Raider Team Activity Talk (Minicamps, OTAs, Training Camp)

RaidersAreOne

9 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Without getting into crazy detail it would have to be a minimum of 8 wins.  If they can manage to win 8 games I would be in complete shock as the talent on this team is at the bottom of the league.  If JM can squeeze 8 wins out of this collection of bums then he would certainly have earned himself a third season because on paper this team has bottom three talent. The odds of winning 8 or more games is below 5 percent in my opinion. 

Oh yeh, I’ll be pretty happy with 8 wins as maybe I’m not quite so pessimistic but our defensive front 7 really concerns me. I get that people are saying we have Crosby, Wilson and Jones but really Jones was a shadow of his former self last season and Wilson is a very high ceiling but raw rookie. I’m hoping and thinking Jobes can bounce back somewhat but I’m not expecting vintage Jones and Wilson I think people are expecting too much, he’ll be eased into the rotation I think and will take time. Interior DLine and LBs look terrible to me. 

I think the offence should at least be in a par with last year, so top 12 but I think we should expect them to be slightly better with the resources we’ve used. I definitely want to see signs of ‘building’ though and better discipline, accuracy.

19 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Is that all you got?  Another post rooted in lies and falsehoods and I am starting to think that you spend every minute of your day thinking of Carr which is quite pathetic.  Carr is gone, it's time to move on with your life.  Typically I don't comment on posts from posters who lack a basic understanding of the game they claim to be a fan of and have zero business acumen but it's Friday and I'm bored.

Did you or did you not post saying you were "bullish" on the hire of McDaniels and Ziegler? Did you not praise them and how Carr was going to reach new heights under McDaniels?

It's rhetorical.... we all say the posts, so don't bother lying to us further. 

Edited by big_palooka

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Did you or did you not post saying you were "bullish" on the hire of McDaniels and Ziegler? Did you not praise them and how Carr was going to reach new heights under McDaniels?

It's rhetorical.... we all say the posts, so don't bother lying to us further. 

Initially I was bullish on the combo hire but as time went on and saw the on the field product my bullishness wained.  I was optimistic that having a young HC/GM was a good move as they both had a similar vision on how to build a winning franchise. 

Little did I know that JM had learned nothing during his second stint as an OC under BB and after his massive failure in Denver.  He still has a massive ego.  His inability to call a game for 60 minutes is something that I couldn't have fathomed.  His inconstancy and inability to make halftime adjustments was remarkable.  His inability to properly assess the quality of the players he rostered was mind boggling.  His refusal to bolster the Oline or D last offseason made zero sense.  His inability on how to properly utilize and motivate his players is something I assumed he would have figured out under BB.  His ability to motivate his players was terrible which was apparent by his regression in the teams record, as he inherited a team that played with grit and passion the year before which all but evaporated at the conclusion of the 2022 season..  That is 100 percent on him.  

The potential was there for the O to reach new heights if coached, motivated and lead properly.  I knew the D would be atrocious and but couldn't imagine the play calling to regress like it did, particularly in the second half of games.  I never expected this team to be a playoff contender but thought the O would be fun to watch, it wasn't.  The pieces were in place for it to be a fun and exciting O but just like in business assets can be mismanaged and that is precisely what occurred here.  

Then we move on to the conclusion of the season and how the Carr situation was embarrassingly handled.  Having an asset like Carr and turning an asset into a liability by extending him, including a NTC, benching him, having him walk and receiving nothing in compensation then incurring a 6M cap hit for the upcoming season is inexcusable from a business perspective that only a fool would condone.  Having 45M in cap space and fielding a roster to start this season that projects to be one of the worst in the NFL is incompetence but something I predicted as I knew after watching JM's first season as a HC that players and agents wanted nothing to do with this franchise.  He is an egomaniac loser that no player would want to play for only to get their teeth kicked in every Sunday.   

Initially I was bullish and optimistic that Lloyd Christmas had lucked himself into a good HC/GM combo that could lead us out of the doldrums of NFL purgatory.  The pieces were in place on O to have a fun and explosive product if managed properly but as we all saw once the season started that the management of these assets was quite poor.  That is on JM and DZ and they better pull a rabbit out of their hat this season or one if not both will be unemployed in short order.  

Let me ask you this, were you not in favor of moving on from Carr with zero plan in place no matter what the consequences were?  Were you not an advocate for getting rid of Carr, netting zero in compensation and incurring a 6M cap hit because "Carr was the reason this team regressed"?

Edited by Frankie2Gunz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Initially I was bullish on the combo hire but as time went on and saw the on the field product my bullishness wained.  I was optimistic that having a young HC/GM was a good move as they both had a similar vision on how to build a winning franchise. 

