2018 Free Agency targets

AZBearsFan

So the rumors from INCREDIBLY REPUTABLE SOURCES (JK SportsMockery)

Odell Beckham Jr.  would cost roughly a 2nd and a 4th.... in addition to whatever kind of craziness accompanies his contract extension (the site threw out a $20M/Year figure, which sure as hell isn't happening considering he just got filmed rolling blunts)

BUT.... since we're in the slow time still:

2nd and 4th then contract cap hit.... If he's locked into a long term deal... I gotta say I'd be very willing to consider it, if the money was right...

Me personally, I was looking at getting a WR from this draft regardless to fill out the depth chart, but OBJ paired with Robinson, Gabriel, and potentially Meredith gives us one of (if not the outright best) WR setups in the league....  We'd basically be able to spend every pick for the next 3-4 years on defense or Offensive Line and could be primed for a really good run before Mitch has to be paid big $$...

So what would you guys be willing to give up for OBJ? (picks and salary per year)

20 minutes ago, Epyon said:

So the rumors from INCREDIBLY REPUTABLE SOURCES (JK SportsMockery)

Odell Beckham Jr.  would cost roughly a 2nd and a 4th.... in addition to whatever kind of craziness accompanies his contract extension (the site threw out a $20M/Year figure, which sure as hell isn't happening considering he just got filmed rolling blunts)

BUT.... since we're in the slow time still:

2nd and 4th then contract cap hit.... If he's locked into a long term deal... I gotta say I'd be very willing to consider it, if the money was right...

Me personally, I was looking at getting a WR from this draft regardless to fill out the depth chart, but OBJ paired with Robinson, Gabriel, and potentially Meredith gives us one of (if not the outright best) WR setups in the league....  We'd basically be able to spend every pick for the next 3-4 years on defense or Offensive Line and could be primed for a really good run before Mitch has to be paid big $$...

So what would you guys be willing to give up for OBJ? (picks and salary per year)

From a salary standpoint it’s not even remotely reasonable. We already have $28.5M per locked in with Burton, Robinson and Gabriel, plus OBJ getting likely the top WR contract ever ($18M per?). We’d be at more than 1/3 of our cap on 4 players before even considering Meredith. Love it on Madden, but can’t see it personally. 

13 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

From a salary standpoint it’s not even remotely reasonable. We already have $28.5M per locked in with Burton, Robinson and Gabriel, plus OBJ getting likely the top WR contract ever ($18M per?). We’d be at more than 1/3 of our cap on 4 players before even considering Meredith. Love it on Madden, but can’t see it personally. 

Then we throw in Gabriel to save $5.5 mil, then sweeten the deal with the potential star of Kevin White for another $5.2. :)

13 hours ago, Epyon said:

ESPN's reporting the Giants being interested in two firsts for him now, which would suggest that not only is at least a single first part of the equation that lands OBJ, but that he is actually on the trading block. (Big news at the owners' meetings, ESPN, etc.) And Oddell isn't completely lacking in self awareness. I wouldn't be surprised if the blunt rolling/coke snorting video came out because he wants to be traded. 

13 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

The Bears can't really do it, you're right. It messes with their cap too much because of their guarantees, and I don't see a bunch of trades as anything approaching a good idea. Really, when you think about it, it's going to be difficult for almost anybody to trade for OBJ. They'd ideally have to have little money wrapped up in QB, and extra cap space besides, so as to front load the deal. Cleveland could make it work, for sure, and maybe without even giving up a first this year. 

44 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

The Bears can't really do it, you're right. It messes with their cap too much because of their guarantees, and I don't see a bunch of trades as anything approaching a good idea. Really, when you think about it, it's going to be difficult for almost anybody to trade for OBJ. They'd ideally have to have little money wrapped up in QB, and extra cap space besides, so as to front load the deal. Cleveland could make it work, for sure, and maybe without even giving up a first this year. 

