2018 Free Agency targets

AZBearsFan

5 minutes ago, G08 said:

Bears bringing recently cut CB David Amerson (Raiders) in for a visit.

Kid's only 26... any good?

2 years ago he was really good and got paid.

He was horrendous last season.

Cheap change of scenery may be good for him.

19 minutes ago, G08 said:

33 starts in 3 years he has to be better than Marcus Cooper. 

Raider are probably going after Malcom Bulter and needed the money

2 hours ago, G08 said:

Its hard to say.  There was so much wrong in oakland this past year its hard to place blame.  But hes a talented young player and the kind of guy Donatell can get something out of if there is anything there.  Worth bringing in on the right deal imo, but im bot throwing big money at him bc of fuller and hopefully going after Butler

4 hours ago, G08 said:

Amerson is one of those guys who you can't ask to do too much...he has good size and length...decent straight line speed and good ball skills...needs to be playing zone tho...in man he gets turned around due to his lack of agility and feel for defending routes...

If he is cheap and we ask him to do the right kind of things he would be a solid get.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Amerson is one of those guys who you can't ask to do too much...he has good size and length...decent straight line speed and good ball skills...needs to be playing zone tho...in man he gets turned around due to his lack of agility and feel for defending routes...

If he is cheap and we ask him to do the right kind of things he would be a solid get.

I would take Amerson at 2-3 million to replace Cooper as the #3. 

That way we don’t have to have someone in the draft.

A guy I haven't heard mentioned who I think would excel in Fangios defense and is a young up and comer is LB Avery Williamson. Would be a clear upgrade from Kwiatkoski at 25 years old. He and Danny Trevathan started next to each other for two years at Kentucky too.

8 minutes ago, pigsooie5 said:

A guy I haven't heard mentioned who I think would excel in Fangios defense and is a young up and comer is LB Avery Williamson. Would be a clear upgrade from Kwiatkoski at 25 years old. He and Danny Trevathan started next to each other for two years at Kentucky too.

Williamson is a guy I like too but he still wouldn't add that coverage ILB we badly need.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

I think if they invest at the ILB position they will more than likely bring Christian Jones back.

They could, but I think he’s still best fit as a top backup, and he’s gotten A LOT of reps so far, under Fangio, so what he is now is probably all he’s ever gonna he. Personally I don’t think he’s any better than Kwiatkowski, who I admittedly like more than most. 

Zach Brown is out there and he’s a guy who does well in coverage and has a bunch of speed. I could see them prioritizing him to play next to DT if they choose to make a more significant investment there. 

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

They could, but I think he’s still best fit as a top backup, and he’s gotten A LOT of reps so far, under Fangio, so what he is now is probably all he’s ever gonna he. Personally I don’t think he’s any better than Kwiatkowski, who I admittedly like more than most. 

Zach Brown is out there and he’s a guy who does well in coverage and has a bunch of speed. I could see them prioritizing him to play next to DT if they choose to make a more significant investment there. 

Brown is going to be a big money signing.

I really think they are high on Kwiatowski and the beat guys do as well and I think they like Jones and the progress he has made.

If they draft a guy like Edmunds I could see him in coverage more than those 2, but I do not see it as a priority.

More twitter buzz about the Bears and Jarvis Landry.

I don’t know anything about MySportsUpdate other than they have a ton of followers.

Makes sense. The Bears don’t really want to spend 2-3 years developing a WR core while Mitch is cheap and developing,

50 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

More twitter buzz about the Bears and Jarvis Landry.

I don’t know anything about MySportsUpdate other than they have a ton of followers.

Makes sense. The Bears don’t really want to spend 2-3 years developing a WR core while Mitch is cheap and developing,

No more half measures this offseason. They need to spend the money they have. I'm going to give them even more grief this offseason if they start the 1 year deal parade again. 

They need to close on the big free agents 

2 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

No more half measures this offseason. They need to spend the money they have. I'm going to give them even more grief this offseason if they start the 1 year deal parade again. 

There will be some of the one year contracts though. Every team has them. I would like to see them largely correlate with a draft pick though so it’s clear that while we have a bridge player we also have the hopeful long term player too. 

I have reservations about Landry and quite frankly I have doubts that Pace can land him based on previous players that have turned us down.

But Landry means you don’t have to

1. Hope a couple of tier 2 free agents can step up into bigger roles than they have on previous teams

2. Hope a draft Pick is ready to contribute early as a rookie.

You would have someone capable of handling a lot of targets and who can consistently produce.

Archived