Vikings trade pass rusher Za'Darius Smith to Browns

RaidersAreOne

Turning nothing into something is always a positive. 

I’m still a bit surprised by Smith’s desire to leave. It really doesn’t make a ton of sense to me. Unless he’s just one of those players who doesn’t like being in the shadow of another player. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I’m still a bit surprised by Smith’s desire to leave. It really doesn’t make a ton of sense to me. Unless he’s just one of those players who doesn’t like being in the shadow of another player. 

Going to Cleveland doesn’t fix that. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

Going to Cleveland doesn’t fix that. 

No, it doesn’t. My comment wasn’t about where he’s going, but why he’d want out in the first place. 

As for him going to Cleveland, it’s probably easier to save face in a trade, than to come back and play for a team that you said goodbye to. 

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

He wanted out of this contract, this trade with new contractual terms makes him a free agent after the year, previously was under contract for 2 seasons

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

He wanted out of this contract, this trade with new contractual terms makes him a free agent after the year, previously was under contract for 2 seasons

They could have easily redone the contract to match this. 

And if Smith wanted to have a prove it year to try and land one more big pay day, it’s odd that he’d want to leave the team that just hired Brian Flores. Smith is a tailor made fit for what Flores likes to do. Going to Cleveland he’s going to have to fit in with what Jim Schwartz is doing, which is a for more traditional 4-3 defense. Not exactly Smith’s forte. 

• Like 3

I don't know the cap situation but obviously money aside this was a bad trade, we gave up a double digit sack guy whom I believe also had 15 TFL last year to not gain 2 picks but move up to the 5th from our other picks. This makes us less competitive imo

5 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

I'm not sure I do it for that. But, well, good luck on those picks. 

I just don’t think there was a ton more to get out of the deal. He was clearly not wanting to be here and this allows some cleared cap space. The only real leverage we had was he was under contract. But his leverage can come down to 0 effort and let it play out and not play.