Jordan Love Appreciation Thread

vegas492

1 minute ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I thought it was a simple overthrow.  Sometimes that happens.

LIS, I think he drove a little too much into it but he put it along the seam where Musgrave was originally on his route. Musgrave changing to up to the middle of the field made it look much worse than it should've looked. Musgrave's done that a few times this year already.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Watched it a ton. I think he put the ball 100% where he wanted to. Musgrave started drifting towards the safety. If anything, the knock there would be that Love had too much on it, not that it was wildly inaccurate. 

I've been waiting for this to get posted. I said right away if looked like he was expecting Musgrave to keep going upfield and he didn't. I don't think that was a miss.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Packer_ESP said:

He's still 8th in ANYA, which I consider a way better stat than YPA since it takes sacks and TDs/INTs into account. I'd also like to add DPI yards into that but I haven't found any site that does so since I'd want to see it for the whole league, not just Love.

Would air yards take that into account?

27 minutes ago, Norm said:

I've been waiting for this to get posted. I said right away if looked like he was expecting Musgrave to keep going upfield and he didn't. I don't think that was a miss.

I think if Musgrave had stayed on the exactly same line to which Love threw it, it's still overthrown by a bundle.  Did Musgrave adjust a little?  Yes.  But if Musgrave was a straight missile on line to where Love threw it, it was still badly overthrown.  

• Like 1

I'd like to see more easy completions.  Not sure if some are there and Love isn't seeing them or is choosing other throws?  Or if MLF's play-calls don't create enough?  Or if our receivers don't have the quickness to create more.  

I agree with observation that Doubs has made some really difficult catches, but he hasn't been making easy ones... because he isn't that open.  

Agree that Watson and Jones could help.  Hope they're both back and sound by Thursday.  

4 minutes ago, craig said:

I think if Musgrave had stayed on the exactly same line to which Love threw it, it's still overthrown by a bundle.  Did Musgrave adjust a little?  Yes.  But if Musgrave was a straight missile on line to where Love threw it, it was still badly overthrown.  

I bet you it hits him in the hands if he's running up the seam.

27 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I bet you it hits him in the hands if he's running up the seam.

Tangent dumb question, because my football experience is modest. 

What should the receiver do in a situation like that?  Musgrave started running along the left hash.  There was a deep secondary guy somewhat to the left of that hash, another far to the right of the other hash.  Is it Musgrave's responsibility to stay on a straight line along the left hash, even if the left-secondary guy can get to that hash more quickly?  Or is it Musgrave's responsibility to adapt to the actual defenders and run towards the most open space? [To my amateur eye, his modest adjustment put him on path to bisect the two deep defenders, and to stay as wide open as possible as long as possible.]

So, is it best to run to the most open space?  (As an amateur, that simplistically seems smart.). Or is it best to stay exactly on whatever line you began with, even if it's running from space into coverage, because that's what QB's expect?  (That seems logical, too...). 

Sincere question from a guy trying to learn!  

Edited by craig

23 minutes ago, craig said:

Tangent dumb question, because my football experience is modest. 

What should the receiver do in a situation like that?  Musgrave started running along the left hash.  There was a deep secondary guy somewhat to the left of that hash, another far to the right of the other hash.  Is it Musgrave's responsibility to stay on a straight line along the left hash, even if the left-secondary guy can get to that hash more quickly?  Or is it Musgrave's responsibility to adapt to the actual defenders and run towards the most open space? [To my amateur eye, his modest adjustment put him on path to bisect the two deep defenders, and to stay as wide open as possible as long as possible.]

So, is it best to run to the most open space?  (As an amateur, that simplistically seems smart.). Or is it best to stay exactly on whatever line you began with, even if it's running from space into coverage, because that's what QB's expect?  (That seems logical, too...). 

Sincere question from a guy trying to learn!  

The defender starts well outside the hash though, and at the time the ball gets to Musgrave, the defender is still outside the hash. As long as the throw is at all inside the hash, I don't think he can make a play on it. 

Gotta say, that was a well-designed play. Toure down the right sideline keeps the one safety away from the middle of the field until it's too late. Wicks in the middle occupies the linebacker. Great call against the defense. 

1 hour ago, craig said:

I actually agree it still might be overthrown. But what Musgrave did made it look worse live.  I don't think it would have been "badly" though but IDK.

6 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I watched 'Vante get open on every damn route he ran last night despite being doubled.  And I mean, really open.

I'd love to give Love a weapon like that to rely on.  Make the offense easier for him.

Davante is killing it as usual but I felt for him esp after his comments to reporters following the game about how bad the culture is with LV.  I know he got paid big time but I bet there’s a huge part of him that desperately misses GB’s culture. 

4b2ff8ce-ce42-46a4-aba0-77c4f793e623_tex

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

The defender starts well outside the hash though, and at the time the ball gets to Musgrave, the defender is still outside the hash. As long as the throw is at all inside the hash, I don't think he can make a play on it. 

So you're saying Musgrave's instruction is to not adjust to the defenders and curve a little towards the more wide-open lane?  Just stay straight line?  

I also wonder if early in his route, if his route is supposed to target the alley between the hashes?  Or was it designed to go straight down the left hash?  I ask because early in his route, he seemed to angling towards the alley, but then a defender obstructed that; so he adjusted a little to the left to burn past that shallow defender and burst into open grass.  But yeah, that subtle adjustment moved him back towards the left hash line.  Maybe the playbook from the start asked for that to be down the middle of the hashes?  Beats me. 

Agree, the defense was ill-equipped to cover both Musgrave flying up the middle with Toure down the right side.   

2 hours ago, beekay414 said:

He's also pushing the football harder/more aggressively than anyone in the league. Whether that's by design or because we're committing procedural mistakes, who knows, but the fact is he's facing long downs a lot. Again, the absolute last thing to be worried about right now is his completion percentage for a multitude of reasons. 

Label me as not worried about it at all.

Our running game is putrid without Jones.  We are putting Love behind in the down/distance game.

Then we have also given him no effective check down options.  We have no RB that excels in that role.  And I have no idea what exactly it is that Deguara does for this team anymore.  Seems like he'd be a great safety valve guy.

But our offense is not doing Love any favors.  

For the throws that he's making, his % is just fine.  We just need to scheme him some easier ones.  It isn't like Rodgers didn't get 4-5 stand up passes a game to help bolster his statistics and keep the chains moving a little bit.  It's a common thing, and certainly something that we can do.

• Like 1