Raiders 2023 QB if Jimmy G is cut  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Raiders QB for 2023

• Sign Veteran FA
    • Bring QB out of Retirement
    • Trade for a Backup
    • Start Hoyer/O’Connell/Garbers

2 hours ago, Justwinning said:

Honestly can't buy into any optimism with Jimmy G. I'm so tired of reading "he's a winner" while knowing damn well he was on a team with a loaded defense and an optimal offensive environment (Shannahan and their weapons). 

Its so difficult to watch him play and actually come away excited. I'll stand by it. He's not good. A few games here or there is one thing, but this guy is not going to come in and elevate this franchise.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

Aaron Rodgers notoriously didn’t show up to OTAs for several years in GB. It’s less than ideal but isn’t the end of the world. He claimed it didn’t matter

Still Jimmy needs it this is a new team, my issue is with Bitty claiming Jimmy needed to be throwing to his new WR's before OTA's

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Imo off-season is crazy important it’s arguably the most practice time you’ll ever get cause during a season you can’t practice like this during the week.

I don’t know about the nfl level but high school and college during the season you barely practice during the week compared to off season. The summer grinding chemistry days is what makes the team. It’s how you establish yourself as a new player. it’s how you establish or maintain your leadership position.

Players are expected to be conditioned and available. You not available then you get replaced. You not conditioned then you been slacking. These are highly paid professional athletes competing vs the best in the world.

Trust me while one guy isn’t working their rival is gaining a edge/ advantage putting is work and it shows on gameday

He’s been in the facility for months now. I think you’re under the belief that’s he is another state away the team. He’s in meetings , film room and rehabbing with the team. That’s a BIG part of the offseason program . It’s less than ideal or a perfect world but it’s not a huge concern

Theres a reason why NFL considers these non mandatory OTAs

2 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

He’s been in the facility for months now. I think you’re under the belief that’s he is another state away the team. He’s in meetings , film room and rehabbing with the team. That’s a BIG part of the offseason program . It’s less than ideal or a perfect world but it’s not a huge concern

Theres a reason why NFL considers these non mandatory OTAs

Also a reason why certain guys seem to never miss otas unless $ issue 

big difference between being in film study then being out there on the field building chemistry and earning your respect 

Edited by NCOUGHMAN

3 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Its so difficult to watch him play and actually come away excited. I'll stand by it. He's not good. A few games here or there is one thing, but this guy is not going to come in and elevate this franchise.

Who is saying he will? He seems like a system fit, stop gap. Can win with him, but won't win you games. 

I honestly think expectations are so out of whack anymore. Everyone wants instant gratification. But the Raiders roster has been middling to bad for years. Their QB was average to below average through his career. 

Carr was not the answer. Jimmy is not the answer. But eventually, they need to find their way to a franchise QB capable of keeping up in the AFC. That is a process. This idea of just don't have a QB and crash for Caleb is not a real plan as bad as some want it to be. 

4 hours ago, raidr4life said:

I had already and like I said at OTA's not 3 months ago like you claim Jimmy should have been doing, If it did happen you would have posted here to make your point. Michael Thomas is still hurt so that's a fail, the young kid they have Rashid Shaheed has been working out at some training center in Costa Mesa, CA up until OTA's so that's a fail. Even quoted saying he can't wait to work with Carr. There is absolutely nothing with Olave and Carr working out together before OTA's. So who was Carr throwing to back in March and April in the offseason? 

Again, who gives a **** about Carr?

if the Raiders we’re trying to win this year, he would’ve been throwing a week after signing his contract

3 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Again, who gives a **** about Carr?

if the Raiders we’re trying to win this year, he would’ve been throwing a week after signing his contract

Says you. If the Saints we're trying to win this year Carr would've been throwing a week after signing his contract.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Who is saying he will? He seems like a system fit, stop gap. Can win with him, but won't win you games. 

