2018 Free Agency targets

AZBearsFan

Just now, WindyCity said:

White will not be counted on to do anything. If he does great. We would still need a starting X.

Listening to Pace and Nagy talk, I'm not so sure that's the avenue they are taking.

Could be wrong, and I'm of the opinion that relying on him as a top 3 WR this season would be foolish.

12 minutes ago, G08 said:

You guys... Muhammad Wilkerson was just released.

Hicks / Goldman / Wilkerson

Someone slap me.

Was coming in to say something.  Jets fans are saying hes lazy after getting paid. I have to think if he can be brought here that the front becomes pretty damn good together and makes Floyds life a whole lot easier.

1 minute ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Was coming in to say something.  Jets fans are saying hes lazy after getting paid. I have to think if he can be brought here that the front becomes pretty damn good together and makes Floyds life a whole lot easier.

My buddy was just telling me the same thing. Still, I'd have to think Hicks/Goldman could keep him in check if he wanted to bring a lazy attitude here.

I wouldn't break the bank of him -- at all -- but if he's willing to come in for a year to rehab his image or sign on for 2-3 years at a modest contract? I'd do it in a heartbeat.

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Both Pace and Nagy talked about being disciplined in free agency and connections being important to avoid "bad deals".

With 45 players under contract they are going to have to be super active in free agency, so I am not sure what to make of these statements.

I think it means a FA like last year personally - a handful of multi-year deals and then several deals from which we can be free after a year if they don’t work out. The plan wasn’t bad - just need a better batting average this year. 

4 hours ago, G08 said:

Pace made it a point, multiple times, to talk about how a WR needs to have football intelligence to thrive in this offense.

I think that means no Sammy Watkins.

What has you thinking Watkins isn’t football smart? I don’t recall ever seeing that anywhere. 

3 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

What has you thinking Watkins isn’t football smart? I don’t recall ever seeing that anywhere. 

I've been lurking on the Rams forum all season seeing what was up with Watkins. The prevailing logic is that he wasn't very good at adjusting his routes based on coverages, so he spent a lot of time taking the top off the defense/being a decoy and opening things up for other WRs.

11 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think it means a FA like last year personally - a handful of multi-year deals and then several deals from which we can be free after a year if they don’t work out. The plan wasn’t bad - just need a better batting average this year. 

Significantly better.

A miss like last season is like taking Nagy/Trubisky out at the knees before the race starts.

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Should help Hicks and Goldman as well. Both played too damn many snaps. Getting Goldman out in nickel more often would allow him to be a much bigger factor in the 4th. He just seemed too gassed to do much by then last year.

5 minutes ago, Rogerthat said:

How about trading a 6th rounder for Trevor Simieans 

I don't see why they would make the trade. He hasn't been great but is on a cheap deal and has a winning record, and is better than what a 6th will get them this year. I'd do it, but they should want more than that.

EDIT - thought he had 2 years remaining, this is his last year. I like the trade less now. He will likely want a fair raise and a shot to start on the open market, though no one would give him the gig openly. I'd pass.

51 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I don't see why they would make the trade. He hasn't been great but is on a cheap deal and has a winning record, and is better than what a 6th will get them this year. I'd do it, but they should want more than that.

All of those same things can be said about Mark Sanchez except for the cheap deal part tbh. You can still spend the 6th on a QB with the Sanchez route too so you hopefully won’t need to keep him the following year. 

When the Bears make the move with Glennon, they will be down to 45 players under contract, the lowest total in the NFL. They own seven draft picks, which leaves them with some heavy lifting in order to reach a 90-man roster

Is this right?? 45 players under contract plus 7 draft picks = 52 players.

That means we need to add, assuming no other cuts and all our draft picks are signed, 38 players via free-agency and UDFAs. That's.... that's insane.

Archived