2018 Free Agency targets

AZBearsFan

Kinda stumbled on this one but last seasons #1 ranked LS and Pro bowler Jake McQuiade is a UFA and not likely to be resigned by LAR. 

I know it’s nothing sexy but any chance you have at getting the best ranked player at a position you take it. Especially since we haven’t had anybody consistent st the position since Mannelly.

Jags-Bortles and no cap room

Rams-just drafted Everett in the 2nd round

Colts-no certainty at QB and behind the established and paid Doyle.

I think Oakland and GB could be serious competitions.

But Chicago offers a QB, a coach, and tons of targets/opportunity. There is almost no established offensive talent.

2 minutes ago, pigsooie5 said:

Kinda stumbled on this one but last seasons #1 ranked LS and Pro bowler Jake McQuiade is a UFA and not likely to be resigned by LAR. 

I know it’s nothing sexy but any chance you have at getting the best ranked player at a position you take it. Especially since we haven’t had anybody consistent st the position since Mannelly.

I was actually really impressed with DePaola last year. I didn’t hear his name said once (ideal for a LS) and don’t remember any bad snaps. 

20 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I really worry about overpaying for Burton...for me I would love to know what Tyler Eifert's health is like...a change of scenery and we could have a top flight TE on our hands who properly fits the Kelce mould if he stays healthy. 

The health risk is too much for me.

If he hits IR in week 3 then we have Trubisky operating an under manned offense again.

I know everyone can get injured, but Eifert is constantly injured.

Health has to be a factor in these signings, even more so for the Bears.

I think Burton is going to make around 7 million. Even if you think that is a 20% over pay that is only 1.4 million/season. Hardly an amount to worry about.

With the Bears cap situation and there desperate need for offensive talent I wouldn’t even consider that an over pay. Decent chance he gives you more than 7 million worth of value based on the power TEs making 7 million.

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Jags-Bortles and no cap room

Rams-just drafted Everett in the 2nd round

Colts-no certainty at QB and behind the established and paid Doyle.

I think Oakland and GB could be serious competitions.

But Chicago offers a QB, a coach, and tons of targets/opportunity. There is almost no established offensive talent.

But the Bears just drafting their current and apparent future TE in the 2nd isn’t something seen as preclusive? That doesn’t make sense Windy. You may not have much faith or optimism in what Shaheen will be in 2018 and beyond but don’t think for a minute that a FA won’t weigh significantly that a team just spent a top 50 pick on their position within the past 12 months and that they’ll very much want to give that pick every chance to succeed. 

Oakland and certainly Green Bay offer a better QB situation at least short term and a significantly better chance to win now. He’d be the for sure #1 TE in Green Bay and Oakland but not here, and both can pay him comparably. You don’t think Burton would rather see 60 targets in GB but have a legit shot at the Super Bowl every year Rodgers is healthy over 75 targets here and far more questions? 

The Jets may appeal to him if he prefers NY to Chicago as a place to live. They can offer him a more expensive role if ASJ leaves in FA and will have either an established vet FA QB or a top pick there, and have plenty of cash to pay him. NE can pay him if they want and offer him the Aaron Hernandez role and an obvious title shot. Cincinnati can pay him and offer him a primary receiving TE role. AZ can pay him and offer him a primary receiving TE role where outside of Johnson and Fitz (who’s only there thru this year) there will really be nobody else, and they’re likely to have an established vet QB that could possibly even be Nick Foles. 

He’s not going to struggle for suitors at all, and I just struggle to see how we will ever make it to #1 on that list unless our contract is significantly more lucrative. As long as the money’s close I just don’t see it. Shaheen’s presence has to factor in - if he balls out then the primary gig is going to be his and Burton will then be getting paid better to fill the same role he has behind Ertz. I just have to think he wants more when he gets to pick his destination. 

Also, in terms of receivers, does anybody here really have any idea how the Andy Reid offense uses those guys? Seriously between Reid in Philadelphia and KC and Doug Pederson in PHI, outside of TO and Alshon Jeffery, it has always just looked like they have a bunch of slot receivers running around out there. So is "he's just a slot receiver" even a applicable reason to suggest the Bears won't pursue a WR?

