Jordan Love Appreciation Thread

vegas492

4 hours ago, Refugee said:

Putting Preston on Tae is a coaching thing. TEs will be asked to block and at the very least chip edge guys on many downs. They’ve got to become better there but it might not be soon. 

It wasn't so much a matter of Packers putting Preston on Tae. More a matter of Raiders putting Tae on Preston. OC's are always looking for ways to isolate a WR on a LB.  Raiders found a way, at least for 1 play. 

1 hour ago, Zycho32 said:

It didn't look like that. It looked like they deliberately lined Adams up where Preston was because Barry's defense keeps such rigidly defined positions and doesn't seem designed to shift people around. Like, did Preston line up anywhere besides the Right Edge this game? Did any of the Edge Rushers shift from left to right?

In base one of the EDGE is gonna be stuck with some coverage responsibilities, unless youre running 0 all day. We need to play more base to match up with the offenses packages to stop the run. But we've got thick Edge dudes, and we just cut Hollins who was the most fluid of the group. So now we're stuck dropping EDGE guys into a zone when really they've got no business doing that. So what I'm saying is get creative with the ILB guys and see if Duffie/quay can play a few of those base Edge snaps, get back to a more hybrid Sam, so they have a shot at being able to perform the zone coverage **** while being covered by the 5T so they have to set edge against a TE 

The roster is constructed as base nickel, where the EDGE wouldn't need to drop. Which is great, unfortunately we're being run out of it, and all Joe is deploying to counter are these basic *** 50 front schemes, while thats fine to when they do still run into it, square peg round hole **** is happening on the coverage front. They countered our counter. And it doesn't look like Joe has anymore depth to the bag.

Main problem to my suggestion would be that our ILB room is beat to **** and quite thin already. But I don't see any alternatives.

Edited by HighCalebR
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Leader said:

This is true. BF had Sterling and Brooks.

AR had Driver and Jennings.

Love has some nice weapons but they are raw and young. Both his top WR's last year missed time and this year too.

It's going to take time and until the WR's catch up a bit his % will be off. Get them all seeing it and not thinking it and i think they can take off. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

I'm going to remain as fair to Love as I can be. It's early and he needs the full season at least for a true evaluation. That being said, I would like to see his play start to ascend versus descend. That's the most concerning part for me. His overall play has gotten worse as the season has gone along. I don't really care about stats in the grand scheme of things for this season, but I want to be able to take away some signs that he's improving with the mental aspect of the game, reading defenses, seeing the field, that kind of stuff. Without it, the physical stuff will never really matter. 

Week by week I just want to see some improvement. 

Get his weapons on the same page also.........that's been a considerable issue. And from week 1-5 his Oline has gone from playing premium to playing like JV kids. Its been terrible that unit. 

I'm no Love apologist but we have seen some nice stuff early, he's regressed the last few weeks for a reason and many of them are beyond his control. 

I thought Love did his best Aaron Rodgers impression, that is Rodgers from the 2022 season, hold the ball too long, not get into rhythm and throw the ball deep at every opportunity. I feel he is getting into the idea of playing hero ball too much now. Wish he hadn't picked that up from his predecessor. 

P.S our left tackle sucks. Being back Yosh, that's why we are paying him the big bucks

8 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

I thought Love did his best Aaron Rodgers impression, that is Rodgers from the 2022 season, hold the ball too long, not get into rhythm and throw the ball deep at every opportunity. I feel he is getting into the idea of playing hero ball too much now. Wish he hadn't picked that up from his predecessor. 

P.S our left tackle sucks. Being back Yosh, that's why we are paying him the big bucks

The offense is out of whack.

Minus AJ...the running game's sputtering...and for that matter, same with the passing game. 

The WR's are running too many "tandem routes" putting them too close to each other - (not sure between 9, 87 & 11 there's a *crisp* <or Davante-like> route runner in the bunch) - and a few highlights from today "highlighted" Love staring down his intended target wayyyyyyyy too much. College days stuff returns.

