Jordan Love Appreciation Thread

vegas492

You draft the next guy after your HoF dude decides to call it quits. Not before. Period.

It's simple really.

"... But what if that means we're bad when that happens???"

We are going to be bad when he retires, why do you think our rivals are looking Forward to that day?

"Oh, well, we have Gute!!! It s (d)ifferent!!"

We're worse, without the payout, and you're the reason why... 

7 hours ago, squire12 said:

Practice/ preseason vs real games.

Might be that defenses have been able to disguise coverages pre/ post snap and Love isn't trusting what he is seeing.  

Preseason games the defense is very vanilla, so what works then is pretty meaningless

What we are talking about here is short/conservative vs. open/deep and knowing your players style after an extended period of time. It's worrying that MLF needs live games and repeated live games to figure this stuff out. He should be able to get a gauge on a players nature and style and what he struggles with and what he doesn't in practice over a period of time. If he has spent three years plus trying to mould Love into a short/conservative passer MLF should have a sense of knowing how good that would/should look. Sure games are different and the results are but he should know his player and figure out pretty quickly that he is trying to put a square peg into a round hole.

4 hours ago, Laces Out said:

You draft the next guy after your HoF dude decides to call it quits. Not before. Period.

It's simple really.

"... But what if that means we're bad when that happens???"

We are going to be bad when he retires, why do you think our rivals are looking Forward to that day?

"Oh, well, we have Gute!!! It s (d)ifferent!!"

We're worse, without the payout, and you're the reason why... 

It's a good thing we don't follow your advice as an organization. We would not have had Rodgers if we draft a QB after Favre called it a day

Edited by Eternal
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Eternal said:

It's a good thing we don't follow your advice as an organization. We would not have had Rodgers if we draft a QB after Favre called it a day

Nah. Next. Brett was out the door and a potential #1 pick dropped to the 20s.

The other stated he wanted to retire a packer and play to about 40.

... Anyone check out the Titans game? 👀 crazy what some of these pure rookies are doing. Imagine that. 

5 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

What we are talking about here is short/conservative vs. open/deep and knowing your players style after an extended period of time. It's worrying that MLF needs live games and repeated live games to figure this stuff out. He should be able to get a gauge on a players nature and style and what he struggles with and what he doesn't in practice over a period of time. If he has spent three years plus trying to mould Love into a short/conservative passer MLF should have a sense of knowing how good that would/should look. Sure games are different and the results are but he should know his player and figure out pretty quickly that he is trying to put a square peg into a round hole.

I think he knows that.  You have a OL who can't block and a QB who can't hit the broad side of a barn past 10 yards.  You do exactly as MLF is doing.  Short stuff, and try to get a running game going.   You need to revamp the line and get a QB.

Yeah.  I have some observations from yesterday concerning Love...and my thoughts.

• TV broadcasts are tough to watch, you really can't see the field too well.  But, there were two plays that I saw where multiple receivers open and Love showed zero anticipation and zero field vision.  He held the ball and the plays were ruined.  These were not deep routes, they were layered "ins" with check downs.
  • He's very hesitant.  He doesn't see it and rip it.  He doesn't throw with any anticipation.
  • Garbage first half stats because the DC and defense are showing him real defenses.
  • Better looking second half stats because the defenses are soft playing against giving up the big play.  So yeah, more or less garbage stats.

For me personally?  I can give him another 2 games of this crap.  Sink or swim.  After that?  I want to see what Clifford can do with this coach and this gameplan.  It obviously cannot get much worse, concerning the first halves of games.  If Clifford is better, I'd keep playing him.  If not?  Let Love come back in with a couple games left to see if he learned anything.

It is still too early to call his career one way or the other.  But for right now, I'm not sure that there is another starting QB in the league who plays worse than he does.  Maybe Fields.  I'm not talking about backups who are starting because the main guy is injured.  Just the true #1 QB's.  That's how bad Love looks right now.  If he isn't the worst in the league, he's certainly in the bottom 5 in the league.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Yeah.  I have some observations from yesterday concerning Love...and my thoughts.

• TV broadcasts are tough to watch, you really can't see the field too well.  But, there were two plays that I saw where multiple receivers open and Love showed zero anticipation and zero field vision.  He held the ball and the plays were ruined.  These were not deep routes, they were layered "ins" with check downs.
  • He's very hesitant.  He doesn't see it and rip it.  He doesn't throw with any anticipation.
  • Garbage first half stats because the DC and defense are showing him real defenses.
  • Better looking second half stats because the defenses are soft playing against giving up the big play.  So yeah, more or less garbage stats.

For me personally?  I can give him another 2 games of this crap.  Sink or swim.  After that?  I want to see what Clifford can do with this coach and this gameplan.  It obviously cannot get much worse, concerning the first halves of games.  If Clifford is better, I'd keep playing him.  If not?  Let Love come back in with a couple games left to see if he learned anything.

It is still too early to call his career one way or the other.  But for right now, I'm not sure that there is another starting QB in the league who plays worse than he does.  Maybe Fields.  I'm not talking about backups who are starting because the main guy is injured.  Just the true #1 QB's.  That's how bad Love looks right now.  If he isn't the worst in the league, he's certainly in the bottom 5 in the league.

Oh boy.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

So he's better at vertical passing when the defense is specifically trying to stop it? Weird.

He's terrible at vertical passing.  In fact, right now, he's just terrible at everything.

The only thing he really has going for him right now is that he is very, very calm on the field.  His demeanor is excellent.  His football IQ and his arm simply is not good enough right now.

If you can't see that, well, then you are really stuck in your off-season evaluation of him.

As I stated, it is too early to give up on him.  I hold out hope that it could be the coach.  That's why I want to see a different QB for a few games and see if results are the same.  Then we will know if it is the QB or the coach.  We need to figure this stuff out.

It's been a lot of weeks with this same first half of games.

21 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

He's terrible at vertical passing.  In fact, right now, he's just terrible at everything.

The only thing he really has going for him right now is that he is very, very calm on the field.  His demeanor is excellent.  His football IQ and his arm simply is not good enough right now.

If you can't see that, well, then you are really stuck in your off-season evaluation of him.

As I stated, it is too early to give up on him.  I hold out hope that it could be the coach.  That's why I want to see a different QB for a few games and see if results are the same.  Then we will know if it is the QB or the coach.  We need to figure this stuff out.

It's been a lot of weeks with this same first half of games.

You should tell JT O'Sullivan and Kurt Warner you're better at evaluating QBs than they are