2018 Free Agency targets

AZBearsFan

7 minutes ago, chisoxguy7 said:

We could still trade for him. Maybe a fourth. Especially if Landry says he won’t play there.

They’d have gotten a 2019 3rd as a comp pick if they had just let him leave. I’d be surprised if they accepted less than that in a trade. Also I doubt Pace would trade for a WR before seeing what he can land in the first wave of FA. 

Just now, Sugashane said:

With the talk we have had about Cohen moving to WR/3rd down back, what about a flier on Doug Martin? he fits more of a traditional RB role, likely won't get much of a deal, and if he pans out can give us a wicked RB trio.

I’d be for that. Martin is a good receiver too and obviously can capably start in the event of a Howard injury. Ideal skill set for a backup. 

Marquise Lee is an upgrade, he is hardly someone I would lean on to help Trubisky to take the next step.

I am not sure he is significantly better than Wright.

We need to invest the draft capital at WR to offset the risk of a 2nd teir WR signings and provide options.

5 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Marquise Lee is an upgrade, he is hardly someone I would lean on to help Trubisky to take the next step.

We need to invest the draft capital at WR to offset the risk of a 2nd teir WR signings and provide options.

He's not, but he's younger and expresses the traits you want in a WCO WR. His hands are questionable, which I hate, but he'll be a buy low guy that you can bring into the fold at the young age of 26.

Again, if he sucks, you still (in my football world) will have Meredith, Wilson, White, and a rookie. 

8 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Marquise Lee went to USC and it’s a proven fact that USC receivers are the best in the NFL. Juju, Robert Woods, the other Steve Smith. They’ve got the fantasy football numbers to back it up.

There will still be FA targets out there.

If we let Sanchez go, I could see us bringing in Matt Moore or Josh McCown as a QB3 mentor.

At RB, I think we add a guy like Jeremy Hill or Orleans Darkwa, possibly TJ Yeldon if he is let go.

WR- the guys I would be looking at are Albert Wilson, Brice Butler, Paul Richardson, Jordan Matthews. Matthews can be your slot guy and any of the other 3 guys can play outside. Wilson and Butler would be my preferred two of that group. Matthews should come cheap on a 2 year deal and is still just 25.

TE - Ben Watson, Anthony Fasano, or Luke Willson would be guys I would feel comfortable putting out there as a TE2 and trust to do their jobs.

OL- I would make a run at Cameron Fleming if the price was right. If he can beat out Massie, Massie becomes our swing. If not, he is our swing and a guy who you look to take a starting role next year. Either way you don't have to throw a high pick at the position. Josh Kline could be a cheap addition if Whitehair stays at C. If Whitehair goes to G, John Sullivan would be a good get, not necessarily as a long term guy, but as someone who you know isn't going to derail the development of your young franchise QB.

On defense

DL/Edge

I'd kick the tires on Attaochu and Ealy and if the price was right, bring them in.

Denico Autry is a high effort guy who could fill a big role on a DL that was severely overworked last year.

Assuming Wilkerson hits the market, you have to at least make contact with his agent and see what he's looking for. I think there's more to the story in New York

Brent Urban would be a very Pace type signing.

LB-

If we don't like the value at 8 in the draft, I would go after Tahir Whitehead or Avery Williamson. Alongside Floyd and Trevathan, I think we would have a scary front 7.

Kevin Pierre-Louis is a guy Nagy has seen up close and is probably ready to grow into a larger role.

CB-

If for some reason we move on from Fuller, I would call up Malcom Butler and offer him the money he's after. I don't want to head into the draft with Prince as our #1 (assuming he himself is resigned).

If we don't want to spend that type of money at the position, I'd look at Rashaan Melvin or Aaron Colvin.

3 minutes ago, chisoxguy7 said:

There will still be FA targets out there.

If we let Sanchez go, I could see us bringing in Matt Moore or Josh McCown as a QB3 mentor.

At RB, I think we add a guy like Jeremy Hill or Orleans Darkwa, possibly TJ Yeldon if he is let go.

WR- the guys I would be looking at are Albert Wilson, Brice Butler, Paul Richardson, Jordan Matthews. Matthews can be your slot guy and any of the other 3 guys can play outside. Wilson and Butler would be my preferred two of that group. Matthews should come cheap on a 2 year deal and is still just 25.

