2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

They don't need an edge with the roster as it currently stands.  

We already have high picks invested in Gary and Van Ness.  We have P. Smith and Enegbare as depth.  All guys who can play.

If the obvious BPA is an edge then the best move would be to move down for extra picks.  We have too many gaping holes on the roster to further invest in the strongest position on the team.

The pick should almost surely be a CB, maybe safety, or an OL.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Jared Verse had 35 hurries this year with a 20.8% pass rush win rate, Dallas Turner had 32 hurries with a 20.4% win rate.

Verse is timed in the 21.2 mph range at 260+ with a 450lb bench and a 575lb squat. "Not special at anything" lol. Dude is built like a Bosa brother and is more athletic than them too. Just need to see an arm length on him before I know where to place him, but the tape says he's 1A/1B to Turner.

Problem is he doesn't play like a Bosa brother.  Enough of picking guys based on the stopwatch instead of the film.

30 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Jared Verse had 35 hurries this year with a 20.8% pass rush win rate, Dallas Turner had 32 hurries with a 20.4% win rate.

Verse is timed in the 21.2 mph range at 260+ with a 450lb bench and a 575lb squat. "Not special at anything" lol. Dude is built like a Bosa brother and is more athletic than them too. Just need to see an arm length on him before I know where to place him, but the tape says he's 1A/1B to Turner.

He's not in Turner's league. He doesn't pass the eye test to me. He's got 4 games with more than 1 sack. Shutout in way too many games. Especially since he wasn't playing against NFL talent in many of those games. 

He may be in the top 2 or 3 EDGE rushers, but it's a weak group at the top other than Turner. I'd take the kid from Ohio State over Verse. He plays with his hair on fire. 

Edited by Old Guy

8 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Why? The only position we will take in round one based on history is QB, OT, DL, EDGE, DB. Can eliminate QB from that list. There really isn't a DL worthy of a top 20 pick, thus we're left with OT, EDGE, DB. 

I would say EDGE is 3rd most likely of that group, but I'd still say there's a say 20% chance we go EDGE vs 40 for OT and DB. Certainly far from "can't imagine any scenario."

I'm not saying no to Verse or Turner if they are BPA at our pick.

Verse isn't that good.  The sooner people realize that the better.  If you want to argue Turner, I'd probably be on board with that.  But Verse is quickly one of the most overrated prospects in the draft.  And Laiatu Latu is probably EDGE1 assuming the medicals are clear.  I think it's almost certainly we go either OL or DB with our pick.  I think the only way that EDGE makes sense is if the board is rough, and there is a lack of trade downs.  LVN this year as EDGE4 is around 33% of the defensive snaps.  Can't imagine that an EDGE drafted is anything more than EDGE4 or EDGE5 barring a post-draft trade/release of Preston Smith.  EDGE5 is less than 10% of the defensive snaps.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Verse isn't that good.  The sooner people realize that the better.  If you want to argue Turner, I'd probably be on board with that.  But Verse is quickly one of the most overrated prospects in the draft.  And Laiatu Latu is probably EDGE1 assuming the medicals are clear.  I think it's almost certainly we go either OL or DB with our pick.  I think the only way that EDGE makes sense is if the board is rough, and there is a lack of trade downs.  LVN this year as EDGE4 is around 33% of the defensive snaps.  Can't imagine that an EDGE drafted is anything more than EDGE4 or EDGE5 barring a post-draft trade/release of Preston Smith.  EDGE5 is less than 10% of the defensive snaps.

I think Turner, pipe dream, we could get him, is that speed guy off the EDGE we don't have. Might be a luxury we can't afford but I'd love to have a guy like that who speeds up the quarterback's internal clock. 

Edited by Old Guy

13 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I like Verse, so we'll agree to disagree there. Preston is going to be gone in 2025 and teams who can affect the QB are the ones who have good defenses. Like I said, probably 80% certain we don't draft one, but there's always a chance we pick a pass rusher and it wouldn't be a bad pick.

16 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I like Verse, so we'll agree to disagree there. Preston is going to be gone in 2025 and teams who can affect the QB are the ones who have good defenses. Like I said, probably 80% certain we don't draft one, but there's always a chance we pick a pass rusher and it wouldn't be a bad pick.

