Jordan Love Appreciation Thread

vegas492

43 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

2022 Aaron Rodgers stats.

350 of 542 (64.6%) for 3695 yards.  26 TD.  12 INT.  32 sacks.

2023 Jordan Love stats, year to date (3 games remaining)

304 of 486 (62.6%) for 3368 yards.  25 TD.  11 INT.  28 sacks.

After Rodgers had multiple veteran receivers/tight ends and a superior OL with a mostly healthy Aaron Jones.

I don’t think Love is going to be worth his contract, but it’s been refreshing to see a QB give his teammates a chance rather than phoning it in.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MacReady said:

After Rodgers had multiple veteran receivers/tight ends and a superior OL with a mostly healthy Aaron Jones.

I don’t think Love is going to be worth his contract, but it’s been refreshing to see a QB give his teammates a chance rather than phoning it in.

I'm going to take the "wait and see" approach concerning Love and his next contract.

I'm looking at it this way, for now.  Love's first year starting is going to be either very similar to, or superior to, Rodger's last season playing here.  We know that wasn't a very good year for Aaron, so maybe it will be this...

Love's first year starting will be very similar to, or superior to, one of the "bad" statistical years for Rodgers.

And that is a very, very encouraging sign.

21 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I'm going to take the "wait and see" approach concerning Love and his next contract.

I'm looking at it this way, for now.  Love's first year starting is going to be either very similar to, or superior to, Rodger's last season playing here.  We know that wasn't a very good year for Aaron, so maybe it will be this...

Love's first year starting will be very similar to, or superior to, one of the "bad" statistical years for Rodgers.

And that is a very, very encouraging sign.

Wish we really had one more year to watch Love before paying him.  Technically we do, but they are probably going to want to extend him instead of having him play out the 24 season under his current deal.  Wish we would have just shipped Rodgers a year earlier when the returning draft pick comp was so high.  We'd have a really great idea of what Jordan Love is going to be right now.  It is what it is though, and the Packers have probably seen enough to know he's the guy going forward.

• Like 1

According to this (paywall) article three unnamed execs, one whose team plays against the Packers this year, thinks the Packers should go the franchise tag route with Love after the 2024 season.  One thought there were too many ebbs and flows in his play.  One didn't think there was enough info on Love yet to throw the big dough his way yet.  Another mentioned the Danny Dimes contract.  Randy Mueller, a former GM, thinks they should lock him up this offseason since they won't likely be able to find anyone better.  

I think what Love has been able to do with a super young cast around him leans me to side with Mueller.  Rodgers got his deal after like six games as the starter, but he also had a much more veteran cast around him to help with his transition.  Love has matched about everything that Rodgers did in his first season as a starter.  I think he's the guy, and has the work ethic to do what needs to be done to improve his game.  I can see waiting another year to hand out the big dough, but it could cost the Packers dearly if he takes his game up another notch or two.

https://theathletic.com/5150877/2023/12/21/jordan-love-aaron-rodgers-packers-contract/

• Like 1

The Packer won't be afraid to pay Love if they think he's the guy.  The question is, is he?

As I said before the season, he's a middle of the pack QB who is capable of putting together streaks of good football.  I wouldn't hitch my wagon to him getting us to a Super Bowl, but he's decent enough to keep a team floating.  

You are going to have to build a really good defense for him.  My guess is they'll extend him and see if he can jump to the next level of QB play.  He's still got 3 games or more to evaluate, things may be more clear after those games.

Edited by NFLGURU

21 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

According to this (paywall) article three unnamed execs, one whose team plays against the Packers this year, thinks the Packers should go the franchise tag route with Love after the 2024 season.  One thought there were too many ebbs and flows in his play.  One didn't think there was enough info on Love yet to throw the big dough his way yet.  Another mentioned the Danny Dimes contract.  Randy Mueller, a former GM, thinks they should lock him up this offseason since they won't likely be able to find anyone better.  

I think what Love has been able to do with a super young cast around him leans me to side with Mueller.  Rodgers got his deal after like six games as the starter, but he also had a much more veteran cast around him to help with his transition.  Love has matched about everything that Rodgers did in his first season as a starter.  I think he's the guy, and has the work ethic to do what needs to be done to improve his game.  I can see waiting another year to hand out the big dough, but it could cost the Packers dearly if he takes his game up another notch or two.

https://theathletic.com/5150877/2023/12/21/jordan-love-aaron-rodgers-packers-contract/

If he would go for it, I'd easily offer him a 3 year deal that averages (QB 12-15 rank) dollars.  Whatever that is.  And add in some bonuses and incentives.  Get the kid paid some really nice guaranteed money and see how the next few years shake out.

Also?  Wouldn't shock me for his agent to give the ole Danny Devito meme if this is offered.

Shaking Head No Nope GIF - Shaking Head No Nope Danny Devito ...

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

If he would go for it, I'd easily offer him a 3 year deal that averages (QB 12-15 rank) dollars.  Whatever that is.  And add in some bonuses and incentives.  Get the kid paid some really nice guaranteed money and see how the next few years shake out.

Also?  Wouldn't shock me for his agent to give the ole Danny Devito meme if this is offered.

I could see there being a performance based short extension. That could work well for both sides. 

The writer of that athletic article I posted above, Mike Sando, was on Locked on Packers today.  Pete Bukowski asked him what he would do with Love's contract.  Sando said he would wait until a month or so into the next regular season and see where they at and maybe get it done then if they are convinced. 

It would give the Packers the off-season, all of training camp, and a handful of 2024 games to view.  He doesn't think they should rush into a new deal with Love, because it's not a given that Love will get exponentially better.  Given the mechanical work that Love still needs it could make some sense to wait a while yet,  but if they wait that long then the other side might just say they want to wait it out even longer.  Then you might get into a franchise tag scenario.  

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

The absolute floor is 40 million a year. There is zero chance he is taking less than Daniel Jones. I don't know why you guys think he's going to take an uber team friendly deal at age 25. If he does then he's a complete moron, there is no guarantee he sees a third contract, he should be trying to get as much money as possible.

the basis for any Love contract is probably at the value of what a 2025 franchise tag would be.    Overthecap has 2024 QB franchise tag at about $36M.  That likey goes up around 10% with the recent Herbert/Hurts/Burrow contracts already done.  So figure $40M for a 2025 QB franchise tag.  

Now, whether Love is willing to "bet" on himself and parlay a 2024 season into a much bigger QB upper tier contract is an unknown.  

20 hours ago, squire12 said:

the basis for any Love contract is probably at the value of what a 2025 franchise tag would be.    Overthecap has 2024 QB franchise tag at about $36M.  That likey goes up around 10% with the recent Herbert/Hurts/Burrow contracts already done.  So figure $40M for a 2025 QB franchise tag.  

Now, whether Love is willing to "bet" on himself and parlay a 2024 season into a much bigger QB upper tier contract is an unknown.  

no reason to pay it if you can just tag it later though. we already have him at 40 and 50 million per year thru 2026