Raiders 2023 QB if Jimmy G is cut  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Raiders QB for 2023

• Sign Veteran FA
    • Bring QB out of Retirement
    • Trade for a Backup
    • Start Hoyer/O’Connell/Garbers

9 hours ago, reddevil said:

I think they/we know that with Jimmy, we will max out as very mid like you say. But the plan seems to be for him to be the bridge QB while we build the roster out and then wait to pick their franchise guy. 

I don’t think anyone feels that we will have long term sustained success with Jimmy. The FO feel that he is the best option to play that role, keep us competitive to a point, bring through the youngsters and support them with the system and culture and I’d guess they’d like for him to then teach the rookie QB they draft next year.

And before anyone says that winning 6/7 games will take you out of the Williams sweepstakes, I get it but I don’t subscribe to the idea of tanking because it rarely, if ever works and I don’t believe that planning to lose is any way conductive to building a successful sports team.

I think it's hilarious that winning 6-7 games could be any FO's plan. They need to be realistic and understand that the path to long-term success is playing young players.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2023 at 4:19 PM, Humble_Beast said:

It would be smart to sign Teddy B or Carson Wentz for cheap. We would have a solid QB2 who could be ready to jump in the game 

If they were cheap enough, that wouldn’t be a bad call actually. Teddy B seems like a kinda fit for McDaniels.

9 hours ago, reddevil said:

I think they/we know that with Jimmy, we will max out as very mid like you say. But the plan seems to be for him to be the bridge QB while we build the roster out and then wait to pick their franchise guy. 

I don’t think anyone feels that we will have long term sustained success with Jimmy. The FO feel that he is the best option to play that role, keep us competitive to a point, bring through the youngsters and support them with the system and culture and I’d guess they’d like for him to then teach the rookie QB they draft next year.

And before anyone says that winning 6/7 games will take you out of the Williams sweepstakes, I get it but I don’t subscribe to the idea of tanking because it rarely, if ever works and I don’t believe that planning to lose is any way conductive to building a successful sports team.

Well, we know as a fact if you build a very, very good team that Garoppolo can take you to a Super Bowl. So if we build a good team we could be a playoff ready team to slide that new QB into.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2023 at 2:22 PM, NCOUGHMAN said:

Now sanjit is credible?

lol dude is slightly less annoying than that Wi-Fi Willy dude

Hey I like Wi-Fi Willie.  Hes not a source for news but I find him entertaining.

he’s like the Alex Jones of Raiders rumors…. He sounds crazy sometimes but He actually hits way more often then most others.

Edited by jimkelly02

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

Hey I like Wi-Fi Willie.  Hes not a source for news but I find him entertaining.

he’s like the Alex Jones of Raiders rumors…. He sounds crazy sometimes but He actually hits way more often then most others.

Lol he overdoes it imo his chick is weirdly slightly cute tho but she’s annoying too lol I liked him more when he first started

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Life would be so much easier if I could just accept the things I cannot change (the freaking Raiders).

Haha yeh 😁

What is doubly frustrating is when you know a move is a terrible decision and you have no power to do anything about it and just have to watch it unfold as you’d known it would!

Thats happened far too often in recent times…….

On 5/30/2023 at 11:25 AM, bucksavage1 said:

Another good point, is why would Jimmy Sign this contract if he wasn’t confident he would be healthy. He will be ready to go in TC

Well…. To be honest we were the only team who would pay him anywhere near 24m….. otherwise he’d have  7M to be a backup.

but I’m fairly confident he’ll be healthy by week 1.  Even if he’s not we’re just going to re-negotiate a new deal after voiding the first one.

• Like 1

Another good point, is why would Jimmy Sign this contract if he wasn’t confident he would be healthy. He will be ready to go in TC

Well…. To be honest we were the only team who would pay him anywhere near 24m….. otherwise he’d have  7M to be a backup.  He told 

but I’m fairly confident he’ll be healthy by week 1.  Even if he’s not we’re just going to re-negotiate a new deal after voiding the first one.

Well…. To be honest we were the only team who would pay him anywhere near 24m….. otherwise he’d have  7M to be a backup.  He told 

12 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

No truth in this. He's a starting QB in the league. There are several QB needy teams that would have tried to make him their starter. 

51 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

No truth in this. He's a starting QB in the league. There are several QB needy teams that would have tried to make him their starter. 

I think his injuries scare off a lot of teams. . . its why no one traded for him prior to last season when the niners basically said goodbye to him. 

When healthy, he is a capable NFL QB. 

QB contracts in the nfl are just so insane, I do think even if signed somewhere as backup hes getting 15m minimum. 20+ to be the starter now tho

• Like 1

On 6/5/2023 at 5:30 PM, Jerry said:

Life would be so much easier if I could just accept the things I cannot change (the freaking Raiders).

The Serenity Prayer of Alcoholics/ Narcotics Anonymous being borrowed by Raiders fans?  It definitely is fitting.  

I always considered being a Raider fan was like an abusive relationship:  the fans get smacked around over and over but every so often the team wins (or shows they love you) and we ignore all the abuse.

On 6/6/2023 at 10:07 AM, BackinBlack said:

I think his injuries scare off a lot of teams. . . its why no one traded for him prior to last season when the niners basically said goodbye to him. 

When healthy, he is a capable NFL QB. 

QB contracts in the nfl are just so insane, I do think even if signed somewhere as backup hes getting 15m minimum. 20+ to be the starter now tho

I’m not trying to be argumentative… just posting some info on the salary aspect of the post:

Can you name 1 backup getting 15m?

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback

Top backups get 7-8M… maybe some years a Veteran whose expected to start then turn over the reigns gets 10m.

Edited by jimkelly02