Edge definitely a premium pick and you won’t ever be mad about having too many. The new defensive unicorns are big guys who are quick as hell and can get interior pressure but a good outside pass rusher who’s strong enough to consistently set an edge in the run game is right up there. Hope we can get as good as Baltimore was for a while developing a pipeline there where you have enough talent to let a guy like Z go if you don’t think he’s a perfect fit and then don’t miss a beat with his younger and cheaper replacement. 

I think I’m like most people who believe this will be a OL heavy draft for us but with a supposedly deep class and two 2nds and two 3rds we might not spend a 1st there. CB becoming a need is tough because the good ones go early but there are always inconsistent results. I won’t be surprised if we jump on one early and maybe in the 1st if we find a guy we like. 

Edited by Refugee

I'm all for taking a developmental EDGE on day 2 or day 3. Adisa Isaac or Jasheen Davis are two guys I've had my eyes on for a while. Marshawn Kneeland and Ron Stone Jr are a few other interesting developmental guys to keep a lookout for. Would think we'll continue to bring guys in. 

• Like 1

Just now, beekay414 said:

I'm all for taking a developmental EDGE on day 2 or day 3. Adisa Isaac or Jasheen Davis are two guys I've had my eyes on for a while. Marshawn Kneeland and Ron Stone Jr are a few other interesting developmental guys to keep a lookout for. Would think we'll continue to bring guys in. 

Same.  I'm all on board for a guy that you can count on a year from now.  Maybe Dallas Turner if the board is rough, and there isn't any real trade up offers.  But otherwise, EDGE is pretty much the last thing on my mind when it comes to the Packers pick.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Same.  I'm all on board for a guy that you can count on a year from now.  Maybe Dallas Turner if the board is rough, and there isn't any real trade up offers.  But otherwise, EDGE is pretty much the last thing on my mind when it comes to the Packers pick.

That's what we're hoping LVN will be. Gary and LVN as the top 2 and Enagbare as the #3. He's not a free agent until after the 2025 season. We've got time.

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

That's what we're hoping LVN will be. Gary and LVN as the top 2 and Enagbare as the #3. He's not a free agent until after the 2025 season. We've got time.

I don't even have edge on the list of needs in this draft.  We're good there.  

I see CB and S as the top needs right now.  OLine and LB next, and then RB and DL. 

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I don't even have edge on the list of needs in this draft.  We're good there.  

I see CB and S as the top needs right now.  OLine and LB next, and then RB and DL. 

I think we'll still grab an EDGE somewhere, whether that's day 3 or UDFA or where the value is BPA. You can never have too many. Plus, we'll bring in vets at some of these positions so we won't need to allocate draft picks for all of them. Gute knows what's up.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I think we'll still grab an EDGE somewhere, whether that's day 3 or UDFA or where the value is BPA. You can never have too many. Plus, we'll bring in vets at some of these positions so we won't need to allocate draft picks for all of them. Gute knows what's up.

Brenton Cox has been kept on the roster all year .. got to figure he gets a shot at actual real playing time next year.  Gary, Preston, Enegbare, Van Ness, and Cox.  That's pretty good.  But yeah, we will add someone later in the draft or in UDFA. 

Edited by {Family Ghost}

4 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Brenton Cox has been kept on the roster all year .. got to figure he gets a shot at actual real playing time next year.  Gary, Preston, Enegbare, Van Ness, and Cox.  That's pretty good.  But yeah, we will add someone later in the draft or in UDFA. 

If he's improved, then sure he's getting a shot next year. If he's improved a lot, that is a massive bonus for us. Too bad he can't play specials so he could have gotten some action this year. 

3 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Brenton Cox has been kept on the roster all year .. got to figure he gets a shot at actual real playing time next year.  Gary, Preston, Enegbare, Van Ness, and Cox.  That's pretty good.  But year, we will add someone later in the draft or in UDFA. 

Yeah, that's what I mean. We'll keep cycling kids in that Cox role going forward. Lots of intriguing later guys due to the Covid year push back. 

• Like 1