2023 Rookie Minicamp / OTAs / Training Camp

Leader

15 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Looking at the smoke map, is there any chance the Packers cancel practice today? Green Bay looks to be right on the edge of the really bad air. 

I know baseball games were cancelled in NY back in June because it was so bad. 

Rain, including thunderstorms might move practice inside today.

What do you guys see for our RB room next year? Jones another year older who probably will regress soon. 

Dillon needs another contract and as much as I like him as a person, he’s just not a guy I’d give a second contract to. He’s been slightly above average ? 

For as much as MLF likes to run the ball, and the likelihood of us having two 1st rounders, I can see them taking a 1st round RB. I don’t know anything about the RBs coming out but I can see it.

What do you guys think 

2 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

What do you guys see for our RB room next year? Jones another year older who probably will regress soon. 

Dillon needs another contract and as much as I like him as a person, he’s just not a guy I’d give a second contract to. He’s been slightly above average ? 

For as much as MLF likes to run the ball, and the likelihood of us having two 1st rounders, I can see them taking a 1st round RB. I don’t know anything about the RBs coming out but I can see it.

What do you guys think 

@Packerraymondtold me I'm not allowed to use the words I would need to utilize to describe the absurdity of this idea.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

What do you guys think 

Zero chance of a 1st round running back or my laptop and TV will need to be replaced. Because the laptop will be thrown right through the TV when they announce it.

I don't see Jones and Dillon both on the team. I could see one of them here though. Jones will be 30 but he's not the typical 30-year-old running back in terms of wear and tear. IF he'd do a team friendly deal, I'd extend him but there really is not much chance he'd play for what I would offer. Which would be in the 8-9 a year range over a few years. Dillon hasn't earned a second deal with his production so far. I'm cautious of guys who come up big in contract years also. 

After that, it's a crapshoot. Goodson, Nichols and Taylor are just JAGS until one of them proves something. Full disclosure, I don't know enough about Nichols. 

I see an investment draft wise to get a second back, probably 3-5 round. 

It's a really great question though. 

Edited by Old Guy

11 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

What do you guys think 

Jones ONLY has a cap hit of 17.7 million next year.  Given his age, it is probably best to take our medicine while we still can, with a relatively cheap QB, rather than just putting this off for longer.  If I am reading spotrac correctly, we also can save 5 million by releasing him next offseason, but I don't understand how the void years work on contracts, so that may be incorrect.  On the plus side with Jones, he has been taken care of with fewer touches than the typical 29 year old back.  I do believe that RBs do hit a wall at about 30, but they also are usually run into the ground by then.  I am not sure that is the case with Jones.

A depressed RB market really helps with AJ Dillon.  If Saquon is only getting 10 million, then the market for AJ Dillion should be a lot cheaper than that.  His price may not be out of our comfort range, and he really is the rare case of a guy that may take a little less because he seems to absolutely love Wisconsin.  Dillon also has less wear on the tires because of platooning with Jones.

Taking the first round RB is usually a poor investment.  There are a lot more Clyde Edwards-Helires than there are Emmitt Smiths.  Even if you are happy with the rest of the team, I am still thinking that taking the best OL/DL and letting them develop is a better strategy.  The fact that we have gotten good production from:  Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams, Ryan Grant, and James Starks shows that a major investment is not needed at the RB position.  Just find the guy that fits what you want to do the best, in a later round.

My plan moving forward would be:  1.  Keep Aaron Jones for the remainder of the contract.  Yes, it hurts, but I think we can take it.  2.  Re-sign Dillon at somewhere between 3 and 5 million per year.  3.  Then draft an Aaron Jones type in the 4th or 5th round until you hit one again.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

After that, it's a crapshoot. Goodson, Nichols and Taylor are just JAGS until one of them proves something. Full disclosure, I don't know enough about Nichols. 

From the limited stuff I have seen on youtube, Nichols looks like a slightly stouter version of Patrick Taylor.  I have been the Patrick Taylor honk since we got him.  But I am not sure that you don't just go with the 21 year old over the 25 year old at this point.

38 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

What do you guys think 

The last thing we need is to use a first on a RB.

I feel like this.....  If they can continue to work out the comp for Jones, he's back.   We've not really run him into the ground and he still showed the quicks and speed last year.

Dillon?  I feel like if he does 700 rushing yards or so this year, without blowing up and going over 1,000, he can come back on 3 year deal in that $15M range.  He loves the area and that could be an easy re-signing.

Also?  No issue letting one go and drafting some RB's in the mid rounds.

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

The last thing we need is to use a first on a RB.

I feel like this.....  If they can continue to work out the comp for Jones, he's back.   We've not really run him into the ground and he still showed the quicks and speed last year.

Dillon?  I feel like if he does 700 rushing yards or so this year, without blowing up and going over 1,000, he can come back on 3 year deal in that $15M range.  He loves the area and that could be an easy re-signing.

Also?  No issue letting one go and drafting some RB's in the mid rounds.

I hope AJD earns a second contract but with the market being where it is, it might be low money and short term even if he plays decent. Jones is great but we should have more talent already in the pipeline to replace him. RBs can contribute early but I see it kind of like the Adams situation where we are not creating a plan of succession while we still have a talented guy reaching an expiration point. 

8 minutes ago, Refugee said:

I hope AJD earns a second contract but with the market being where it is, it might be low money and short term even if he plays decent. Jones is great but we should have more talent already in the pipeline to replace him. RBs can contribute early but I see it kind of like the Adams situation where we are not creating a plan of succession while we still have a talented guy reaching an expiration point. 

Not the same. You see a handful of rookie RB's making a big impact every year. They are often mid to even late round selections. The vast majority of rookie WR's take a year or two to figure it out. Not so much with RBs. 

9 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Yeah...that's kind of where I'm at too.

But, I do see a success plan with Dillon, should we move on from Jones.

And yeah, RB's from all over the draft can be inserted right away and produce.