2023 Las Vegas Raiders schedule discussion thread

Totty

7 hours ago, Jerry said:

People who received diplomas just for showing up.  They are the ones responsible.  When enough idiots congregate bad things happen.  Teachers are no longer being required to teach such important topics such as the importance of double spacing after periods.  Now they just smoke crack and hand out passing grades.

Never too late to start.

I’m all seriousness, the decay of the American k-12 education system is sickening.  College is a whole other level of insanity.  I’m so glad I graduated before all this stuff changed.  I got a very good education in public school and a state college.  My old regret is I didn’t give the extra effort in the later years because I was working 60-80hrs a week in college in order to pay for it and sports and work my senior year of high school.

Edited by jimkelly02
  • Like 2

On 5/23/2023 at 5:06 PM, jimkelly02 said:

Well… who is going to “Theisman” Mahomes?  

your right I didn’t say Crosby but I kinda of felt like it was implied.  
it’s not a “Theisman” if he’s in a bad car accident or something else.

Everyone’s entitled to their own opinion… but I want to take out the opposing QB on every snap.

Edit: Who other than Crosby can get to the QB on the team?!? lol

Just got caught up the past few pages and LOL oh my...I never said 'bounty' (paying for injuring players' and your comment about the QB going down and hard is spot on. Also the player you mentioned early was that kind of QB smacker. I want a guy that DOESN'T pull up if the QB is about to throw a game winning TD pass if he's worried about a 15 yard yellow flag. DRIVE THROUGH HIM! It's funny someone said 'weak mentality' and maybe they are looking at it differently or maybe I'M interpeting that comment differently. The weakness I see is the hesitation that happens in the person's mind in that split second that makes the difference in winning or losing. It's that play to the tail end of the whistle  (and push them down before picking them up) attitude. Hey all good and to each their own. Many have never been in situations where your mindset makes a difference to the outcome. I have and I'm a great guy with an 'intense vibe' some would say. LOL 

Oh and proper English/grammar I remember. COMMUNICATION the ability to send/receive 'signals' and understanding has always been more important to me because the words are usually a tiny part compared to tonality, body language (it's why I use emoji's so much here) and I'd add the 'vibration/frequency' which I would guess is where my intensity comes from. I really don't know but I find humans/humanity an interesting study. 

Now...TAKE ME TO YOUR LEADER!!!   lol   =P

Edited by G
  • Like 2

That whole roughing the passer because of a late hit flag is bullcrap.  It's okay if he just barely threw it but if you have a second or two to let up then you better do it.  Even if you don't have eyes on the QB or can't see him throwing the ball you better let up.  

Also, Maxx Crosby is the most held player I've ever seen in the NFL.  There are at least 31 OTs who are deeply in love with him and refuse to let him go.

We've literally lost games because the referees refused to throw a flag when Crosby was being held.  He goes entire series with OL just holding him like their lives depend on it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, G said:

Edit: Who other than Crosby can get to the QB on the team?!? lol

Just got caught up the past few pages and LOL oh my...I never said 'bounty' (paying for injuring players' and your comment about the QB going down and hard is spot on. Also the player you mentioned early was that kind of QB smacker. I want a guy that DOESN'T pull up if the QB is about to throw a game winning TD pass if he's worried about a 15 yard yellow flag. DRIVE THROUGH HIM! It's funny someone said 'weak mentality' and maybe they are looking at it differently or maybe I'M interpeting that comment differently. The weakness I see is the hesitation that happens in the person's mind in that split second that makes the difference in winning or losing. It's that play to the tail end of the whistle  (and push them down before picking them up) attitude. Hey all good and to each their own. Many have never been in situations where your mindset makes a difference to the outcome. I have and I'm a great guy with an 'intense vibe' some would say. LOL 

Oh and proper English/grammar I remember. COMMUNICATION the ability to send/receive 'signals' and understanding has always been more important to me because the words are usually a tiny part compared to tonality, body language (it's why I use emoji's so much here) and I'd add the 'vibration/frequency' which I would guess is where my intensity comes from. I really don't know but I find humans/humanity an interesting study. 

Now...TAKE ME TO YOUR LEADER!!!   lol   =P

yeah, at no time did anyone promote the bounty gate tactics.  That’s messed up and on a whole other level.