Remedies start with AJ returning to full health and participation. The other stuff requires coaches yelling at people.

Guys, gals, those that lie betwixt, we all knew this was gonna happen right?  This whole season always was, is and will continue to be nothing but weekly massive overreactions in both directions for Love as a singular entity and the Packers as a whole.  Love played a pretty garbage game from the TV copy; it's possible the All-22 will look better, but I do kinda doubt it.  But the truth is the offense in general is just struggling because they're young as hell across the board and the NFL is a rough onboard if ever there was one.  It's not like there aren't glimpses; this isn't a team that does nothing right, just one that never does things right consistently.  They almost never get a consistent stretch of play from their OL for any real length of time.  The QB and receiving group is real green through the whole room, meaning they're learning pro ball on the fly together.  The best player on the offense (Jones) has barely played and Dillon is the worst style of running back to have for this group right now; he struggles to produce explosive plays without good line play and this offense just can't reliably string together enough plays to score without them.  The difference between 2nd and 10 and 2nd and 6 is more or less non-existent at the moment.

For now, temper them expectations and let's just see how they respond.  Adversity football is always going to be important, and this is a great early career opportunity for Love learn how to lead a team back on track.  Or to implode spectacularly, but either way should be an interesting watch.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Brat&amp;Beer said:

It wasn't so much a matter of Packers putting Preston on Tae. More a matter of Raiders putting Tae on Preston. OC's are always looking for ways to isolate a WR on a LB.  Raiders found a way, at least for 1 play. 

It can happen by design to have an OLB in coverage. But that OLB(Preston)on that WR (Adams) is not the move. It is part of the designed scheme, but rare, and thus falls in the coaching to sprinkle it in judiciously. TE blocking an edge is also by design but that is not a rare situation. Our rookies were severely overmatched but they have to improve. To be a complete TE you have to be at least a competent in line blocker. To be a good OLB you don’t have to be great in coverage and will in general only be asked to defend a short zone from time to time. That should not include covering 17 in said zone. 

55 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Guys, gals, those that lie betwixt, we all knew this was gonna happen right?  This whole season always was, is and will continue to be nothing but weekly massive overreactions in both directions for Love as a singular entity and the Packers as a whole.  Love played a pretty garbage game from the TV copy; it's possible the All-22 will look better, but I do kinda doubt it.  But the truth is the offense in general is just struggling because they're young as hell across the board and the NFL is a rough onboard if ever there was one.  It's not like there aren't glimpses; this isn't a team that does nothing right, just one that never does things right consistently.  They almost never get a consistent stretch of play from their OL for any real length of time.  The QB and receiving group is real green through the whole room, meaning they're learning pro ball on the fly together.  The best player on the offense (Jones) has barely played and Dillon is the worst style of running back to have for this group right now; he struggles to produce explosive plays without good line play and this offense just can't reliably string together enough plays to score without them.  The difference between 2nd and 10 and 2nd and 6 is more or less non-existent at the moment.

For now, temper them expectations and let's just see how they respond.  Adversity football is always going to be important, and this is a great early career opportunity for Love learn how to lead a team back on track.  Or to implode spectacularly, but either way should be an interesting watch.

So I do agree to some extent.  I wasn't all that bothered by the loss to Detroit as they are a good team this year.  I wouldn't be bothered too much by losses to SF, Philly, KC, LAC or even Dallas with this team.  We aren't ready to beat those teams.

But playing like we did against those awful Raiders is bad on another level.

Love can get better, but he's always going to be a ball forcer and do a ton of bad, just as Brett Favre did.  Couldn't coach those awful passes out of him, and won't be coaching those out of Love.  As much as Rodgers's sack taking and reluctance to pull the trigger sometimes drove me nuts, it at least allowed the offense to live to fight another down.  Love is killing drives and giving opponents too many freebies for scoring with his interceptions just like Favre did back in the day, and I would not be surprised if he broke Favre's 2005 interception throwing record.

