2018 Free Agency targets

AZBearsFan

The Landry contract will have no long te negative impact on the Bears cap. They have room for ages going forward.

They can afford to overpay for some consistency and proven production.

They dumped 45 million in guarantees this year and got almost 0 production from it. They really can not afford to do that again. They need to spend money and get a return from it, specifically at WR. They can’t roll out Markus Wheaton, Marcus Cooper, Dion Sims, Quenton Demps, level players at WR in 2018. They should be willing to pay more for consistency and guaranteed performance.

Davante Adams based on the last 4 years if targeted 100 times in a season.

688 Yards 

Signed without hitting the open market for 4/56 or 14/season. This was largely with a HOF QB.

Landry is really very similar if you look at what you get per target to 2 guys who just signed for 13-14 million,

Based on the last 4 years of catch % and yards per catch this would be the yards produced by each player per 100 targets

Alshon Jeffery: 790

Davante Adams 688

Jarvis Landry: 713

Jeffery (13/season) Adams (14/season)

I not sure Landry at 14/season is “overpaid”

10 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Based on the last 4 years of catch % and yards per catch this would be the yards produced by each player per 100 targets

Alshon Jeffery: 790

Davante Adams 688

Jarvis Landry: 713

Jeffery (13/season) Adams (14/season)

I not sure Landry at 14/season is “overpaid”

So let's just sign this Jeffery guy!

10 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I get it, Landry is a Volvo that you are paying Mercedes prices for. But there are no Mercedes available and a Volvo is still better than a Chevy Cobalt, even if you over pay.

Please no Volvo comparisons, I've had two.  First time in my life I've been triggered by the internet; you just made me visualize replacing a $3k module to get the heater working. The dash had to come out.

What I think you do

1. You pursue Landry, if it gets stupid then you back out. He is the most consistent and productive option that the Bears can get their hands on.

2. You pursue Albert Wilson, if you miss on Landry you out bid the Chiefs for Wilson. There is upside there and it would off set the unknown to a degree.

3. Trade a late 2019 pick for Emmanuel Sanders, the Broncos need cap space and he is fast and consistent and a veteran you can lean on.

4. Dance with the Richardson, Moncreif etc group. 

In the interest of being thorough, I would also call up the Browns about Gordon. Giving them one pick this year (and offer one of a number of players) and a conditional 2019 pick that goes up to a 2nd if he plays and re-signs a long term deal would be all I would have as a limit. I doubt CLE accepts but still need to try and test the waters. Kelvin Benjamin was traded for a 3rd and 7th, and it all started with a call. If they shut it down, you've wasted 30 mins, not exactly going to burn the franchise down with that.

3 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

Please no Volvo comparisons, I've had two.  First time in my life I've been triggered by the internet; you just made me visualize replacing a $3k module to get the heater working. The dash had to come out.

Could have just put in an Amish heater for way less and looked classy AF.

5 hours ago, Rogerthat said:

Since the broncos are getting a new QB you think they would trade Trevor Siemen for a 6th?   

I imagine they'd want to keep him. He isn't making squat (approx $2 mil) next year and you're not getting a comparable talent for cheaper or a 6th. Might as well draft and redshirt someone if they want a back up that bad. That or it will take more than a 6th to get him.

Bill Barnwell

Chicago Bears

1. Cut Mike Glennon and a few others. Well, that didn't work. The Bears will save $13.5 million by releasing Glennon, and they could free up an additional $13.5 million by moving on from cornerback Marcus Cooper, linebacker Jerrell Freeman and wideout Markus Wheaton, which would get them to about $66 million in cap space.

2. Re-sign Kyle Fuller. After struggling so much, the Bears declined his fifth-year option heading into 2017 and signed a pair of veteran cornerbacks in Cooper and Prince Amukamara to replace him, Fuller suddenly broke out and lived up to his status as a former first-round pick last season. Fuller and Amukamara were a competent cornerback duo, but both are unrestricted free agents; nickel corner Bryce Callahan is a restricted free agent.

