2023 Rookie Minicamp / OTAs / Training Camp

Leader

11 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I am EXTREMELY skeptical about Rhyan's ability to function at Tackle. Stranger things have happened in this system, but Rhyan seems like a very natural fit at Guard. I also don't know what you project Rhyan to do at Tackle that Nijman doesn't already. 

If the goal is to get Rhyan into the lineup, it would seem that the most direct route to it is to have him overtake Runyan. 

+++

I think the easiest lineup here is:

LT: Bakhtiari (Best guy on the offense right now. If you're SB contenders or close this year and he plays well, you keep him around and restructure his contract. If not, he's trade bait. Get a 1st round draft pick for a team making a push.)

LG: Jenkins (So long as he's got his money, he's probably happy on the interior. Depending on healthy, I'm still not sure he isn't the second best RT on the team.)

Center: Meyers/Tom (I lean Meyers in this fight predominantly because I want Tom to win the RT job.)

RG: Runyan (as underwhelming as it is, he'll make it based on his pass pro. I hope somebody takes that job from him, but I don't see a likely candidate. 

RT: Tom/Nijman (Nijman's in his walk year, and unless something's going on with Bakhtiari's play/healthy/attitude, I suspect Nijman is probably gone. I truly believe Tom is the future at one of the OT spots, and if that's the case I want to get him settled in immediately. 

A 1st round pick for a 33yr old (in 2024) who’s had knee issue for years? That would be an impressive haul.

4 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

A 1st round pick for a 33yr old (in 2024) who’s had knee issue for years? That would be an impressive haul.

I could see a really desperate team making a playoff push do it near the trade deadline. That's about the only realistic scenario though.

11 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I am EXTREMELY skeptical about Rhyan's ability to function at Tackle. Stranger things have happened in this system, but Rhyan seems like a very natural fit at Guard. I also don't know what you project Rhyan to do at Tackle that Nijman doesn't already. 

If the goal is to get Rhyan into the lineup, it would seem that the most direct route to it is to have him overtake Runyan.

I'll tell you one thing he's not...a Center. Been playing there some the last two days he's hitting about 1 out of every 5 shotgun snaps withim reach of the QB lol. It's bad. 

8 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

You really don't see "starting calibre left tackles" available, basically ever.

let alone pro bowl caliber

Comp is Duane Brown trade, traded for a 5th and a 2nd and a player.  Goal is laremy tunsil, but that was a huge overpay and a younger player.

8 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

You really don't see "starting calibre left tackles" available, basically ever.

It's happened in recent memory. Laremy Tunsil and Trent Williams are just two off the top of my head. Just to be clear, I don't think it will happen, but there is a scenario where the Packers are sellers at the trade deadline. Then and only then could I see it potentially happening.

5 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I don’t really care much what ESPN puts out there but does anyone else find what Rob says about Love so far a bit contradictory to what they’ve been reading/seeing out of camp for everyone else?

Pretty much sums up everything I've seen so far.

On 8/1/2023 at 4:27 PM, Rainmaker90 said:

Interesting thought. I’m assuming Tom’s best position is at RT. Idk why maybe it’s just wishful thinking on my end. 

I can’t believe we took Myers right before Creed Humphrey lol. 

Passing on Humphrey was a big gaffe. However, the problem is not that Myers isn't as good as Humphrey . The problem is that Myers just hasn't been very good. The Packers don't have to have an All-Pro at C. What they need is some good, consistent play . 

6 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I don’t really care much what ESPN puts out there but does anyone else find what Rob says about Love so far a bit contradictory to what they’ve been reading/seeing out of camp for everyone else?

I think it's pretty fair .. from all I've been gleaning he's been up and down, but I do think a lot of it has to do with youth around him and the defense playing very aggressively.  The entire offense is in learning mode, and the defense is attacking them.  It's all good for the offense and the hope is that they grow up quickly.  As far as Love knowing the offense and having the skill set to achieve high marks, I think it's there, but it's going to take some time yet for sure.

Defense is always ahead of offense this time of year. It should be expected even more with the youth we have on offense. No doubt there will be some growing pains, but Jordan Love looks, acts and talks the part of being a franchise QB. 

If your defense, stacked with 8 FRPs, shows up this season, we are going to be just fine. If they perform up to their individual talent level, we will be extremely good and QB1 will not be the downfall. 

The Lions are winning with Jared Goof and a horrible defense statistically last year. 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, StatKing said:

It's happened in recent memory. Laremy Tunsil and Trent Williams are just two off the top of my head. Just to be clear, I don't think it will happen, but there is a scenario where the Packers are sellers at the trade deadline. Then and only then could I see it potentially happening.

Ravens traded Orlando Brown Jr to the Chiefs to play LT.

So, it does happen.  But that's the only other one that comes to mind.  

3 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

Rob's impression of Love has been accurate in my opinion.  He had one great day, one average day, and several ho-hum days.  There's lots of reasons for that.  Its a new quarterback, with either new or lightly experienced receivers andd tight ends learning routes and the adjustments that can be made to routes.  We don't have receivers with experience like a Donald Driver or Greg Jennings so the receivers are learning at the same time as the quarterback.  The one positive thing I hear about is that Love is making good and quick decisions as to where to go with the ball. Mechanics and throwing platform are something that are still in the works for him which maybe coupled with the imprecise route running are the cause of some of his accuracy issues. They are improving, but hopefully, these keep improving over time as he and the receivers get more reps under their belts.  The other thing I keep hearing is that with Love as quarterback, the Packers are attacking the center of the field much more than when Rodgers was quarterback. 

I'd like to ask Rob what was Rodgers doing during his first training camp as a starter in terms of completion percentage, accuracy, ect., just as a comparison.  He is keeping stats on Love so I wonder what Rodger's were his first training camp.

I'm really not too worried about Love.  Its the defense that worries me more.

Edited by minnypackerfan