2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

He was arguably a top 3 RT last year.  It clearly works.  You don't mess with something that works because something else might be better.

I have confidence in the Packers getting the five best possible offensive lineman on the field next season. If a guy who happens to be OT only falls into their lap and he's good enough to start, I don't really doubt Tom would kick inside. 

Besides, did you see what guards got in the FA market? Doubt Tom objects to the move.

4 minutes ago, ReasonablySober said:

FWIW, Jenkins has consistently been better at tackle than he is at guard. Didn't keep the Packers from moving him back inside. Twice. 

idk, he was dominant at LG last year once he hit his stride mid-way through the season. I think a lot of issues were related to coming back off injury. 

I'm not sure people realize yet just how good Tom was a RT last year. He erased people out there. I'm probably more apt to keep him there and go with a rookie RG (if not Rhyan) versus going with a rookie RT and moving Tom inside. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

idk, he was dominant at LG last year once he hit his stride mid-way through the season. I think a lot of issues were related to coming back off injury. 

I'm not sure people realize yet just how good Tom was a RT last year. He erased people out there. I'm probably more apt to keep him there and go with a rookie RG (if not Rhyan) versus going with a rookie RT and moving Tom inside. 

I'm fine with either route. But I don't think they'll take a lesser player in the draft because they feel they **need** to keep Tom outside. If someone like Guyton, Latham, or Mims is there at #25 and the Packers like him more than Barton, my guess is the big huge OT is the pick. 

But who knows how the Packers are ranking these guys. 

1 minute ago, ReasonablySober said:

I'm fine with either route. But I don't think they'll take a lesser player in the draft because they feel they **need** to keep Tom outside. If someone like Guyton, Latham, or Mims is there at #25 and the Packers like him more than Barton, my guess is the big huge OT is the pick. 

But who knows how the Packers are ranking these guys. 

Given their draft history, I'm not sure the Packers would even take any of those guys listed (maybe Guyton). Could be entirely a coincidence but the Packers haven't drafted an OL over 320 in forever...don't think it's happened since Gute became GM. If that chance presents itself, it'll be interesting to see what Gute does. 

14 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

The cool thing I saw in Tom?  Even when the OL was a mess, he stood out as being very good.  Lots of crap around him and he cleaned up a lot of it.  There's much more to him at RT than we even will ever know about last year.

It is much, much, much easier to find solid level of play at OG than it is to find Tom's level of play at OT. There's no incentive to kicking him inside. Walker and Tom are our starting tackles week 1 barring injury. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

It is much, much, much easier to find solid level of play at OG than it is to find Tom's level of play at OT. There's no incentive to kicking him inside. Walker and Tom are our starting tackles week 1 barring injury. 

I'd do backflips if we land a stud RG and swing OT with our first two picks this year. 

I want a badass OL so damn bad.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ReasonablySober said:

I have confidence in the Packers getting the five best possible offensive lineman on the field next season. If a guy who happens to be OT only falls into their lap and he's good enough to start, I don't really doubt Tom would kick inside. 

Besides, did you see what guards got in the FA market? Doubt Tom objects to the move.

Because you're not only hoping that Tom has the same success at RG that he does at RT, AND that the guy we're drafting is going to be able to replicate Tom's success.  It's far more likely that we find an OG that plays RG at a high level than we draft an OT to kick Tom inside.

FWIW, Jenkins has consistently been better at tackle than he is at guard. Didn't keep the Packers from moving him back inside. Twice. 

That's not even remotely true.

• Like 6

IMO, the dumbest thing we could do is kick Tom inside for an unproven rookie. No chance I'd make that move. I would take a chance at LT because I think the jury is still out on Walker. 

I'm not moving Tom anywhere. 

1 minute ago, ReasonablySober said:

His highest graded season, via PFF, was the one he played LT. His second highest graded season was one in which he played 339 snaps at OT.

You lost me at PFF. 

• Like 1