2018 Free Agency targets

AZBearsFan

@Sugashane great question; I'm assuming our base personnel will be 11 (nobody has any idea at this point), but the players we have will allow Nagy/Helfrich to exploit matchups based on the team we are facing that day/night. I like what you have, but at times I will have Wilson in the slot if we are going against a LB in coverage and Burton in there if the defense in nickel. I'd try to work Kevin White in as well to take the top off the defense, but if they are playing off check to a smoke route and let him get some open field to exploit with his size/speed.

Meredith                                                  X  X  O  X  X Shaheen

Burton                                Trubisky                                                             Wilson/Cohen

Howard

Other times I'd come out in 21 personnel but deploy them as such:

Cohen                                                  X  X  O  X  X Shaheen

Meredith                          Trubisky                                                             Wilson/White

Howard

etc etc... my idea with Wilson/Burton is speed and creating mismatches. We can still draft a WR in round 2 or 4 and let them marinate.

@G08

That works. I am messing around with a mock that has Burton getting overpaid by someone (Sims got $6 per and he is much better than he was projected to be IMO), so we fall back and attack Jimmy Graham doing much of the same. He isn't the threat he was in 2014 but still a mismatch nightmare who can be utilized in the slot, traditional role if Shaheen is hurt, and even out at the X.

I'm falling out on the speed guys in FA so was kind of tailoring the offense on mismatches and injury protection so we don't have a massive reliance on 1-2 guys with no worthwhile backups (again).

5 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

"Kyle Fuller is going to find a lucrative market ahead and will not be returning to Chicago."
 - @JasonLaCanfora

If we lose Fuller to sign a bunch of B list free agents again I am going to lose my mind.

Have no fear, my friend: LaCanfora doesn't know ****.

11 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

"Kyle Fuller is going to find a lucrative market ahead and will not be returning to Chicago."
 - @JasonLaCanfora

If we lose Fuller to sign a bunch of B list free agents again I am going to lose my mind.

I imagine that this has been leaked from the Fuller camp to further motivate the Bears to use the tag. 

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

- @JasonLaCanfora

Considering the tag period hasnt even begun yet this is seriously out in front of his skis

4 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Not bringing Fuller back would be a pure failure on Paces part.

We have struggled too much in free agency to assume we can land an upgrade.

Not really... I mean Trumaine Johnson would be a solid get. I'd prefer Fuller though.

21 minutes ago, G08 said:

Not really... I mean Trumaine Johnson would be a solid get. I'd prefer Fuller though.

What gives you any faith we land Trumaine Johnson?

He is the only CB in free agency that is a clear upgrade over Fuller. So more than likely you are getting less talented in free agency.

He is in your building, he is under your control, no one in free agency is under your control.

Archived