I honestly think expectations are so out of whack anymore. Everyone wants instant gratification. But the Raiders roster has been middling to bad for years. Their QB was average to below average through his career. 

Carr was not the answer. Jimmy is not the answer. But eventually, they need to find their way to a franchise QB capable of keeping up in the AFC. That is a process. This idea of just don't have a QB and crash for Caleb is not a real plan as bad as some want it to be. 

Why have a stop gap at all then? Tanking for Caleb or maye could elevate this franchise. If we didn’t beat Arizona that one time we would have had nick bosa or Quinnen williams. 

O’connell should start imho. It’s the best thing for this team.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Why have a stop gap at all then? Tanking for Caleb or maye could elevate this franchise. If we didn’t beat Arizona that one time we would have had nick bosa or Quinnen williams. 

O’connell should start imho. It’s the best thing for this team.

It's not an automatic. Player have pride and something to play for. They are not going to outright lose for you.

Everyone acts like it's so easy to tank for the top pick. It's not. The 2019 Dolphins are a good example. 

And further, the team has enough talent that they are not going to get the top pick. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

It's not an automatic. Player have pride and something to play for. They are not going to outright lose for you.

Everyone acts like it's so easy to tank for the top pick. It's not. The 2019 Dolphins are a good example. 

And further, the team has enough talent that they are not going to get the top pick. 

Also it’s not always the 1st or 2nd QB taken in the draft that nets you a franchise player.

There is so much luck in finding that QB - look at where the top guys got drafted. How many were no. 1 picks? It’s so hard to tank well enough to guarantee you’re actually going to come away with the no. 1 guy - and how much do you set every other area of your team back in the process? You lose any semblance of a competitive or supportive ethos as you have to fully commit to the tank.

Just imagine how much you would have to deceive your players to get them to show up. It would be such a hard act to keep up. I just don’t think that’s the right way to build for long term success not least because there are so many variables that are out of your control anyway. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I agree with this, but fighting with a mid at best QB for 7-9 wins is not going to get this team anywhere. Granted I do like Ziegler's drafting so far and he has taken a measured approach, but without a QB this is all moot.

On 5/28/2023 at 10:25 PM, Jeremy408 said:

Why would they have a waiver clause if that was not a real possibility?

Then you have to take a new account that they signed 4 players last off-season to big contracts to which only two are still on the team and only one is a guaranteed starter. They've done stupid things before(despite any justification, that may come after this post)

I think it’s a possibility… just a small one. I think it’s more likely if he can’t pass a physical for week 1 the void the deal and immediately resign him to a lesser deal based upon when he will return.  By week 1 they’ll know how much longer he’s out.

I wouldn’t put anything past this team when it comes to stupidity and bad decisions or changing their minds.  

i just think he’ll be healthy by week 1,

On 6/1/2023 at 3:08 PM, raidr4life said:

Still Jimmy needs it this is a new team, my issue is with Bitty claiming Jimmy needed to be throwing to his new WR's before OTA's

There’s a big difference between knowing the plays in the film room and having timing down on the field.  You gotta be on the field to really get in sync.  But I don’t put much, if any value in tossing the ball at a local high school together before the season.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I agree with this, but fighting with a mid at best QB for 7-9 wins is not going to get this team anywhere. Granted I do like Ziegler's drafting so far and he has taken a measured approach, but without a QB this is all moot.

I think they/we know that with Jimmy, we will max out as very mid like you say. But the plan seems to be for him to be the bridge QB while we build the roster out and then wait to pick their franchise guy. 

I don’t think anyone feels that we will have long term sustained success with Jimmy. The FO feel that he is the best option to play that role, keep us competitive to a point, bring through the youngsters and support them with the system and culture and I’d guess they’d like for him to then teach the rookie QB they draft next year.

And before anyone says that winning 6/7 games will take you out of the Williams sweepstakes, I get it but I don’t subscribe to the idea of tanking because it rarely, if ever works and I don’t believe that planning to lose is any way conductive to building a successful sports team.