2023 Rookie Minicamp / OTAs / Training Camp

Leader

2 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

Hanson benched 33 times at the combine, so his upper body strength is likely good enough. Scouting report though, points to lack of lower body strength. 

Bench press is a measure of work ethic, not upper body strength.

225 for Offensive Lineman is high-reps/low-weight. It's closer to a conditioning test than a measure of strength.

The logic is that people bench press just about every time they lift, that naturally build up the muscular stamina to rep out a bunch. 

But there are guys that only can do 16 at 225 that have much higher maxes than guys who can do 35. 

It's honestly just another way to look at a guys weight room attendance records for college. 

• Like 1

OldGuy, I'm super hopeful that Stokes will be 100% physically, and in future will pretty consistently play at the best that we saw as a rookie, or better thanks to experience.   

But yeah, it is possible injury will keep him from being the guy we saw, or hoped he'd blossom into. 

It's also possible that a guy never regains the rookie self-confidence to play guys tight.  Maybe even if 100% healthy, he's gotten coached to play conservative and with bigger cushions?  As a rookie, they initially just had him play man-to-man to keep it simple for him, at which he seemed very good to my amateur eye?  But then Gray increasingly coached him to play soft zone with increasingly big cushions, coached away from his speed/mirror strength? 

I'm hopeful the new secondary coach might help him and coach him toward his strengths?  But coaches don't always do that.  And MLF's soft-cushion preferences may not work towards Stokes's strengths.   

11 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

None of those guys have the obvious size/strength deficiencies that Hansen has. 

I thought that EDS and Patrick got pushed around pretty well before they were ready, maybe I am incorrect.  And Lane Taylor had technique problems as a young player. 

All I am advocating for is letting the guy have a healthy year at his actual position before throwing him in the trash.  Chances are that he ends up cut and you can trash him all you want.  

This will be the first time in a few years I haven’t made it in for at least one camp practice. Any of you railbirds fortunate enough to be there, share what you see. Especially interested in the young guys and the longshots, oh yeah and also on QB1. 

15 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Ignoring everything else . . . Look at him on the field competed to the other guys. Are his shoulders as wide? Is his chest as deep? Are his thighs as thick? 

I agree.  He looks small and slight.  

I remember Scott Wells.  Listed at 6'2''.  One time my father and I were standing next to him.  I'm a little over 6 feet tall.  My dad was 5'11''.  I was taller than Wells, even my father was.

I don't see 6'4'' on Hanson, just like I don't see the barrel chest or the physical attributes needed to play OL in the NFL.

17 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Bench press is a measure of work ethic, not upper body strength.

225 for Offensive Lineman is high-reps/low-weight. It's closer to a conditioning test than a measure of strength.

The logic is that people bench press just about every time they lift, that naturally build up the muscular stamina to rep out a bunch. 

But there are guys that only can do 16 at 225 that have much higher maxes than guys who can do 35. 

It's honestly just another way to look at a guys weight room attendance records for college. 

It's also related to the length of one's arms. Shorter armed guys have a lot less up and down motion per rep which matters, a lot. 

16 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Freak. 

I never really bought the narrative that Gary was in danger of not being ready to play for Week 1, or at least being activated by then and maybe missing the opener. I'll be pretty shocked if he doesn't come off the PUP list and that's even with our notoriously conservative medical staff making the decisions. 

4 hours ago, Refugee said:

This will be the first time in a few years I haven’t made it in for at least one camp practice. Any of you railbirds fortunate enough to be there, share what you see. Especially interested in the young guys and the longshots, oh yeah and also on QB1. 

I'm headed up there this Saturday for the week. I'll be at the practices next Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Refugee said:

I'm going to the live scrimmage sessions with the Patriots.  Hopefully, weather permits.  First time I've gone to a scrimmage so if anyone has any information on what to expect in terms of crowd, seating, and getting in....let me know.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I never really bought the narrative that Gary was in danger of not being ready to play for Week 1, or at least being activated by then and maybe missing the opener. I'll be pretty shocked if he doesn't come off the PUP list and that's even with our notoriously conservative medical staff making the decisions. 

The medical staff is what scares me the most.

Gary is a superhuman and I thought he’d heal ahead of schedule 

36 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Freak. 

Bordering on first round bust territory.

Still hasn't come close to even 10 sacks in a season.

56 games played in.  22.5 sacks.

Dude's gonna want to sign that extension, quick, before GB realizes that he's going to be OLB2 to Van Ness very soon.  

Probably why he's trying so hard to come back from that injury. 

Bust.  Bum.  

:)

Edited by vegas492
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Bordering on first round bust territory.

Still hasn't come close to even 10 sacks in a season.

56 games played in.  22.5 sacks.

Dude's gonna want to sign that extension, quick, before GB realizes that he's going to be OLB2 to Van Ness very soon.  

Probably why he's trying so hard to come back from that injury. 

Bust.  Bum.  

:)

REACH! Not worth 12th overall !