2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

1 hour ago, ReasonablySober said:

I hate our where we're likely going to be picking. Late teens and early 20s in this draft isn't going to be great.

So thought exercise: who is worth using that sweet extra draft capital to move up for?

For the sake of argument:

19+40 = #8
19+51 = #11
19+40+51 = #5 (value is closer to #4, but let's say it's a four player draft and #4 costs a premium)
40+51 = #18
40+51+83 = #15

I feel like that could be a great spot to take DeJean and have a high end safety for the next decade.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

Yeah I'm with CWood. Moving up would be for WR, LT, QB, or EDGE. I think I'd much rather go down than up. 

Honestly, there's really not anyone worth moving up for.  You might be able to get into that 10-12 range, but you're probably not drafting someone significantly higher than the Packers would get at their original spot.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Big one, he won't have any testing numbers due to an ACL but he's RB2 at worst.

Shocking.  I thought for sure after his torn ACL he'd return.  I'd probably use a 3rd round pick on him if he's still available.

33 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I feel like that could be a great spot to take DeJean and have a high end safety for the next decade.

Yep, and get a decent tackle and CB in round 2. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Latham's going to want to burn the Michigan tape...

He never looked great to me whenever I watched Alabama play. Not seeing it with this kid. Alabama has had some stud offensive linemen enter the NFL, but they've also had some really bad busts too. Not sure which side of the ledger this kid winds up on but I hope it's not the Packers who are finding out. 

• Like 1

I'm usually the anti let's get us a Badger in this draft. Woefully wrong on TJ Watt! LOL 

This year, I sure wouldn't mind Braelon Allen. Most sites have him rated a round 3 guy. Not sure if that comes to fruition but I'd love this kid in round 3. Continue to smash that round 3 curse. 

He'd be the guy Gute thought he was getting when he drafted Dillon. Then hopefully extend (restructure) Jones for 2 more years at a reasonable RB rate for guys nearing the 30-year-old mark. 

• Like 1

One game quick take obs. fully ready to say I need to watch more.

Mims seems like the Steno guy. Going in with the measurements I was most excited for Mims. Feet slow down during play. Some stuff to drool over, some stuff to worry you a bit though. Had to go back for a 2nd video. Super Sheed. Dk if its the braces but seems a bit stiff when he gets going. See what we've done with Nijman think this would work out fine for us.

Latham plays Guard at Tackle. But that lower system he's got for sure give him every opportunity to fix the stuff. His recovery feels elite, hard to teach that. Guys never gonna be on the ground. Think he's cant miss, just not totally sure its at Tackle.

Two snaps in Fuaga is my guy. lol. onward. Attitude. heavy hands. Sweet wide base. good click and slide(farther in its a bit inconsistent with some crossing over). plays over his feet a bit/ idk if id say lunges but if the hands go the feet follow. Say leans on his guy a bit more than youd like in pro. Gotta go around this guy, not going straight through. 

Id go Fuaga(pending how far we go I'd trade up a bit)...> Latham...> Mims

43 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Yep, and get a decent tackle and CB in round 2. 

I feel like that would be a great strategy.

Use rounds 3-7 to fill holes/depth like RB, OC, OG, S.

And I hope we buy a quality safety in free agency.  Not even totally against bringing back Savage (even at safety) for a low end deal.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Shocking.  I thought for sure after his torn ACL he'd return.  I'd probably use a 3rd round pick on him if he's still available.

Have not done any deep dives on these guys since they aren't eligible, but looking at stat leaders the soph class has Ollie Gordon, Omarion Hampton, Ashton Jeanty, Damien Martinez, Quinshon Judkins, Jadyn Ott, DJ Giddens, plus everyone who will emerge in the 2024 season. Quite possible it becomes a stacked RB class that BRooks didn't want to get lost in, especially since his ACL tear should put him back around time for TC, so he won't be drafted as a "lost season" kind of guy. Good move for him IMO, can still see him going top 75. 

Just now, {Family Ghost} said:

Who's the better fit for the Packers between these two?

We won't know until we have a new DC. These two are pretty scheme versatile though. Will probably come down to the Combine and meeting rooms for who goes first. There's a lot of rumbling that the teams actually prefer Arnold to McKinstry, though the media draft sites have it pretty universally switched. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I feel like that would be a great strategy.

Use rounds 3-7 to fill holes/depth like RB, OC, OG, S.

And I hope we buy a quality safety in free agency.  Not even totally against bringing back Savage (even at safety) for a low end deal.

I've been on the Jordan Whitehead train for a while now. Also, I think DeJean is going to be a slot CB in the NFL. Kind of like the Lions are using he kid from Alabama Brian Branch. He plays a lot in the slot and some more traditional safety for them. 

I also like the kid from USC, Calen Bullock, as a traditional deep safety. He's got ball skills and knows how to catch. 

Edited by Old Guy