2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

For anyone like me who still mourns the loss of the Jets 1st round pick, I just realized that the high 2nd we’ll get from the Jets, combined with the mid/late 3rd we’ll get from the Bills, should be enough to trade up into the end of the 1st round if we want. 

12 hours ago, Lodestar said:

For anyone like me who still mourns the loss of the Jets 1st round pick, I just realized that the high 2nd we’ll get from the Jets, combined with the mid/late 3rd we’ll get from the Bills, should be enough to trade up into the end of the 1st round if we want. 

This is the way

19 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

If you're discussing year to year draft grades, you have to separate them via those labels. You also have to keep in mind 32, and only 32-- players will be first round picks no matter what anyone says. 

31 depending on what the Patriots were up to that particular year

• Like 3

How high of a pick will we get for Jaire.  This article below has a quote from someone saying, 2nd round pick.  Maybe we can land a late 1st since some of the teams at the bottom of the draft order don't seem to value their picks as highly as in the past.

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2023/12/29/green-bay-packers-will-have-to-think-about-trading-jaire-alexander/72048058007/

13 hours ago, Lodestar said:

1 hour ago, Isherwood said:

This is the way

Why?

If there is really 14-16 guys with first round grades, why move up and back into the first round?

I'd rather sit where we are and see who is there with those multiple picks.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Why?

If there is really 14-16 guys with first round grades, why move up and back into the first round?

I'd rather sit where we are and see who is there with those multiple picks.

I think he was talking about trading back up into round one with the #2 from the Rodgers deal, and the #3 from the Rasul deal.  We'd still use our own #1 pick.  Would make sense if someone high on the board slipped a bit further than expected.

Edited by {Family Ghost}

29 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

How high of a pick will we get for Jaire.  This article below has a quote from someone saying, 2nd round pick.  Maybe we can land a late 1st since some of the teams at the bottom of the draft order don't seem to value their picks as highly as in the past.

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2023/12/29/green-bay-packers-will-have-to-think-about-trading-jaire-alexander/72048058007/

Time heals most wounds.

Getting a single second for a corner like Jaire is simply not enough.

I'd much rather keep him and put in a real defensive coordinator.

We talk about how soft this defense is, and here is a guy that hates playing soft.  He thrives when playing the mental game with opponents.  He's been 2nd team All Pro, twice already.  Once was 2022.  And he should be in his prime for a few more years.

This is a player to build around, not ship out for a measly 2nd round pick.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think he was talking about trading back up into round one with the #2 from the Rodgers deal, and the #3 from the Rasul deal.  We'd still use our own #1 pick.  Would make sense if someone high on the board slipped a bit further than expected.

Thank you for the clarification, but I get it.  Totally.

And I do not agree.  With so few guys with a first round grade, I'd rather sit on those picks and make the selections as opposed to package them up for the opportunity to take a guy in the first round, without a first round grade.

Maybe I could be convinced of this strategy, if we need a QB and a QB was there. Then the 5th year option appeals to me in that situation.  But we don't need one.

So again, I'll take those multiple picks and see how I can fill out the roster.

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

Time heals most wounds.

Getting a single second for a corner like Jaire is simply not enough.

I'd much rather keep him and put in a real defensive coordinator.

We talk about how soft this defense is, and here is a guy that hates playing soft.  He thrives when playing the mental game with opponents.  He's been 2nd team All Pro, twice already.  Once was 2022.  And he should be in his prime for a few more years.

This is a player to build around, not ship out for a measly 2nd round pick.

Depends on him .. he's obviously had some fairly serious transgressions this year for it to get to the point of a suspension.  Ball is in his court and he needs to show back up with a different attitude.  Also the shoulder injuries give me some pause on whether he can get back to that elite level.  He's been a different guy since he got paid, and might not be a fit for this current young Packers roster.  I'm all for keeping him if he changes his attitude to better fit the team dynamic.  His act this year wore extremely thin.  

4 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Thank you for the clarification, but I get it.  Totally.

And I do not agree.  With so few guys with a first round grade, I'd rather sit on those picks and make the selections as opposed to package them up for the opportunity to take a guy in the first round, without a first round grade.

Maybe I could be convinced of this strategy, if we need a QB and a QB was there. Then the 5th year option appeals to me in that situation.  But we don't need one.

So again, I'll take those multiple picks and see how I can fill out the roster.

We don't know how many guys the Packers will have a first round grade on.  If one of their coveted players falls into value range they should be very open to moving up to snag him.  

Edited by {Family Ghost}

Just now, {Family Ghost} said:

We don't know how many guys the Packers will have a first round grade on.  If one of their coveted players falls into value range they should be very open to moving up to snag him.  

I'm down with DeJean.  And that is about it.  

Not sure where our first pick will be, maybe he's close to it, maybe it's too high for him.  Who knows just yet.

But I'd be real leery of moving up and back into round one for this class.  It looks pretty deep for rounds 2 and 3.

Yah know, from my limited mock drafting on the PFF site.....  :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

I'm down with DeJean.  And that is about it.  

Not sure where our first pick will be, maybe he's close to it, maybe it's too high for him.  Who knows just yet.

But I'd be real leery of moving up and back into round one for this class.  It looks pretty deep for rounds 2 and 3.

Yah know, from my limited mock drafting on the PFF site.....  :)

DeJean seems like a strong option for the Packers.  He'd start at safety from day one, or might actually be a perfect "star" nickel corner if we continue with that sort of thing.  He screams Packers draft pick to me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Depends on him .. he's obviously had some fairly serious transgressions this year for it to get to the point of a suspension.  Ball is in his court and he needs to show back up with a different attitude.  Also the shoulder injuries give me some pause on whether he can get back to that elite level.  He's been a different guy since he got paid, and might not be a fit for this current young Packers roster.  I'm all for keeping him if he changes his attitude to better fit the team dynamic.  His act this year wore extremely thin.  

He's not been a different guy.  This narrative needs to calm down.

He's always been odd.  He's always been a character.  This is not new.

The kid was second team All Pro right after he signed that contract and had like 5 interceptions and locked down an all time great WR in Jefferson when given the opportunity.

It isn't his fault that his defensive coordinator sucks.

Injuries.  He's always been knicked up.  Most every year here.  It isn't new that he gets injured.

Tell yah what.  Put him in man coverage.  Build a defense around that.  Having him mirror a WR should minimize him having to come up fast to make tackles while reading eyes and plays.

Back to his attitude.  It's so bad that when Jayden Reed was being interviewed once after a game, JA walked by and said "He's only going to get better, too!"  Then smiled and walked away.  Reed responded by saying, "All because I get to practice against YOU!".  Then?  All smiles from Reed.

His act may have worn thin for some of us fans, but let's not think that the players don't like him.