Little did I know that JM had learned nothing during his second stint as an OC under BB and after his massive failure in Denver.  He still has a massive ego.  His inability to call a game for 60 minutes is something that I couldn't have fathomed.  His inconstancy and inability to make halftime adjustments was remarkable.  His inability to properly assess the quality of the players he rostered was mind boggling.  His refusal to bolster the Oline or D last offseason made zero sense.  His inability on how to properly utilize and motivate his players is something I assumed he would have figured out under BB.  His ability to motivate his players was terrible which was apparent by his regression in the teams record, as he inherited a team that played with grit and passion the year before which all but evaporated at the conclusion of the 2022 season..  That is 100 percent on him.  

The potential was there for the O to reach new heights if coached, motivated and lead properly.  I knew the D would be atrocious and but couldn't imagine the play calling to regress like it did, particularly in the second half of games.  I never expected this team to be a playoff contender but thought the O would be fun to watch, it wasn't.  The pieces were in place for it to be a fun and exciting O but just like in business assets can be mismanaged and that is precisely what occurred here.  

Then we move on to the conclusion of the season and how the Carr situation was embarrassingly handled.  Having an asset like Carr and turning an asset into a liability by extending him, including a NTC, benching him, having him walk and receiving nothing in compensation then incurring a 6M cap hit for the upcoming season is inexcusable from a business perspective that only a fool would condone.  Having 45M in cap space and fielding a roster to start this season that projects to be one of the worst in the NFL is incompetence but something I predicted as I knew after watching JM's first season as a HC that players and agents wanted nothing to do with this franchise.  He is an egomaniac loser that no player would want to play for only to get their teeth kicked in every Sunday.   

Initially I was bullish and optimistic that Lloyd Christmas had lucked himself into a good HC/GM combo that could lead us out of the doldrums of NFL purgatory.  The pieces were in place on O to have a fun and explosive product if managed properly but as we all saw once the season started that the management of these assets was quite poor.  That is on JM and DZ and they better pull a rabbit out of their hat this season or one if not both will be unemployed in short order.  

Let me ask you this, were you not in favor of moving on from Carr with zero plan in place no matter what the consequences were?  Were you not an advocate for getting rid of Carr, netting zero in compensation and incurring a 6M cap hit because "Carr was the reason this team regressed"?

I don’t agree with everything said here, I think you’re too harsh on McDaniels, however, having a valuable asset like Carr and extending him to go on to cut him and let him walk for nothing except a dead money cap hit is very, very bad business indeed. Other teams got draft picks for guys like Darnold and Wentz for goodness sake.  I’m absolutely fine moving on from Carr but we absolutely should have received considerable compensation. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I don’t agree with everything said here, I think you’re too harsh on McDaniels, however, having a valuable asset like Carr and extending him to go on to cut him and let him walk for nothing except a dead money cap hit is very, very bad business indeed. Other teams got draft picks for guys like Darnold and Wentz for goodness sake.  I’m absolutely fine moving on from Carr but we absolutely should have received considerable compensation. 

What don't you agree with and why I am I being too harsh on JM?  He has had two full off seasons to build the roster "his way" and one can argue that this team is worse than the squad he inherited.  The on the field product last season regressed from one coached by a special teams coordinator.  How is that not on JM and his staff?

Edited by Frankie2Gunz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

What don't you agree with and why I am I being too harsh on JM?  He has had two full off seasons to build the roster "his way" and one can argue that this team is worse than the squad he inherited.  The on the field product last season regressed from one coached by a special teams coordinator.  How is that not on JM and his staff?

Agreed, screwed up passing on Rich for the HC position. Should have kept him and upgraded the coordinator positions.

This has to be a make or break for McDaniels, but so far this offseason has been lackluster to say the least. Will be an interesting season.

3 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Well, for one it’s a combination of GM and HC when signing extensions and so on so I don’t hold McDaniels wholly responsible for the contracts, nor the lack of getting trade compensation for Carr. 

I thought generally his play calling was pretty good with the odd blemish and he did take his foot off the gas too often. I thought some of his play designs were great. I think last season was a bit of an anomaly in that the team had so much go against them they kind of played with a backs against the wall spirit, us against everyone after the Ruggs and Gruden fiascos. It wasn’t pretty but they dig in and got it done. 

I thought McDaniels made a few glaring errors last season. Not giving Carr game time in pre season, rotating OLine and our going ultra conservative at times. He deserves criticism for those.

However, I think the team was very motivated and still played hard even after a losing streak so it’s unfair to say the team wasn’t motivated. I don’t think he came across with a huge ego at all and I think he did learn coaching under BB and as a play caller used Adams (apart from the end arounds), Hollins and Jacobs well. He’s still got a way to go but I think it’s unfair to portray him as an egomaniacal bum. It’s going to be fascinating to see this season as I totally agree with you, if we take this bunch into playoff contention he is some kind of genius! 😁

9 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Well, for one it’s a combination of GM and HC when signing extensions and so on so I don’t hold McDaniels wholly responsible for the contracts, nor the lack of getting trade compensation for Carr. 