The teams that could trade for him would likely need to have a rookie QB or a guy in his 2nd year. That will offset the brutal contract I think OBJ gets. CLE, NYJ, and AZ all fit that bill. CLE is flush with cap and will draft a QB this year, the Jets already traded up, and it wasn't for a RB or OL. AZ has only about $20 mil but Fitz will be retiring most likely and OBJ could be his heir to the throne so to speak. They have $60ish mil available for 2019 (cutting Bradford will add $20 mil to that too), and will want a young QB this year or next.

The problem is if you're locked into a 1st and 4th without swaps, do you want to give early picks? No one is dropping their chance at a potential franchise QB for a WR. I could see DEN taking the gamble if they feel the rookie QB plus their existing defense drives them to the playoffs. But that is a serious gamble, especially after the legal questions arising. They only way DEN even looks at him is if they can do a 4th this year and 2019's first, but delaying the 1st rounder likely adds to the demand that NYG puts forth.

5 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

The teams that could trade for him would likely need to have a rookie QB or a guy in his 2nd year. That will offset the brutal contract I think OBJ gets. CLE, NYJ, and AZ all fit that bill. CLE is flush with cap and will draft a QB this year, the Jets already traded up, and it wasn't for a RB or OL. AZ has only about $20 mil but Fitz will be retiring most likely and OBJ could be his heir to the throne so to speak. They have $60ish mil available for 2019 (cutting Bradford will add $20 mil to that too), and will want a young QB this year or next.

The problem is if you're locked into a 1st and 4th without swaps, do you want to give early picks? No one is dropping their chance at a potential franchise QB for a WR. I could see DEN taking the gamble if they feel the rookie QB plus their existing defense drives them to the playoffs. But that is a serious gamble, especially after the legal questions arising. They only way DEN even looks at him is if they can do a 4th this year and 2019's first, but delaying the 1st rounder likely adds to the demand that NYG puts forth.

I think that the Giants will probably push for a first this year, so you're almost certainly right--an '18 4th and a '19 1st is the most unpalatable mix for them right now. Does Denver have the cap space, though? Arizona barely does, and really anybody getting OBJ wants that new contract moving ASAP. Which leaves the Browns and the Jets as the most likely possibilities. A cross town trade would be really weird (as would, again, the lack of first round pick, as you point out). 

Maybe the Browns can get it done, but by paying more than Schefter is claiming is necessary? Barring a trade with the Bills for #4, that is. (If they trade #4 to Buffalo, they're golden). Otherwise, maybe #33, Coleman and '19 1st rounder gets it done? Can you imagine if the Browns could come out of this draft with Darnold (likely), Barkley (likely), and OBJ? They'd still be a little unsettled at OT, but wow...

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

I think that the Giants will probably push for a first this year, so you're almost certainly right--an '18 4th and a '19 1st is the most unpalatable mix for them right now. Does Denver have the cap space, though? Arizona barely does, and really anybody getting OBJ wants that new contract moving ASAP. Which leaves the Browns and the Jets as the most likely possibilities. A cross town trade would be really weird (as would, again, the lack of first round pick, as you point out). 

Maybe the Browns can get it done, but by paying more than Schefter is claiming is necessary? Barring a trade with the Bills for #4, that is. (If they trade #4 to Buffalo, they're golden). Otherwise, maybe #33, Coleman and '19 1st rounder gets it done? Can you imagine if the Browns could come out of this draft with Darnold (likely), Barkley (likely), and OBJ? They'd still be a little unsettled at OT, but wow...

They are who I would figure to be the most excited about it.

Depth

QB - Taylor, Overrated QB Prospect (lol)

HB - Barkley, Johnson

WR - OBJ, Gordon, Landry (slot)

TE - Njoku

Gordon would almost obviously be gone in 2019 but damn.

50 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

They'd almost be guaranteed a playoff spot. Especially when you consider the AFC will probably be even further down next season...

22 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Depth

QB - Taylor, Overrated QB Prospect (lol)

HB - Barkley, Johnson

WR - OBJ, Gordon, Landry (slot)

TE - Njoku

Gordon would almost obviously be gone in 2019 but damn.

Be ironic if any Giants-Browns trade involved the Cleveland package to NYG including Landry going back given how much he’s pushing for Beckham, but reality is he’s an asset with value with no dead money to move. 

Archived