 but he wouldn't be the first RB to be drafted that "struggled" their final year in college and ended up not turning to be anything special in the NFL.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Oh trust me, I do think Shipley will be better in 2024 than he was in 2023 but he wouldn't be the first RB to be drafted that "struggled" their final year in college and ended up not turning to be anything special in the NFL.

I don't think he struggled at all. He just pushed through injuries and still managed 5 YPC. He still looked explosive and dangerous in space plenty. They just leaned on Mafah's in between the tackles running more in the end. Let's also not pretend like Clemson's offense was cleanly run either. 

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

I don't think he struggled at all. He just pushed through injuries and still managed 5 YPC. He still looked explosive and dangerous in space plenty. They just leaned on Mafah's in between the tackles running more in the end. Let's also not pretend like Clemson's offense was cleanly run either. 

Except Mafah was there the the year before, and Shipley got more than 2 touches for every attempt that Mafah got in 2022.  They pretty much split carries in 2023.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Except Mafah was there the the year before, and Shipley got more than 2 touches for every attempt that Mafah got in 2022.  They pretty much split carries in 2023.

Because Shipley was beat up in 2023 lol

7 minutes ago, MaximusGluteus said:

I wasn't aware of this.  I'll have to go back and watch some 2022 tape. 

He is really good in space, I'll give him that for sure.

I know for sure that he had a concussion and then hurt his knee late in the year. Phil Mafah didn't start getting more carries until Shipley's concussion vs NC State. So they weren't splitting carries like CWood tried pointing out earlier.

Obviously, that doesn't account for his sub 4 YPC games early in the season but they were breaking in a new QB and I can tell you for a fact that their offense was a mess in September/October.

Regardless, look at his fit for what we do and not what he did at Clemson. Look at him through that scope and he pops for you on tape IMO. Definitely pops for me more than someone like Benson or Wright or Lloyd. He's a perfect pairing with Jacobs. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Consensus 4th round pick Will Shipley

https://youtu.be/rGbrSQc55Hg?si=2Axd1OqsFMFDFpJZ

This one is better for how we'd use him since it's with a pocket passer and another RB. Again, not looking for "wow" factor here, looking for fit/role/etc. His junior season wasn't as successful stat-wise but it looks more like how we'd use him if we were to draft him. 

• Like 1

And I just don't see how you watch that 2023 "tape" (for lack of a better word) and not see it. It's better IMO than his 2022 tape IRT the NFL due to how much read option **** they ran with DJU at QB. He just looks so much more like an NFL RB in 2023 than 2022 despite the numbers dip. I don't care. Y'all buy what you want, I'm in on Shipley. Just, for the love of god, keep him away from San Francisco.