2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

10 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Nah, FSU would be the spot with the most diversity and overall number of players (Verse, Coleman, Fiske, Jones, Green, Benson)

But I would agree Gutey maybe wants a closer look at Darius Robinson and Rakestraw who both under-performed at the combine. 

That's what I am saying.  I was pretty satisfied with the FSU guys at the combine.  Plus we had Jarrian Jones for a 30 visit.  Like I said before the combine, Rakestraw was going to be interesting because of borderline size.  He was supposedly still recovering from surgery at the combine, so we will see what he can do at the pro day.  But maybe he is already off the board for being too small, I don't know.  

I am just saying what I would do.  I think I would send the regional scout to FSU to confirm and go see the Mizzou guys myself.  Regardless of if I would rather be in Tallahassee or Columbia today, :D

23 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Nah, FSU would be the spot with the most diversity and overall number of players (Verse, Coleman, Fiske, Jones, Green, Benson)

But I would agree Gutey maybe wants a closer look at Darius Robinson and Rakestraw who both under-performed at the combine. 

Mizzou it is. 

35 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Rakestraw improved his 40 at the pro day from the sounds of it.

12 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Another Mizzou guy to watch for GB is Javon Foster. Underrated OT prospect. 

I might be missing it on that one, but he doesn't seem like a fit for Gutes to me. 

45 minutes ago, sgtcheezwiz said:

Senior Bowl… High RAS… High work ethic… 2nd round projection.  I think Gutey just exploded.

Kirwan related information....remember he was a GM.

He was talking about doing mock drafts with Jim Miller.  Somehow they were talking about Mims, the tackle from Georgia.

Kirwan said Jimmy is going to have to draft him because Pat will not.

He said he started 8 games.  8 games despite his size.  Pat said the kid is overflowing with talent and potential.  And he's drafted guys like that in the first round before....and now he's doing radio.  

Note:  I'm unsure if he only started 8 games.  I see 3 years of snaps on PFF, but I don't know if they were starters snaps, or what they were.  But Pat is going to stay far away from him when he runs the mock drafts with Jim.

Just info for the sake of having info.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, R T said:

I might be missing it on that one, but he doesn't seem like a fit for Gutes to me. 

Reminds me of Sheed. Day 3 guy, decent testing but not elite. Damn good blocking scores last year. 

14 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Kirwan related information....remember he was a GM.

He was talking about doing mock drafts with Jim Miller.  Somehow they were talking about Mims, the tackle from Georgia.

Kirwan said Jimmy is going to have to draft him because Pat will not.

He said he started 8 games.  8 games despite his size.  Pat said the kid is overflowing with talent and potential.  And he's drafted guys like that in the first round before....and now he's doing radio.  

Note:  I'm unsure if he only started 8 games.  I see 3 years of snaps on PFF, but I don't know if they were starters snaps, or what they were.  But Pat is going to stay far away from him when he runs the mock drafts with Jim.

Just info for the sake of having info.

Mims started 0 games out of 7 in '21, 2 games out of 14 in '22 & started 6 games out of 7 in '23
https://www.footballdb.com/players/amarius-mims-mims0021

• Like 1

I don't think Mims fits a Packer profile at 6'8", 340.................but never say never, as the Packers do have Caleb Jones on the roster and he is what, 6'9", 370 odd ?   Now it may be simply that the Packers see later round guys differently and will take a flyer on them, letting them sit on the PS for a year or two, which you can't do with a high pick.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

48 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Rakestraw improved his 40 at the pro day from the sounds of it.

By how much?  He is still going to be borderline too small for the Packers general taste in corners.  But if you watch him play, he is a tenacious little bastard.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

By how much?  He is still going to be borderline too small for the Packers general taste in corners.  But if you watch him play, he is a tenacious little bastard.  

LOL.

When we draft him, he shall be named TLB!

7 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

LOL.

When we draft him, he shall be named TLB!

That might fit his partner, Kris Abrams-Draine even better.  But he is 5'11 and 179.  I don't see any way the Packers want any part of that.  Rakestraw is more in line with the size of SJC.

25 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Can you tell if he missed some games due to injury?  As in, would injury explain why he didn't start more?

'23, looks like Mims had a left ankle injury on Sept. 16 that needed TightRope surgery and missed 6 games, came back and played the rest of the season but had a right ankle injury and left the game in the SEC Champ game ....

Tightrope surgery -https://www.footankledc.com/news/what-is-tightrope-surgery/109

Edited by Hugh_Mann
added link
  • Like 1

I just don't see DeJean as a fit for the Packers style.  He doesn't fit the measurables as a CB which would warrant the draft slot as a more premium position.  So he'll be evaluated as a safety IMO.  And GB doesn't usually go S in the first round, especially not as a project type player.  I think the player seems really good but I don't think our staff will take that kind of a swing.

Guyton should be the pick if he's there at the slot - athletic tackle prospect.  Hopefully he is there.

• Like 1