End of an Era. Last member of SB50 squad, Brandon McManus released

Sad to see him go. He missed a couple of kicks he shouldn’t have last year though, and his touchback % dropped significantly so there were warning signs starting to loom. That said, while his FG percentage was down to 78%, it’s worth noting that he had 13 attempts of over 50 yards. And he was still perfect (10/10) from 40-49 so I think he’s still capable of being a top 5-10 kicker. I’ll be curious to see who we replace him with. 

Can’t say I’m wild about this. The cap savings is nice and like you guys said he has dropped off from his elite/borderline elite level of the past but I still think he was better than most kickers in the league. He’s also the team’s player rep to the NFLPA so it’ll be interesting to see who is elected to replace him in that role. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Can’t say I’m wild about this. The cap savings is nice and like you guys said he has dropped off from his elite/borderline elite level of the past but I still think he was better than most kickers in the league. He’s also the team’s player rep to the NFLPA so it’ll be interesting to see who is elected to replace him in that role. 

He's been average the last two seasons and frankly, I'd say replaceable. At his salary, especially when our special teams overall has been dead last, change is necessary. He's simply making too much money.

I have a feeling we're clearing space for Dalvin Cook but I could certainly be wrong.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

He's been average the last two seasons and frankly, I'd say replaceable. At his salary, especially when our special teams overall has been dead last, change is necessary. He's simply making too much money.

I have a feeling we're clearing space for Dalvin Cook but I could certainly be wrong.

Dalvin Cook seems like an all-in, win-now move. With Javonte supposedly ready for camp I’m not sure that’s a good move. But the Walmarts haven’t been shy about wanting to win now, they look across I25 and see the Kroenkes raking in money hand over fist with 2 teams competing for their respective leagues’ championships and want to join the club. Aggressiveness is not always a bad thing. I just don’t want them to get too far over their skis. 

• Like 1

I get the cap savings, but I think his regression is being way overblown. I remember the holder dropping the ball twice last year on two of his misses and people are still attributing that to him. He might have been slightly over paid at 4.3m (I think that's what he was owed) but it wasn't crazy... He's still a top 10-12 kicker and was getting paid as #9 (from what I was able to find, could be incorrect though). 

Maybe the thinking is we're not real contenders this year so lets take a year to find a cheap young replacement while we find our footing (heh) on offense?...

• Like 1

On 5/23/2023 at 3:13 PM, BroncoBruin said:

It was probably time. That said, a truly bad kicker can lose you multiple games in a season so there’s a level of risk involved in this decision. 

Thats what Im thinking. Watching other teams struggle mightily trying to just find stability at Kicker makes me question this big time. I know he isnt top 5 in the NFL, but he is in that next tier, which 1/2 of the league would kill for........like the Chargers lol

• Like 2

Kinda crazy thing but without looking at actual stats, I'd say he has been our leading scorer for most of the years since superbowl O_o

When looking at it that way, despite his decline, we just cut the spine from our entire offense...even though that just shows how trash we have been. This season is truly going to be something new one way or the other 

32 minutes ago, Dbrog24 said:

Kinda crazy thing but without looking at actual stats, I'd say he has been our leading scorer for most of the years since superbowl O_o

When looking at it that way, despite his decline, we just cut the spine from our entire offense...even though that just shows how trash we have been. This season is truly going to be something new one way or the other 

If your going to have a sputtering offense, you better have a good kicker. Its weird how they made this decision now and not pre-draft so they could have at least drafted a highly rated K out of college to take his place. Are we really going to roll Mahr who just got cut because hes mentally fried?

• Like 1

Don’t love this move.  Reliable kickers are important and hard to come by.  

+, this team isn’t good enough to be parting ways w/ above-average players in the middle of their careers at reasonable salaries, especially this late in the offseason.

McManus at his peak years was a true weapon for us.  But the reality is that he's been actually below average the last 2 years - when you factor in the altitude, McManus' miss rate from 50+ isn't nearly as excusable - as a contrast (and ironic one), Matt Prater in ARI was 5/6 and 6/7 from 50-59 yards the last 2 years.       

The NFL average success rate the last 2 years is 85+ & 86+ percent.   To be below average with the altitude advantage is just not getting it done.   There's always risk you don't find someone better - but it's entirely justifiable to start looking now.       

Pure class act, though - and he'll always have that magical 2015 playoff run - 10/10 on FG's in high-pressure situations, can't have won the title without him.  But that's a long time ago.   Wish him well in JAX.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1