I thought generally his play calling was pretty good with the odd blemish and he did take his foot off the gas too often. I thought some of his play designs were great. I think last season was a bit of an anomaly in that the team had so much go against them they kind of played with a backs against the wall spirit, us against everyone after the Ruggs and Gruden fiascos. It wasn’t pretty but they dig in and got it done. 

I thought McDaniels made a few glaring errors last season. Not giving Carr game time in pre season, rotating OLine and our going ultra conservative at times. He deserves criticism for those.

However, I think the team was very motivated and still played hard even after a losing streak so it’s unfair to say the team wasn’t motivated. I don’t think he came across with a huge ego at all and I think he did learn coaching under BB and as a play caller used Adams (apart from the end arounds), Hollins and Jacobs well. He’s still got a way to go but I think it’s unfair to portray him as an egomaniacal bum. It’s going to be fascinating to see this season as I totally agree with you, if we take this bunch into playoff contention he is some kind of genius! 😁

I didn't articulate my point correctly and you're 100 percent correct, it is the HC/GM combo when making personnel decisions and not solely JM.  When typed out JM I assumed it would be implied that they are working together on all personnel decisions, that was my fault..  I do not however feel that decisions are a 50/50 split as I feel like JM has the power in the situation.  The HC/GM combo could be a brilant move if the vision of the two is rooted in success and it's quite obvious after two off seasons that this GM/HC vision is not one that will lead to a championship.  

Play calling at times was good but that isn't impressive as some of the worst coaches in NFL history have glimpses of good play calling.  Glimpses of good play calling doesn't make a good HC.

I disagree in regards to the team playing hard, they didn't quit but they played with a fraction of the passion and heart they did under RB. That falls on JM and that lack of passion is reflective in the regression of number of wins from 2021 to 22.

11 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I didn't articulate my point correctly and you're 100 percent correct, it is the HC/GM combo when making personnel decisions and not solely JM.  When typed out JM I assumed it would be implied that they are working together on all personnel decisions, that was my fault..  I do not however feel that decisions are a 50/50 split as I feel like JM has the power in the situation.  The HC/GM combo could be a brilant move if the vision of the two is rooted in success and it's quite obvious after two off seasons that this GM/HC vision is not one that will lead to a championship.  

Play calling at times was good but that isn't impressive as some of the worst coaches in NFL history have glimpses of good play calling.  Glimpses of good play calling doesn't make a good HC.

I disagree in regards to the team playing hard, they didn't quit but they played with a fraction of the passion and heart they did under RB. That falls on JM and that lack of passion is reflective in the regression of number of wins from 2021 to 22.

That’s fair, though from my perspective I think we did play hard and we were in most games so the regression in record I put down to the fact that in decisive situations in 2021 we were able to make plays when it counts, like the Dolphins, Browns or the Cowboys games. In 2022 we just weren’t able to turn those moments like the Cardinals game, Titans game or the Chiefs game. Those few percentages went against us at crucial times. Carr was able to pull out wins in ‘21 but for one reason or another he wasn’t able to save us in ‘22 and the defence didn’t step up at all whereas they did on occasion in ‘21 despite not being good either year.

I guess I’m still in wait and see mode, albeit with McDaniels losing my benefit of the doubt which he had last year. A little naive maybe, but I’ve seen so many regime changes that I feel we have to at least give them a chance, though still keep a reasonable leash on them.

Mark will probably lean on Brady for advise and Brady is why we could attract something decent at some point in time.

I think 4 wins or less and McDaniels is gone unless Jimmy G never suited up and he might have another season.

5-7 wins is too hard to say if kept or fired. If Jimmy played all season 5-6 probably gets him canned.

8 Wins and I think he's safe. Darbsk mentioned the constant turnover of players and scheme fit. It was why I'd drafted CB Gonzo because what I read seemed he could play in any scheme. Wilson's injuries is what I didn't like about the pick but that also tells me the HC/GM combo feel pretty safe. Mark may be entrenched into changing the culture and there is a possibility the team surprises. Jimmy healthy and improving our red zone to scoring TD's and not FG's would go a long way but when watching him play for SF I just don't see him being more than a manager so our running game needs to be on point. Jacobs situation and how I've seen other vets handled under this HC/GM combo has me thinking it won't work out well. lol Our WR's and TE's are stacked if we can just get them the ball. 

So it's possible but odds are we are in the 5-7 win zone and bickering about our leadership. Brady's influence should help over time and in a city like Vegas where money is flowing the future will be better. Just don't know if I'll be watching by that time. Good luck either way.  😃

• Like 1