2018 Free Agency targets

AZBearsFan

11 minutes ago, G08 said:

It would be well worth it, IMO. Kevin White is in his last year on a rookie contract, Cameron Meredith shouldn't cost much, and we can draft a WR in round 2 who will be cheap for the next 4 years.

Question is: do the Rams tag him and if they don't, does he want to come here?

I'd have Pace/Nagy/Trubisky make the pitch to him that he'd be the #1 in our offense -- think Tyreek Hill -- and get a ton more targets than the 70 he received last season (Hill had 105 targets last season alone). That will appeal to the WR1 diva that every WR has inside them.

We do offer a lot to a WR

Most importantly, you can be the most targeted WR in the offense. Your role can be as big as you make it.

My targets:

WR
Sammy Watkins - I think we will have to overpay for his services (think Alshon Jeffery or more) but we really have no other choice. This is what we have to deal with since we let Marshall/Jeffery walk for nothing and Kevin White has been a bust. I think 4 years/$52 million/$28 million guaranteed will get it done. He'll lock down our WR1 and be a perfect hedge to Kevin White, we can draft a WR in round 2 to be our WR2 if/when we let Kevin White walk in 2019. Meredith will be the perfect #3.

If Kevin White stays healthy and has a decent season we could bring him back on a modest deal and let White/Meredith/Rookie battle for spots 2, 3 and 4. It's a win-win in my book.

Allen Robinson - another true #1 WR, is his knee healthy? Will JAX tag him?

Albert Wilson - more of a low-end WR2 high-end WR3... familiarity with Nagy's offense, speed, production

Marqise Lee - heavy does of meh. More of a low-end WR2 with some potential upside, hands are questionable

John Brown/Taylor Gabirel/Paul Richardson - speed but each comes with size limitations

OLB
Trent Murphy - experience as a 3-4 OLB and 4-3 DE, had 9.0 sacks in 2016 before getting injured in 2017. Only 27 years old, offers size at OLB and a pass rushing presence at DE in base defenses.

Barkevious Mingo - yes, that Barkevious Mingo. Just turned 27 but I envision him being used how Fangio liked to deploy Leonard Floyd. Drop him in coverage at times, blitz him, spy the QB, etc. He can't simply be a pass rusher on every down, so his presence should allow Floyd to rush more than he has to worry about dropping back in coverage (although he can still do that from time to time).

Jerry Attaochu - probably more of a last option, has been a bust thus far but is still only 25 and has some burst/wiggle to his game. Reminds me of a younger Sam Acho with perhaps a touch more upside.

CB
Kyle Fuller - tag him with the hope that he will sign a longer deal to stay with us for the next 3-5 years.

Trumaine Johnson - solid backup option for us if Fuller doesn't seem interested, may not come very cheap however

Bashaud Breeland - I like him more as a CB2 than a CB1, but he's young (26) and I think Donatell could help him with some of his coverage inconsistencies. Plus the kid likes to stick his nose up in there in run support, which always endears a corner to me

Prince Amukamara - Turns 29 in June so I'd only want him back on a 1-2 year deal for depth purposes.

20 minutes ago, G08 said:

My targets:

WR
Sammy Watkins - I think we will have to overpay for his services (think Alshon Jeffery or more) but we really have no other choice. This is what we have to deal with since we let Marshall/Jeffery walk for nothing and Kevin White has been a bust. I think 4 years/$52 million/$28 million guaranteed will get it done. He'll lock down our WR1 and be a perfect hedge to Kevin White, we can draft a WR in round 2 to be our WR2 if/when we let Kevin White walk in 2019. Meredith will be the perfect #3.

Not overpaying in our case. White cannot be trusted to stay healthy and Meredith is coming off of a major injury and our franchise QB is still learning the position. Nobody pays $100 for a glass of water at a restaurant. Lots of folks would pay $100 for a glass of water in the middle of the Sahara. Other teams may be overpaying for him. Not the Bears.

I do not even care if we sign Watkins/Robinson and they never live up to the contract. Just go for it. Lets take a big swing.

I also will not be that upset if Nagy does not work out, because Pace went for it with a young offensive mind and not some lame bunt single in Fox.

24 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

24 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I do not even care if we sign Watkins/Robinson and they never live up to the contract. Just go for it. Lets take a big swing.

I also will not be that upset if Nagy does not work out, because Pace went for it with a young offensive mind and not some lame bunt single in Fox.

"lame bunt single" is pure poetry  for the Fox, and I agree completely.  

Next can you do a haiku about Mike Martz?

Archived