Offensive line needs a massive overhaul right now and Meyers, Newman and Walker all need to go.  Bakhtiari cannot help us any more with this ridiculous injury bug he has putting him in Brian Bulaga territory, Runyan I'm not sure about but he seems to be injury prone as well.

At TE - I like Musgrave, he's got enough upside to keep rolling with and turn into an even better version of Tonyan and what we hoped he'd become.  But Kraft and Deguara are disasters and gotta be booted.  No talent in those two whatsoever.

2 hours ago, LLcheesehead12 said:

So I do agree to some extent.  I wasn't all that bothered by the loss to Detroit as they are a good team this year.  I wouldn't be bothered too much by losses to SF, Philly, KC, LAC or even Dallas with this team.  We aren't ready to beat those teams.

But playing like we did against those awful Raiders is bad on another level.

Love can get better, but he's always going to be a ball forcer and do a ton of bad, just as Brett Favre did.  Couldn't coach those awful passes out of him, and won't be coaching those out of Love.  As much as Rodgers's sack taking and reluctance to pull the trigger sometimes drove me nuts, it at least allowed the offense to live to fight another down.  Love is killing drives and giving opponents too many freebies for scoring with his interceptions just like Favre did back in the day, and I would not be surprised if he broke Favre's 2005 interception throwing record.

Offensive line needs a massive overhaul right now and Meyers, Newman and Walker all need to go.  Bakhtiari cannot help us any more with this ridiculous injury bug he has putting him in Brian Bulaga territory, Runyan I'm not sure about but he seems to be injury prone as well.

At TE - I like Musgrave, he's got enough upside to keep rolling with and turn into an even better version of Tonyan and what we hoped he'd become.  But Kraft and Deguara are disasters and gotta be booted.  No talent in those two whatsoever.

It might be a tad premature to declare Kraft a disaster.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

Most people on this board, before this season started, were in agreement that there would be times this season that the inexperience of so many young players would lead to (as Paul Newman once said) a failure to communicate.

While this is a relatively easy thing to accept before any games have been played, it is much tougher to maintain that understanding 'in the moment'. Things are made worse by the media, who over-praise a win and over-criticise a loss, because drama is what pays their bills.

that is not to say there are not real concerns about Barry and to some degree LaFleur too, never mind the players. As fans of the Packers we need the attitude of a cornerback. Even the best ones will get beaten sometimes, so a corner needs to keep faith, even after a screwup, and move on to the next play, next game. There is a good chance things get better through the season as the team gains experience together and the coaches (hopefully) adjust their scheme to fit what the players can do. This is a year when coaches especially need to earn their job.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 4

His numbers aren’t even comparable to first year starting rookie QB numbers.

Acting like that’s not valid because of his team is shamefully stupid. Teams that get too first round quarterbacks get them because their teams suck.

So giving Love a handicap of his offense being young is dumb. You’re not picking first overall if your team has a great offensive line and receiving corps.

Love is not always going to be this bad, but you need to look at how he’s playing and extrapolate that into how he’ll play when his offense isn’t so young and inexperienced. If he’s throwing under 58% and under 7 YPA with a young, inexperienced OL/WR/TE, you can probably extrapolate that into something like 61%, 7.1 YPA when he gets some help this off-season.

But then you have to factor in his QB cap hit. Due to Rodgers and Bakhtiari and a couple other things we crammed into this year, this roster is indicative of the roster we will have when Love is paid. Swap Preston Smith and Bakhtiari for equivalent talent from free agency or extensions of someone currently on the roster…

This is what we’re getting out of Rodgers.

And this isn’t new MacReady, this is me over the past ten years. For the past ten years I have often pointed to completion percentage and YPA as early indicators of future talent/production at the QB position.

The YPA is fine. The completion percentage is not.

Edited by MacReady
  • Like 1