Raider Team Activity Talk (Minicamps, OTAs, Training Camp)

RaidersAreOne

23 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

Lot's of positive and hopeful takes as usual from Sanjit.  Anything is possible of course, but I'd never bet on everything falling perfectly for the Raiders.

Also, what does being "better" mean?  If we win 7 games you could say we were better, even though we really weren't.

I could make a video saying the exact opposite and could potentially be right.  Jacobs will be traded and the run scheme will suffer.  Jimmy G is not an upgrade especially since he's on IR.  Players typically say nice things about their teammates. Every player I heard speak on our team had Carr's back when he was here. Even though we get those games vs teams on short weeks we still would be lucky to win even 2 of those games.

That would be a negative video for sure. However, it's more realistic.  This is the first time, in a long time, that I'm not on the offseason optimism train.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, true2form said:

Lot's of positive and hopeful takes as usual from Sanjit.  Anything is possible of course, but I'd never bet on everything falling perfectly for the Raiders.

Also, what does being "better" mean?  If we win 7 games you could say we were better, even though we really weren't.

I could make a video saying the exact opposite and could potentially be right.  Jacobs will be traded and the run scheme will suffer.  Jimmy G is not an upgrade especially since he's on IR.  Players typically say nice things about their teammates. Every player I heard speak on our team had Carr's back when he was here. Even though we get those games vs teams on short weeks we still would be lucky to win even 2 of those games.

That would be a negative video for sure. However, it's more realistic.  This is the first time, in a long time, that I'm not on the offseason optimism train.

It’s mid June and the whole team has never been on the field together, not a good sign.

6 hours ago, true2form said:

We have 6 games vs teams coming off playing on MNF. A huge scheduling advantage and unheard of in the NFL. Lots of teams may have 1 or 2 and we have 6. 

12 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

We have 6 games vs teams coming off playing on MNF. A huge scheduling advantage and unheard of in the NFL. Lots of teams may have 1 or 2 and we have 6. 

I don't disagree.  We will need that advantage to have any chance in all of those games though.  The worst team we play is Pittsburgh and they're always competitive with a good defense. We could go 0-6 in those games, even with the advantage.  That's depressing.

15 hours ago, big_palooka said:

There are 90 players. I doubt any of the 31 other teams have the entire team on the field together in June OTAs. 

How about starting RB and QB they seem kind of important

but hey Josh knows what he’s doing.

Edited by Bitty 2.0

On 6/19/2023 at 7:31 PM, bucksavage1 said:

Well I’ll give him credit for optimism certainly. He says he thinks we’ll be much better at rushing the ball this year…….we had the rushing leader last year! 

With regard QB, there is no question for me that Carr is more talented but he’s right that Garoppolo should be a better fit. So a less talented guy but better fit may be a slight uptick. The problem for me is that the offence was  pretty good last year and the glaring weakness was the defence. Now, if we can convert a few more third downs and convert more in the red zone that will give us chances. 

The defence for me has down graded at DT and LB and slightly upgraded elsewhere so there’s no seismic shift, not enough to really make a huge difference. I hope I’m wrong but I see a similar year to last year sadly.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

How about starting RB and QB they seem kind of important

but hey Josh knows what he’s doing.

It's OTAs. Calm down.

It's all about install and evaluating incoming players. They expect Jimmy G ready for camp. Was in meeting and teaching/learning the offense. Josh knows the offense and doesn't need to be at OTAs.

You're trying to feed a narrative, just stop.

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

Well I’ll give him credit for optimism certainly. He says he thinks we’ll be much better at rushing the ball this year…….we had the rushing leader last year! 

With regard QB, there is no question for me that Carr is more talented but he’s right that Garoppolo should be a better fit. So a less talented guy but better fit may be a slight uptick. The problem for me is that the offence was  pretty good last year and the glaring weakness was the defence. Now, if we can convert a few more third downs and convert more in the red zone that will give us chances. 

The defence for me has down graded at DT and LB and slightly upgraded elsewhere so there’s no seismic shift, not enough to really make a huge difference. I hope I’m wrong but I see a similar year to last year sadly.

Fair assessment! We need young players to develop to the next level in order for the defense to improve.

If Tyree Wilson comes back healthy and starts being disruptive across the d-line we got something 

31 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

Fair assessment! We need young players to develop to the next level in order for the defense to improve.

If Tyree Wilson comes back healthy and starts being disruptive across the d-line we got something 

Yeh, I mean we could get fortunate and the close losses become a few wins and we get the odd nice bounce but I just dont see us as that much improved as a whole. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

Well don't discount guys having a 2nd year in the defense.

1 hour ago, raidr4life said:

Well don't discount guys having a 2nd year in the defense.

Who though? 

Deablo missed way too much time. 

Hobbs was misused and unless we change that, it's a square peg, round hole situation. 

Crosby can't really get much better statistically until he has some DL help. 

Moehrig may not even fit the D to begin with. 

I think we're honestly banking more on a couple first year guys just being great fits- which is sensible enough given how much of the roster was inherited last year. I just don't see a lot in terms of second year leaps from many holdover from last year. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Who though? 

Deablo missed way too much time. 

Hobbs was misused and unless we change that, it's a square peg, round hole situation. 

Crosby can't really get much better statistically until he has some DL help. 

Moehrig may not even fit the D to begin with. 

I think we're honestly banking more on a couple first year guys just being great fits- which is sensible enough given how much of the roster was inherited last year. I just don't see a lot in terms of second year leaps from many holdover from last year. 

I guess the DTs are the ones we’re hoping make massive leaps. I’m not saying it won’t happen and I’d love it to happen as it would solve a massive issue but it seems more hope and blind faith. I’m listening acutely to hear anything about our DTs in camp and training 😃

55 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I guess the DTs are the ones we’re hoping make massive leaps. I’m not saying it won’t happen and I’d love it to happen as it would solve a massive issue but it seems more hope and blind faith. I’m listening acutely to hear anything about our DTs in camp and training 😃

It could happen.m with anyone. Moehrig or Hobbs or Deablo or whoever could take a massive leap. Stranger things have happened. I'm just not sure who to hold out the hope for, individually or position group wise