I’m a firm believer that sometimes it’s worth it to take a flag in football or a “Flagrant 1” foul in basketball.
While some here call it “weak” I see nothing weak in guys like Burfict or Regan Upshaw or Jack Tatum knocking someone’s head off.  The BadBoy Pistons made you think twice about getting to the rim…. And if you did you’ll pay for it.  In fact, I find it weak to complain about it.  Mad up and make me stop.  This isn’t a minority philosophy… there’s a reason teams value hard hitting Safeties: they make receivers make business decisions about going over the middle.

nothing makes me more mad when a defender has the QB in his grasp and would have slammed him into the ground if not for risking getting a flag… only to have the QB escape.

Now, Some fouls are stupid… like the CINCY LB outta Texas pushing the QB 2 yards and 2 seconds out of bounds on a late 4Q drive.  Or a blatant roughing the passer penalty on 3rd down at a decisive moment in the game.  As kids playing basketball we use to say “you got 5 fouls, use 4 of them and make it good”.  That’s the mentality I’m all about.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jerry said:

That whole roughing the passer because of a late hit flag is bullcrap.  It's okay if he just barely threw it but if you have a second or two to let up then you better do it.  Even if you don't have eyes on the QB or can't see him throwing the ball you better let up.  

Also, Maxx Crosby is the most held player I've ever seen in the NFL.  There are at least 31 OTs who are deeply in love with him and refuse to let him go.

We've literally lost games because the referees refused to throw a flag when Crosby was being held.  He goes entire series with OL just holding him like their lives depend on it.

I’d love for someone to do a deep film room dive on Crosby being held.  Your right he has to be #1 and maybe by a far margin.  He’s so good with his hands… he’s not blowing by with pure speed, he’s right there with you, then he’s by you so quickly and he’s got that length… it causes RTs to panic and hold.  Honestly, there was that one last drive last season where he was legit held on 90% of the plays… almost as if holding him was a pass blocking technique coaches teach.

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

I’d love for someone to do a deep film room dive on Crosby being held.  Your right he has to be #1 and maybe by a far margin.  He’s so good with his hands… he’s not blowing by with pure speed, he’s right there with you, then he’s by you so quickly and he’s got that length… it causes RTs to panic and hold.  Honestly, there was that one last drive last season where he was legit held on 90% of the plays… almost as if holding him was a pass blocking technique coaches teach.

Crosby is held 3x on the final drive against the Rams. I didnt know hooking the DE's neck was an acceptable pass blocking technique. 

13 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

yeah, at no time did anyone promote the bounty gate tactics.  That’s messed up and on a whole other level.

I’m a firm believer that sometimes it’s worth it to take a flag in football or a “Flagrant 1” foul in basketball.
While some here call it “weak” I see nothing weak in guys like Burfict or Regan Upshaw or Jack Tatum knocking someone’s head off.  The BadBoy Pistons made you think twice about getting to the rim…. And if you did you’ll pay for it.  In fact, I find it weak to complain about it.  Mad up and make me stop.  This isn’t a minority philosophy… there’s a reason teams value hard hitting Safeties: they make receivers make business decisions about going over the middle.

nothing makes me more mad when a defender has the QB in his grasp and would have slammed him into the ground if not for risking getting a flag… only to have the QB escape.

Now, Some fouls are stupid… like the CINCY LB outta Texas pushing the QB 2 yards and 2 seconds out of bounds on a late 4Q drive.  Or a blatant roughing the passer penalty on 3rd down at a decisive moment in the game.  As kids playing basketball we use to say “you got 5 fouls, use 4 of them and make it good”.  That’s the mentality I’m all about.

Easy to puff your chest our from your keyboard and watching 20 something year olds take hits on the weekends. You wouldn't be about that life if you had to live it, I'm sure of that. Like the dudes who think because they watch UFC and wear Affliction, they are hard. 

Anyway, totally different talking about the anything goes era of the 70's to today. And this all started not because you value players who are enforcers, but because you said you hope the best QB in the game gets "Theismaned" meaning a career ending injury. 

On 6/6/2023 at 6:47 AM, big_palooka said:

Easy to puff your chest our from your keyboard and watching 20 something year olds take hits on the weekends. You wouldn't be about that life if you had to live it, I'm sure of that. Like the dudes who think because they watch UFC and wear Affliction, they are hard. 

Anyway, totally different talking about the anything goes era of the 70's to today. And this all started not because you value players who are enforcers, but because you said you hope the best QB in the game gets "Theismaned" meaning a career ending injury. 

How dare you insult people who wear Affliction.  They are the toughest group of people I know.

On 6/6/2023 at 9:47 AM, big_palooka said:

Lmao at you of all people trying to G-check me.  That’s more delusional than your infatuation with “The Patriot Way”.  Sad old man behind his computer with a superiority complex.

