Stalking Rodgers

Brit Pack

On 7/3/2023 at 1:45 PM, Mr Bad Example said:

Did you watch that doc on Andre? Great stuff. 

My interest in wrestling is pretty nil these days but there are some great stories from way back when. 

I've been watching a lot of those documentaries lately.

The one on Andre was very well done.

Also saw one on Brett Hart / Steve Austin around what may have been the single best match in wrestling history, the "I Quit" match.  If that wasn't the greatest match it is without a doubt one of the greatest matches.  From the building of the story to the finish in the ring, it was great.  They got both guy "over" in one match.

On 7/3/2023 at 1:46 PM, Mr Bad Example said:

My true heartbreaking disappointment with wrestling came when I found out The Russian Bear, Ivan Koloff, was from Quebec. 

I was this many years old when I learned that Nikita Koloff was really from Minnesota.

(Magnum TA documentary)

2 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

How about finding out Yokozuna was Samoan and not Japanese lol

To be fair here, there was a time when I didn't watch much WWF.  I only knew about Yoko because I helped set up the ring for an event in Oshkosh.  Yoko was there and we had to actually reinforce the floor as he was going to do a drop onto the floor at a certain spot and we had to put more matts down there for him.

When that spot hit and he squashed the floor, you could feel it in your feet from about 40 feet away.  That's how large he was.

Cool part about that night?  After the event we were at a frat house, Bret Hart showed up with a few other wrestlers that I couldn't recognize.  They hung out and drank some warm beer for about 40 minutes, then left.  Bret signed the basement wall.  I didn't get to talk to him, so I can't tell if he was a Dean Lowry-like wanker or not.  But him just being there was pretty cool.

So, long way of me saying that I didn't follow the WWF enough during those Yoko days to care much about him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

To be fair here, there was a time when I didn't watch much WWF.  I only knew about Yoko because I helped set up the ring for an event in Oshkosh.  Yoko was there and we had to actually reinforce the floor as he was going to do a drop onto the floor at a certain spot and we had to put more matts down there for him.

When that spot hit and he squashed the floor, you could feel it in your feet from about 40 feet away.  That's how large he was.

Cool part about that night?  After the event we were at a frat house, Bret Hart showed up with a few other wrestlers that I couldn't recognize.  They hung out and drank some warm beer for about 40 minutes, then left.  Bret signed the basement wall.  I didn't get to talk to him, so I can't tell if he was a Dean Lowry-like wanker or not.  But him just being there was pretty cool.

So, long way of me saying that I didn't follow the WWF enough during those Yoko days to care much about him.

Sweet! I bet Bret would be fun back in the day 

whats the Dean Lowry story?

Edited by Rainmaker90

On 7/5/2023 at 9:25 AM, vegas492 said:

I've been watching a lot of those documentaries lately.

The one on Andre was very well done.

Also saw one on Brett Hart / Steve Austin around what may have been the single best match in wrestling history, the "I Quit" match.  If that wasn't the greatest match it is without a doubt one of the greatest matches.  From the building of the story to the finish in the ring, it was great.  They got both guy "over" in one match.

Dark side of the ring and the WrestlingBios channel on Youtube are pretty good. I don't follow it today, but I can jump down a rabbit hole from my middle school days any time. 

On 6/25/2023 at 2:29 PM, MacReady said:

Tell me how he carried the team.

He’s been paid every nickel he’s worth. The salary cap exists. If he was paid less, our rosters were inexcusable. He was paid at or above his value every single year since 2011, so tell me how he has carried the team.

Otherwise, you have no high horse to be on.

You miss the point. By a distance.

We are packers fans, we should be mocking Vikings and Bears fans, laughing at Bears for not having a QB for 30 years and proud of our own.

I did get it when Rodgers was here and a lot of people wanted to move on. But we have Love and an exciting new team. But still the anti Rodgers toxic rubbish goes. Rodgers was incredible player for us and made the last 20 fantastic (play off defeats are painful but 6-11 seasons lose their appeal very quickly). Why are we still mocking Rodgers and belittling his achievements. You are supposed to be a Packers fan not a Vikings fan that is supposed to be their job.

I honestly don't get it.   

3 hours ago, mikemike778 said:

You miss the point. By a distance.

We are packers fans, we should be mocking Vikings and Bears fans, laughing at Bears for not having a QB for 30 years and proud of our own.

I did get it when Rodgers was here and a lot of people wanted to move on. But we have Love and an exciting new team. But still the anti Rodgers toxic rubbish goes. Rodgers was incredible player for us and made the last 20 fantastic (play off defeats are painful but 6-11 seasons lose their appeal very quickly). Why are we still mocking Rodgers and belittling his achievements. You are supposed to be a Packers fan not a Vikings fan that is supposed to be their job.

I honestly don't get it.   

Losers always whine about division titles and being better than their division.

Winners take home Lombardis.

It’s as simple as that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MacReady said:

It’s as simple as that.

To expand a little.  The reason I'm somewhat sour on Rodgers is because he should have won 3-4 titles.  The reason he isn't is largely due to himself.  (Play in big games and record setting contracts.)

Add in a press conference where he ripped his front office, throw in a little psychodelic drug stuff, add in some family drama and you get this kind of negative reaction.

A lot of this will be forgotten or forgiven over time.  He will come back to Lambeau and be worshipped again.  But it's going to take time.

In regards to the division?  He won it 8 times out of 15 seasons.  He's talked about like he dominated the division.  And for a time he did.  But not when you look at all of his seasons.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MacReady said:

It’s as simple as that.

You tried saying this in a Sean Connery accent didn't you?

Rodgers was flat out adored by the fanbase until he sandbagged it at the end of the McCarthy tenure and became bigger than the team and just continued to compound on it from then on. You don't pull that **** in a blue collar state. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Rodgers was flat out adored by the fanbase until he sandbagged it at the end of the McCarthy tenure and became bigger than the team and just continued to compound on it from then on. You don't pull that **** in a blue collar state. 

It's really this simple.  Rodgers has earned every bit of the current negativity. Not sure why anyone would find it surprising.

A dozen years from now, the negatives will be an afterthought and Rodgers will rightfully be thought of as the best player to ever wear a Packers uniform.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

A dozen years from now, the negatives will be an afterthought and Rodgers will rightfully be thought of as the best player to ever wear a Packers uniform.

Even now I don't think I've seen a QB perform at a higher level than Rodgers at his peak. Though I think Mahomes is right there with him. 

I agree 100% though. When Favre came back to Lambeau with Bart Starr I was like "this feels right, he should be cheered by 80k Packer fans." Hopefully Rodgers gets a similar moment.