Jordan Love Appreciation Thread

vegas492

1 minute ago, craig said:

MLF has adapted to the young personnel.  Was initially pretty committed to early-down runs,  but between penalties and worthless runs, seemed like so many 2nd-and-8, 2nd-and-15, 2nd-and-20 series.  Lately 2nd-and-8 is the exception, not the norm.  And seems like more 1st-down pass plays.  

MLF figuring things out as the season progressed out has also been huge.  Last night was a clinic for the GB offense.

• Like 4

Congrats to the packers on a big win last night. Jordan love is playing as good as any QB in the league and they can be a dangerous team in the playoffs if they get in.

I appreciate that sentiment, but GB is not a dangerous team until the defense gets fixed, and it's not fixed yet.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, MacReady said:

I’m just so bummed that Love hasn’t even won a Super Bowl before he’s reached the do no wrong stage.

He sucked. You can say the rest of his team also sucked, but he contributed to that sucking by also sucking.

Terrible throws, terrible decisions, terrible consistency, terrible starts separate from the rest of the team.

We went through six years where every mistake of Aaron’s was attributed to the team. And now we’re right back to that.

This is how quarterbacks get paid too much and how mediocrity is born.

My perception of this phenomena is that the “do no wrong” crowd feel they have to compensate for the hate that comes when a QB takes over for a superstar. Rodgers got a ton of it his first couple years starting after Favre, and now Love is getting it as well. And then it just bleeds over to the rest of the fan base.

1 minute ago, Mazrimiv said:

MLF figuring things out as the season progressed out has also been huge.  Last night was a clinic for the GB offense.

I can't really figure out how the passing has worked. 

Everybody is all Love-struck.  But to be honest, to me it doesn't seem like Love's accuracy is anything special, nor his velocity?  The TD to Reed was a nice throw, but a lot of his passes last night seemed to be really slow floaters.  4th down throw to wide-open Melton was bad.  Had a bad throw or two on opening 3-and-out series.  Very bad throw to Doubs that should have been easy.  Missed a TD throw under some pressure.  There was a side-line throw to Reed that completed, but it seemed to take forever to get there, unlike the velocity Favre and rodgers, off balance or not.  Couple of the Melton completions seemed high, slow rainbows.  Velocity does NOT seem to be Love's distinctive, that's for sure.  

So, if throws aren't particularly accurate, nor have much velocity, how are receivers SO very open that those throws can still work?  I don't really get it.  Are MLF's schemes that great and I've never appreciated his play design?  Are the receivers so great?  Or, maybe is it Love's delivery-speed?  His release time is so quick that even without velocity the ball gets to target reasonably fast?  Beats me, it doesn't really make sense.  

I do admit some MacReady-like fear that we'll lock into Love long-term at mega-$$$.  Only to long-term realize his velocity and accuracy are JAG.  As soon as the protection and/or receivers become average, the passing game will be just average, too?  

3 minutes ago, packerstk7 said:

My perception of this phenomena is that the “do no wrong” crowd feel they have to compensate for the hate that comes when a QB takes over for a superstar. Rodgers got a ton of it his first couple years starting after Favre, and now Love is getting it as well. And then it just bleeds over to the rest of the fan base.

Is Love getting a lot of hate? I haven't really noticed it on a national level. I don't live in Wisconsin currently so I have no idea what the majority of the fans base thinks. I got the feeling that the way Rodgers carried himself the last couple years people were ready for the break up and excited to see what Love is.

9 minutes ago, craig said:

Everybody is all Love-struck.  But to be honest, to me it doesn't seem like Love's accuracy is anything special, nor his velocity?  The TD to Reed was a nice throw, but a lot of his passes last night seemed to be really slow floaters.  4th down throw to wide-open Melton was bad.  Had a bad throw or two on opening 3-and-out series.  Very bad throw to Doubs that should have been easy.  Missed a TD throw under some pressure.  There was a side-line throw to Reed that completed, but it seemed to take forever to get there, unlike the velocity Favre and rodgers, off balance or not.  Couple of the Melton completions seemed high, slow rainbows.  Velocity does NOT seem to be Love's distinctive, that's for sure.  

So, if throws aren't particularly accurate, nor have much velocity, how are receivers SO very open that those throws can still work?  I don't really get it.  Are MLF's schemes that great and I've never appreciated his play design?  Are the receivers so great?  Or, maybe is it Love's delivery-speed?  His release time is so quick that even without velocity the ball gets to target reasonably fast?  Beats me, it doesn't really make sense.  

I do admit some MacReady-like fear that we'll lock into Love long-term at mega-$$$.  Only to long-term realize his velocity and accuracy are JAG.  As soon as the protection and/or receivers become average, the passing game will be just average, too?  

on the velocity thing, part of that might be how effortful/effortless it looks.  A ball with some arc to it is not necessarily a low velocity pass as well.  there were 2 sideline throws, 1 to reed and 1 to Doubs that have the velocity and accuracy you want to see.   the skills are there, consistency and recognizing what type of throw is needed for the situation

4 minutes ago, craig said:

I get your concern on the velocity and accuracy. Love should work on his lower body strength and footwork/balance this offseason to improve in these two critical areas. If he works on this this offseason, you should see greater balance and more accurate throws at higher velocity. 

What Love does very well is throw with great anticipation. This really enhances his chances at getting completions as he gets the ball into the window sooner than the defensive back can get there.  At the beginning of the season both the route running of the receivers and timing between quarterback and receiver were still in development. This lead to a lot of off target throws. The receivers have improved in their route running through game experience and practice, so you're seeing more catchable throws from Love. They're better at making route adjustments now to based on the coverage.

I've got to give the coaches credit for their development. Offensive line play has gotten better too.

14 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

Is Love getting a lot of hate? I haven't really noticed it on a national level. I don't live in Wisconsin currently so I have no idea what the majority of the fans base thinks. I got the feeling that the way Rodgers carried himself the last couple years people were ready for the break up and excited to see what Love is.

He got a ton of hate the past few years in the national media, but once he showed that he was a worthy successor to Rodgers the tide definitely turned to the positive.  A lot of pundits have changed their tune this season.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

He got a ton of hate the past few years in the national media, but once he showed that he was a worthy successor to Rodgers the tide definitely turned to the positive.  A lot of pundits have changed their tune this season.

I think Love was just collateral damage in the media's collective "GB will suck without Rodgers" narrative.  For GB to suck, Love had to suck, therefore... Love sucks.

1 hour ago, MacReady said:

I’m just so bummed that Love hasn’t even won a Super Bowl before he’s reached the do no wrong stage.

He sucked. You can say the rest of his team also sucked, but he contributed to that sucking by also sucking.

Terrible throws, terrible decisions, terrible consistency, terrible starts separate from the rest of the team.

We went through six years where every mistake of Aaron’s was attributed to the team. And now we’re right back to that.

This is how quarterbacks get paid too much and how mediocrity is born.

There are only a handful of "Love can do no wrong" types in here.  It's as unavoidable as the remaining "Love actually sucks" crowd.  Most GB fans recognize that apart from some flashes, Love was not a quality QB1 for the bulk of Sep-Oct. 

If you are still thinking Love hasn't shown enough to pay him, that is where we disagree.

13 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

There was that weird narrative on Love's rookie year that he was 3rd on the depth chart behind Boyle.... " Love sucks, he cant/ couldn't even beat out Boyle for the #2 QB spot"

Like did people not consider that QB #2 was notreally important or the objective in the development process?