31 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

But the Bears just drafting their current and apparent future TE in the 2nd isn’t something seen as preclusive? That doesn’t make sense Windy. You may not have much faith or optimism in what Shaheen will be in 2018 and beyond but don’t think for a minute that a FA won’t weigh significantly that a team just spent a top 50 pick on their position within the past 12 months and that they’ll very much want to give that pick every chance to succeed. 

Oakland and certainly Green Bay offer a better QB situation at least short term and a significantly better chance to win now. He’d be the for sure #1 TE in Green Bay and Oakland but not here, and both can pay him comparably. You don’t think Burton would rather see 60 targets in GB but have a legit shot at the Super Bowl every year Rodgers is healthy over 75 targets here and far more questions? 

The Jets may appeal to him if he prefers NY to Chicago as a place to live. They can offer him a more expensive role if ASJ leaves in FA and will have either an established vet FA QB or a top pick there, and have plenty of cash to pay him. NE can pay him if they want and offer him the Aaron Hernandez role and an obvious title shot. Cincinnati can pay him and offer him a primary receiving TE role. AZ can pay him and offer him a primary receiving TE role where outside of Johnson and Fitz (who’s only there thru this year) there will really be nobody else, and they’re likely to have an established vet QB that could possibly even be Nick Foles. 

He’s not going to struggle for suitors at all, and I just struggle to see how we will ever make it to #1 on that list unless our contract is significantly more lucrative. As long as the money’s close I just don’t see it. Shaheen’s presence has to factor in - if he balls out then the primary gig is going to be his and Burton will then be getting paid better to fill the same role he has behind Ertz. I just have to think he wants more when he gets to pick his destination. 

Everett and Burton literally play the same position.

Burton and Shaheen do not play the same position and could play on the field at the same time.

I agree he is going to have suitors, the Bears are going to have to beat other teams out, but I do not think that the Bears offer has the holes in it that some other places do. GB and Oakland are 2 teams that would worry me the most. AZ just paid Gresham and I do not think they are going to tie up 15 million n cap space there.

17 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

Is Trey Burton really going to sign with the Bears to potentially be the TE2 if there are teams that are willing to make him their TE1?

1 and 2 doesn't matter.

How many targets he can reasonably expect is what matters.

The Bears offense is wide open right now in terms of targets and role. We could see an offense where Burton and Shaheen both get 80-85 targets, which is what most #1 TEs in the league get.

My position on Landry is that I will be happy if we get him. I think what he lacks as a WR is made up for by his durability, consistency, and production. I think with a young QB having someone he can lean on is key.

But adding the trade element into things complicates matters greatly.

-If the Bears trade a premium pick [1st or 2nd] and then have to hand out a huge contract I am not going to be thrilled. I do not think a 1st will ever be in the conversation. Obviously, Nagy would have gotten up on the table to make that happen, but in my world that is way too many resources tied up in one player.

-If the Bears trade a 3rd round, or that level of value, it will be not a great value in my book, but I would not be pissed off about it. I think that is about what he is worth even with the contract that you have to sign him.

-I think that if you can get his rights or a day 3 pick, or a small package of day 3 picks that it is a good deal for the Bears.

1. You do not have to compete with other teams, which guarantees his services and gives you a stronger bargaining position.
2. You can easily recoup those picks moving down from 39 like the Bears have had the last 2 years.

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

The health risk is too much for me.

If he hits IR in week 3 then we have Trubisky operating an under manned offense again.

I know everyone can get injured, but Eifert is constantly injured.

Health has to be a factor in these signings, even more so for the Bears.

Of course it has to be a factor but sometimes you have to take a risk on talent rather than overpaying for someone who doesn't come close in terms of talent who will get far more money.

Just now, Madmike90 said:

Of course it has to be a factor but sometimes you have to take a risk on talent rather than overpaying for someone who doesn't come close in terms of talent who will get far more money.

Yes I agree, I do not think that time is when you have a 2nd year QB, 1st time HC/playcaller, and a 2nd year TE that only got 14 targets last season.

Archived