Raiders 2023 QB if Jimmy G is cut  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Raiders QB for 2023

• Sign Veteran FA
    • Bring QB out of Retirement
    • Trade for a Backup
    • Start Hoyer/O’Connell/Garbers

2 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I’m not trying to be argumentative… just posting some info on the salary aspect of the post:

Can you name 1 backup getting 15m?

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback

Top backups get 7-8M… maybe some years a Veteran whose expected to start then turn over the reigns gets 10m.

Thinking teams that plan to draft a QB, or just drafted a QB in the first, would sign him to take pressure off,
Mike Glennon on the bears got some crazy contract to essentially backup Trubiski
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/miami-dolphins/mike-glennon-12354/#:~:text=Mike Glennon signed a 3,average annual salary of %2415%2C000%2C000.

Thats the only crazy one I can remember off top of my head lol, they basically were paying him to coach. 

Everyone knows that its the rookies QB team, but they sign these guys as 'starters' who then get beat out in TC by the rookie, who was basically always going to win. 

4 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

The Serenity Prayer of Alcoholics/ Narcotics Anonymous being borrowed by Raiders fans?  It definitely is fitting.  

I always considered being a Raider fan was like an abusive relationship:  the fans get smacked around over and over but every so often the team wins (or shows they love you) and we ignore all the abuse.

Same.  It’s the very definition of a toxic relationship.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

ba49XST.jpg

I’d rather have signed Wentz for 7-8M max … probably could have gotten him for under 5m (Mayfield went for 4+4.5 available in incentives) instead of paying Jimmy G 24m+ with guaranteed year 2 money.  I get rolling with Jimmy G over Wentz or Mayfield if all things are the same but JG ain’t worth THAT much more.

7 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

Thinking teams that plan to draft a QB, or just drafted a QB in the first, would sign him to take pressure off,
Mike Glennon on the bears got some crazy contract to essentially backup Trubiski
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/miami-dolphins/mike-glennon-12354/#:~:text=Mike Glennon signed a 3,average annual salary of %2415%2C000%2C000.

Thats the only crazy one I can remember off top of my head lol, they basically were paying him to coach. 

Everyone knows that its the rookies QB team, but they sign these guys as 'starters' who then get beat out in TC by the rookie, who was basically always going to win. 

Sorry… I didn’t mean ever.  I meant this year.  But yeah even historically it almost never happens.

yeah… someone would have signed Jimmy G.  Of course they would, I wasn’t saying otherwise.  But I highly doubt anyone was going to give Jimmy G near the money we gave when Mayfield, Wentz, etc could be had for 25%.  
where else is jimmy g going to be a starter who isn’t a cheap bridge QB for a draft pick?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I’d rather have signed Wentz for 7-8M max … probably could have gotten him for under 5m (Mayfield went for 4+4.5 available in incentives) instead of paying Jimmy G 24m+ with guaranteed year 2 money.  I get rolling with Jimmy G over Wentz or Mayfield if all things are the same but JG ain’t worth THAT much more.

This. Again, I would have rolled with Stidham for 5M-6M per season.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jerry said:

This. Again, I would have rolled with Stidham for 5M-6M per season.

That wouldn’t have been a bad idea.  

I only brought it up because a certain Patriots West fan replied to a post of mine saying Garoppolo had several other teams that would have paid him 24m+…. Which obviously is crazy talk.  It’s crazy talk if you discount the injury… and even certified crazy when you factor in he might not be available for large sections to all of TC.  

Rolling with Stidham wouldn’t have been a bad idea.  I’d take a healthy Stidham and 18-19m over An injured Jimmy G.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

It’s just his initials. Farva? Super Troopers was funny but overrated movie

It was a bit overrated.  I honestly don’t remember it being that successful so I looked it up and it only grossed 20m.  It only took 1.2M to produce.  There was always suppose to be a 2nd movie but it never happened. 

I just think the guy needs his own nickname (plus I name a joke of it).  AOC while a political nickname is definitely widely know / taken.  

28 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

It was a bit overrated.  I honestly don’t remember it being that successful so I looked it up and it only grossed 20m.  It only took 1.2M to produce.  There was always suppose to be a 2nd movie but it never happened. 

I just think the guy needs his own nickname (plus I name a joke of it).  AOC while a political nickname is definitely widely know / taken.  

Aidan OC it is then

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

That wouldn’t have been a bad idea.  

I only brought it up because a certain Patriots West fan replied to a post of mine saying Garoppolo had several other teams that would have paid him 24m+…. Which obviously is crazy talk.  It’s crazy talk if you discount the injury… and even certified crazy when you factor in he might not be available for large sections to all of TC.  

Rolling with Stidham wouldn’t have been a bad idea.  I’d take a healthy Stidham and 18-19m over An injured Jimmy G.

Stidham wouldn't have got that much, but he was the obvious choice, would have like to see him get a whole offseason with the team. But here is a serious question which rookie QB has more weapons on offense then O'Connell.