The Bears could choose to bring back Amukamara, 28, who seemed destined to bounce around the league as a useful cornerback on a series of one-year deals, but it makes more sense that they would commit to Fuller. I've seen speculation that Fuller might end up joining his brother in Kansas City, but the Chiefs don't really have the cap room to really make a significant offer to Fuller. The Bears can afford to sign Fuller, so while they weren't expecting this breakout 12 months ago, they might as well take advantage of it and bring Fuller back.

3. Decline the fifth-year option on Kevin White, but re-sign Cameron Meredith. White is officially a total mystery at this point of his career -- the West Virginia product has played just five games through three pro seasons because of injuries. To put this in context, the last top-10 draft pick to play no more than five games over the first three professional seasons of his career was Packers quarterback Rich Campbell, who was taken with the eighth overall pick in the 1981 draft and threw four interceptions in his first and only start as a rookie. He didn't see the field for three more years and finished with nine career picks on 68 pass attempts.

The Bears will decline White's fifth-year option and hope to get something out of him in his final year under contract. They'll also bring back Meredith, a restricted free agent who missed the entire 2017 season with a torn ACL. With everyone else on their wideout depth chart a free agent (assuming they cut Wheaton), the Bears probably will have to make an addition at wide receiver ...

4. Sign Jarvis Landry. We often think of tight ends as safety valves for young quarterbacks, and indeed, the Bears are going to hope that Adam Shaheen develops into a useful weapon for Mitchell Trubisky. Another way is to give him a slot receiver capable of creating easy completions and making guys miss after the catch. Landry is more than a slot target given his ability to make plays in the red zone, so while his touchdown rate from 2017 (nine on 112 catches) is out of line with the rest of his career (13 on 288 catches), the Bears have both the need at receiver and the cap space to justify an outlay of more than $10 million per season on Landry.

Elsewhere, the Bears could look toward Allen Robinson (Jacksonville) or Sammy Watkins (Rams) if either slips past the franchise tag. The unexciting option would be for new head coach Matt Nagy to look back to Kansas City and sign Albert Wilson, who had a big Week 17 with Patrick Mahomes but hasn't exactly struck fear into the hearts of Chiefs opponents as a starting wideout.

5. Add Muhammad Wilkerson. Although not technically a free agent, Wilkerson is expected to hit the market this offseason when the Jets cut their former first-round pick to shed his $20 million cap hit, which would be the largest for any defensive end in football. Wilkerson has been wildly disappointing over the past two seasons since signing the deal, and nobody's going to pay him that much.

On a lesser deal, though? There are plenty of teams that could use a defensive lineman with Wilkerson's track record of getting after the quarterback from the interior, and the Bears' front seven would look terrifying with a rejuvenated Wilkerson in the fold. They already have a pair of standouts up front in Akiem Hicks and Eddie Goldman, with Wilkerson slotting in ahead of 2016 third-rounder Jonathan Bullard and taking Mitch Unrein's spot in the rotation. If the Bears can get Wilkerson on a one-year, prove-it deal, he could represent a massive upgrade without much risk.

Instead of throwing $$$ at Jarvis Landry, how about Albert Wilson and Tre Burton?

Shaheen should be our Y TE and Burton can be our F ('move' TE) and we can tell Sims to take a hike. That makes our targets:

Meredith

Wilson

Shaheen

Burton

Cohen

White

Rookie

1 hour ago, G08 said:

Instead of throwing $$$ at Jarvis Landry, how about Albert Wilson and Tre Burton?

Shaheen should be our Y TE and Burton can be our F ('move' TE) and we can tell Sims to take a hike. That makes our targets:

Meredith

Wilson

Shaheen

Burton

Cohen

White

Rookie

How would you want our base formation to look? Meredith is normally the slot, but move him to the outside so Burton can be in the slot? Or want to keep Meredith at the Y and put Burton at the X to let him use his size to break press coverage?

Meredith                                                  X  X  O  X  X Shaheen

Burton                                Trubisky                                                             Wilson/Cohen

Howard

I'd look at that group and still want to pick a WR in the 2nd. See potential there but little to no proven products IMO.

Archived