2023 Rookie Minicamp / OTAs / Training Camp

Leader

19 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

Andy Herman talked about that today. Said it looks like RT is shaping up as a battle between Yosh and Tom. 

Still surprised. Jones looks like a RT and thought Yosh was better at LT as well as Tom looking small for RT too. Interesting.

15 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

Still surprised. Jones looks like a RT and thought Yosh was better at LT as well as Tom looking small for RT too. Interesting.

Could just be that LT is bak and you want tom/nijman competing in position.

Not that caleb is ahead of either at LT

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

Could just be that LT is bak and you want tom/nijman competing in position.

Not that caleb is ahead of either at LT

That’s how I see it. RT is the biggest open spot. Caleb is back up swing tackle so let the guys who are ahead of him compete for the open spot. They will also move around as this process unfolds. I remember that as versatile as Jenkins is, he really prefers playing on the left. Keep 69 and 74 in that position of strength and possibly have 74 slide over to LT next year if we can’t keep the band together. 

Yeah, it sure sounds like Tom/Nijman are the main guys competing for STARTING at RT.  

Jones is competing for a back-of-roster depth spot.  Depth guys are supposed to be able to play at least 2 positions, so for him to get LT work makes sense.  

Jenkins had a locker-room interview.  Sounds like it's LG for him, no ambiguity, no consideration/competition for RT.  Injuries change everything at unexpected times, obviously.  But it sounds nice to have the left side locked down and defined. 

Bakhti said he's feeling good.  A summer with no surgeries, nice.  

I know there have been thoughts that Runyan was lousy and needs competition.  Same for Myers. 

But I kinda get the sense that barring injuries, that four starting spots are pretty-much commited to the tenured guys, and it's only RT that's actually up for competition.  Obviously injuries come early and often for OL, so everything can shake up in a moment.  But I think things might be more set than has been true in years. 

Runyan has limits to his talent, but after moving positions, I wonder if being locked in for RG might help him?  He was a LT in college; transitioned to LG; then last year bopped to RG in-season.  I'm hoping that being all in from Camp Day 1 at RG will be to his advantage.  

I don't know why, but at the moment, I'm kinda anticipating Tom winning the starting RT job.  

21 minutes ago, craig said:

I don't know why, but at the moment, I'm kinda anticipating Tom winning the starting RT job.  

He seems like a natural with his feet/hands coordination, plays fast plus has some great fight to him. As an NFL player he’s not a dominant size/strength guy but that could be mitigated by just getting to his spots faster. There are of course plays where you just need to be able to pound it and he has to prove he can do that consistently. Nijman, who also has good feet, would seem like the guy just looking at body type but ZT might play his way into making it hard to keep him off of the field. 

Edited by Refugee
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Refugee said:

He seems like a natural with his feet/hands coordination, plays fast plus has some great fight to him. As an NFL player he’s not a dominant size/strength guy but that could be mitigated by just getting to his spots faster. There are of course plays where you just need to be able to pound it and he has to prove he can do that consistently. Nijman, who also has good feet, would seem like the guy just looking at body type but ZT might play his way into making it hard to keep him off of the field. 

Tom looks much bigger this year to me in his lower body from the OTA pictures. I think he is our next 4th round steal in the 0-line. 

6 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Tom looks much bigger this year to me in his lower body from the OTA pictures. I think he is our next 4th round steal in the 0-line. 

That's good.  I admit I'd wondered if given his frame and age, if he'd have more good strength to add? I'd wondered if he might not already be at/near optimal.  Given that he's already 24, he'd had years in SEC weight room; with an older brother in the NFL; and as the son of an SEC professor perhaps with early access to high-level weight-training that most kids don't have while growing up?  

But if he's stronger and better now, that's awesome.  Hopefully some added functional strength will help, at no expense to his quickness and balance.  

18 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Looks like Musgrave is showing out in OTAs so far. I know there is a contingent that likes Tucker Kraft more but Musgrave it going to be the real deal. Count on it. 

Makes one think of the days of Keith Jackson and Mark Chmura.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Looks like Musgrave is showing out in OTAs so far. I know there is a contingent that likes Tucker Kraft more but Musgrave it going to be the real deal. Count on it. 

I like that he’s taking to it. I will say, his absolute inability to break tackles means he should look great in shorts but might be a different story under fire. I think Kraft shows what he’s got once the pads come on. 

Edited by Refugee

On 6/1/2023 at 1:44 PM, craig said:

Yeah, it sure sounds like Tom/Nijman are the main guys competing for STARTING at RT.  

Jones is competing for a back-of-roster depth spot.  Depth guys are supposed to be able to play at least 2 positions, so for him to get LT work makes sense.  

Jenkins had a locker-room interview.  Sounds like it's LG for him, no ambiguity, no consideration/competition for RT.  Injuries change everything at unexpected times, obviously.  But it sounds nice to have the left side locked down and defined. 

Bakhti said he's feeling good.  A summer with no surgeries, nice.  

I know there have been thoughts that Runyan was lousy and needs competition.  Same for Myers. 

But I kinda get the sense that barring injuries, that four starting spots are pretty-much commited to the tenured guys, and it's only RT that's actually up for competition.  Obviously injuries come early and often for OL, so everything can shake up in a moment.  But I think things might be more set than has been true in years. 

Runyan has limits to his talent, but after moving positions, I wonder if being locked in for RG might help him?  He was a LT in college; transitioned to LG; then last year bopped to RG in-season.  I'm hoping that being all in from Camp Day 1 at RG will be to his advantage.  

I think you are anticipating Tom winning the RT job because he's a better player. I don't actually expect that one to be close in the end. 

I'm hoping, maybe wishful thinking, that Sean Rhyan gets his act together and at least pushes Runyan. The kid was only 21 years old last season. He's still got a chance to grow into this NFL deal. 

2 hours ago, Refugee said:

I like that he’s taking to it. I will say, his absolute inability to break tackles means he should look great in shorts but might be a different story under fire. I think Kraft shows what he’s got once the pads come on. 

Why can't they both turn out to be studs? Kind of like Gronk and Hernandez, without one of them turning into a psychopathic killer. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Refugee said:

Long guys, there are lots of legs to grab.  Breaking a tackle is only an issue if he's successfully caught a pass.  Tackle-breaking seems a low priority to me.  If that's his only weakness, that bodes well.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, craig said:

Long guys, there are lots of legs to grab.  Breaking a tackle is only an issue if he's successfully caught a pass.  Tackle-breaking seems a low priority to me.  If that's his only weakness, that bodes well.  

He’s still a big guy.  Pick those gams up and plow through some of those arm tackles. I’m excited to see him play, especially his ability to move in the seam and catch it. I just hope he’s tough enough to help us in the run game and keep the ball moving forward when he does catch it. 

• Like 1