TE - Ben Watson, Anthony Fasano, or Luke Willson would be guys I would feel comfortable putting out there as a TE2 and trust to do their jobs.

OL- I would make a run at Cameron Fleming if the price was right. If he can beat out Massie, Massie becomes our swing. If not, he is our swing and a guy who you look to take a starting role next year. Either way you don't have to throw a high pick at the position. Josh Kline could be a cheap addition if Whitehair stays at C. If Whitehair goes to G, John Sullivan would be a good get, not necessarily as a long term guy, but as someone who you know isn't going to derail the development of your young franchise QB.

On defense

DL/Edge

I'd kick the tires on Attaochu and Ealy and if the price was right, bring them in.

Denico Autry is a high effort guy who could fill a big role on a DL that was severely overworked last year.

Assuming Wilkerson hits the market, you have to at least make contact with his agent and see what he's looking for. I think there's more to the story in New York

Brent Urban would be a very Pace type signing.

LB-

If we don't like the value at 8 in the draft, I would go after Tahir Whitehead or Avery Williamson. Alongside Floyd and Trevathan, I think we would have a scary front 7.

Kevin Pierre-Louis is a guy Nagy has seen up close and is probably ready to grow into a larger role.

CB-

If for some reason we move on from Fuller, I would call up Malcom Butler and offer him the money he's after. I don't want to head into the draft with Prince as our #1 (assuming he himself is resigned).

If we don't want to spend that type of money at the position, I'd look at Rashaan Melvin or Aaron Colvin.

McCown is probably gonna be a bridge starter somewhere making north of $10M a season. He was really good this past year - 67% comp., 2:1 TD/INT ratio and on pace for about 3700 yards before missing the last 3 games with injury. I think he’s a definite target for a team drafting a QB for the future this year. Buffalo would make a ton of sense to me TBH. 

Darkwa is a guy I like a little bit and the price will surely be right. He’s capable and while not a great receiver can catch. Not interested in Hill - he’s regressed every year and doesn’t seem to be a scheme fit. Cameron Fleming is a guy I like quite a bit if we look to FA to replace Massie - he graded out well this year overall (PFF) and held up really well against an elite Eagles pass rush in the SB in a game Brady threw 48 times. 

You are not getting Lee as a "buy low" guy in this WR market.

I do not really have an issue with Lee, outside of the drops and the sub 60% catch rate from the slot primarily. I think he would be an upgrade for the Bears, but there is the element of inconsistency that makes me a little uneasy with a young QB.

It would be different if we had a vet like Alex Smith who could slowly work with these guys to develop them, but we are going to be developing guys all over the field.

Lee to me is a more intriguing option than most of the injured guys or guys with 1 year of production.

Buy low meaning he's not getting top 10 WR money. I don't think we're going to figure out the WR position in one off-season unless Allen Robinson becomes available or Sammy Watkins isn't re-signed (still reminds me of a better Kevin White).

Meredith, Lee, Wilson, White and perhaps a rookie to groom.

At minimum I'm expecting Meredith, Wilson, White and a rookie.

I think the "at minimum" plan leaves Trubisky super exposed in what is a big season for him.

The option above would at least provide some level of options for when White goes on IR.

We may not solve the WR position in one offseason, but we need to ensure that this is not a wasted year for Trubisky again throwing to bums.

24 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think the "at minimum" plan leaves Trubisky super exposed in what is a big season for him.

The option above would at least provide some level of options for when White goes on IR.

We may not solve the WR position in one offseason, but we need to ensure that this is not a wasted year for Trubisky again throwing to bums.

To me,  not adding some combination of three wide receivers this off-season is not giving enough attention to the position. 

2 hours ago, chisoxguy7 said:

To me,  not adding some combination of three wide receivers this off-season is not giving enough attention to the position. 

We will add 3 for sure.

I just don’t have faith in the Pro personnel department to land us some 2nd teir players that can contribute.

The exception being Albert Wilson because Nagy knows him so well and we know what he can do in the system.

But there 2 tier (multi year, but moderate cash) 2 WR moves have been Royal and Wheaton. 

Archived