Vikings trade pass rusher Za'Darius Smith to Browns

RaidersAreOne

11 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I haven't had a chance to look at the details.  Would the Vikings have saved more cap by cutting Smith than the amount of cap they get back by trading him to the Browns? 

Not likely, but it does depend on how much salary the Vikings retained. That number hasn’t been reported yet. 

A straight trade would take $12.1M off of the Vikings books, while a release would save them $7.1M 

Im guessing that the Vikings are probably retaining around $5M of salary, making the cap savings a wash, but getting a couple of improved draft picks out of the situation. 

• Like 2

The Cleveland Browns trade for edge rusher Za’Darius Smith won’t become official until Monday. There are still contract-related details that are uncertain at this point in time including whether the Minnesota Vikings will pickup any of Smith’s salary and whether GM Andrew Berry has agreed to an adjusted contract with his new defensive lineman.

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2023/5/14/23723007/nfl-trade-rumor-zadarius-smith-browns-vikings

I don't think people should necessarily complain about the retained salary, because you're forgetting that this gets them out of his cap impact in 2024, which according to overthecap would have been ~$21M.  I think people are continuing to lose sight over the fact that Kwesi is playing the long game.  This isn't about 2023.  This is about 2024 and beyond. 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 2

A couple of thoughts.

1. Z would have been nice here for this season. Vikings could have done what the Browns did with his contract, but they did not want to guarantee Smith the 11m+ the Browns did.  

2. They couldnt just trade him to the highest bidder, he had to go where Z would like to play because he would just be disgruntled there too. So in that aspect, that limited the vikings in the type of return they could get.

3. So when you combine #1 where they didnt want to guarantee the money due to whatever reason and with #2 where the options of where he could be traded are limited to the teams willing to work with him on a new deal; I think getting what they got back in the deal was pretty solid.

A 2024 5th is not nothing; we've seen those turn into productive players before. And a 6th +7th for a 5th is something you do all day, every day.

So in conclusion, shoulder shrug. I have confidence in Flores to generate pressure and I'd like to see what young players can do. All that said, they should probably give Hunter a raise and an extension.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, battle2heaven said:

All that said, they should probably give Hunter a raise and an extension.

And they couldn't do that with Za'darius on the team.  This frees up some ability to do that, as the Vikings are only now (depending upon the retained salary) carrying just over $3M in dead money for Za'darius. 

• Like 1

so vikings current 2024 picks

1st

2nd

4th (lions)

4th**

5th (chiefs)

5th (browns or panthers pick, not confirmed yet)

6th

traded picks

3rd - traded for Hock

4th** this goes to eagles if Reagor has 40 recs or 500 yards or 5tds. if he doesnt, then our 5th goes to eagles

7th - traded for mullens

I'm curious if that pick we got back from the browns is the panthers 5th. that would be a lot better!!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

And they couldn't do that with Za'darius on the team.  This frees up some ability to do that, as the Vikings are only now (depending upon the retained salary) carrying just over $3M in dead money for Za'darius. 

well yeah. but there were other avenues to free up money. whatever happens to Dalvin is going to free up money. And Oneill restructure frees up money.

8 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

well yeah. but there were other avenues to free up money. whatever happens to Dalvin is going to free up money. And Oneill restructure frees up money.

Restructuring causes issues down the road, so you don't want to do that if you don't have to. 

Certainly whatever happens to Dalvin will free up money, but his contract lasts longer than Za'darius' did, and he still has more value to the Vikings that Za'darius ever did, in tenure and in the locker-room, so you are going to treat him differently.  You're not going to punish him just to get more money for Danielle.  It's far more likely that Dalvin's cap savings will all end up going to JJ as part of his extension.

Edited by swede700

I don't mind the return. And I don't mind the move. We have the depth at edge after signing Davenport. And we got a few more chips for a trade in the draft next season, or just draft chips overall. I wish it would have been a 4th instead of two fifths, but it is what it is. Thanks Smith for one year, you'd probably have liked this defensive scheme better.

• Like 1