I never pounded my chest acting hard… being a tough guy only landed me on a level 3-4 yard on a 10 year sentence… and it took the best lawyer in the state (and 100k) to get it down to that. You can be the toughest poster around… I ain’t stressing that one.  I’m proudly a square now.  Those days are way way way behind me.  Heck, i just got off paper for the first time in 20 years 2 months ago…. Making 190k a year legally… your right, I ain’t about that life no more… unless someone puts hands on my wife/daughter/family.

You can throw your little jabs all you want.. I could care less.  You ain’t no threat to no one.  

We definitely need to split the division if we're going to have a chance at getting a wild card.  3-3 at least.  I don't expect us to win against KC but we absolutely need to continue our streak of shutting out Denver and splitting with LAC.  Hopefully LAC ends up on IR like they do every season.  Right now they look like the much more talented team on paper, and I don't think coaching is going to make up for that.

I think a lot of our games are toss ups right now.  Really hard to predict where we're going to be with so much roster turnover across the NFL and new QBs starting under center.  Don't see us beating the bills.  50-50 on Steelers, Packers, Patriots, and Bears.  Steelers don't have Ben Roethlisberger which always gave the game away to us for whatever reason, Packers just lost Rodgers, Patriots don't even like their QB, and Bears may or may not take the next step towards relevance.  

I wouldn't be surprised if we lost to the Lions, Giants, Jets, and Dolphins.  All really good teams.  It's really going to be hard to predict W-L this season.  Lions, Giants, Jets and Dolphins are all on the cusp of playoff relevance.  Lions have a high-powered offense, Giants just hit the playoffs this past season, Jets just gained Rodgers, and Dolphins also hit the playoffs as well.  I believe 3 out of 4 of these teams will probably have better records than us by the end of the upcoming season.

We have like 4 division games over our last 6 games with the Colts and Vikings mixed inbetween.  Can't recall who the Colts have at QB so hopefully we can pull that one out.  I think the Vikings are the better team.

Optimistically I see us winning 9 games.  Worst case scenario I see us winning 5.  That's with 4 more losses that go to Denver, Patriots, Bears, Giants as my most likely extra losses.  

• Like 1

On 6/9/2023 at 9:12 PM, jimkelly02 said:

Lmao at you of all people trying to G-check me.  That’s more delusional than your infatuation with “The Patriot Way”.  Sad old man behind his computer with a superiority complex.

I never pounded my chest acting hard… being a tough guy only landed me on a level 3-4 yard on a 10 year sentence… and it took the best lawyer in the state (and 100k) to get it down to that. You can be the toughest poster around… I ain’t stressing that one.  I’m proudly a square now.  Those days are way way way behind me.  Heck, i just got off paper for the first time in 20 years 2 months ago…. Making 190k a year legally… your right, I ain’t about that life no more… unless someone puts hands on my wife/daughter/family.

You can throw your little jabs all you want.. I could care less.  You ain’t no threat to no one.  

*Couldn’t care less, my friend 😉

(apologies for being pedantic, it’s an irritation of mine 😄

On 6/9/2023 at 11:17 PM, Jerry said:

think a lot of our games are toss ups right now.  Really hard to predict where we're going to be with so much roster turnover across the NFL and new QBs starting under center.  Don't see us beating the bills.  50-50 on Steelers, Packers, Patriots, and Bears.  Steelers don't have Ben Roethlisberger which always gave the game away to us for whatever reason, Packers just lost Rodgers, Patriots don't even like their QB, and Bears may or may not take the next step towards relevance

This is the thing isn’t it? So many QBs on the move over the last two years and changes that it’s really hard to gauge who’ll be a riser and who’ll drop off, plus we’re a really unknown quantity.

We really could be anywhere from 3-14 to 10-7 I feel but much more likely to be around 6 or 7 wins. More than that and I’d say the coaching has gotten a lot out of our talent level. 

• Like 1

It's tough to predict where we're going to land, records-wise. I know you can never truly predict it anyway, but at least with Carr we knew we'd have a kinda reliable guy under center who would make it through the season and keep you competitive. Now we have a guy at QB, who while not a massive downgrade in terms of ability, has a career's worth of work telling us there's a decent chance he'll miss some significant game time.

Any prediction of the Raiders record in 2023 comes with the huge caveat of, IF Garoppolo can stay healthy.

With that in mind, if he plays every game, I think we're somewhere around 8 or 9 wins. If he misses even a few games... yikes.

• Like 1