2018 Free Agency targets

AZBearsFan

5 hours ago, G08 said:

Don't sleep on a Jordan Matthews/Albert Wilson free agency addition... 

I don’t know why they would add Jordan Matthews.

I don’t see the connection and he mostly operates out of the slot.

I am realistically setting me sights on Wilson and Trey Burton. There versatility would give us more wiggle room in the draft. I would like to play Wilson in the slot, but if a really great slot WR is there at 39, you can play Wilson outside more.

8 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I am realistically setting me sights on Wilson and Trey Burton. There versatility would give us more wiggle room in the draft. I would like to play Wilson in the slot, but if a really great slot WR is there at 39, you can play Wilson outside more.

Size, speed, character, buy low. 

He's like another Cam Meredith I suppose but you can do a lot worse. 

8 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I get the appeal of Burton entirely. I just don’t see why our role would appeal to him as much as others without us grossly overbidding for him. He’s going to get TE1 offers elsewhere. Several teams need a guy with a skill set just like his. He has to know the plan here is for that role to eventually go to Shaheen, so even if he’s TE1 here in 2018 it’s less likely he’s gonna be the man long term which also affects his next contract. All of that plus we are still a team in a rebuild where others may not be. Short of us grossly overpaying him compared to the market I just don’t see why we’d ever make it to #1 on his list. 

11 hours ago, WindyCity said:

In the Chip Kelly/Peterson offenses:

M4SIWYl.jpg

Thats why. 

He and Wilson added to Meredith and a rookie plus whatever you get from White would give us legit depth with versatile guys and upside and not heavily rely upon a rookie. 

4 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

In the Chip Kelly/Peterson offenses:

M4SIWYl.jpg

Thats why. 

He and Wilson added to Meredith and a rookie plus whatever you get from White would give us legit depth with versatile guys and upside and not heavily rely upon a rookie. 

He and Wilson play the same position.

Matthews runs most of his routes from the slot.

I don’t think he is a bad player, but he would be somewhat redundant with another primarily slot WR on the team.

Add in Meredith who ran 50% of his routes from the slot and you have a ton of guys who don’t do their best work outside.

4 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I get the appeal of Burton entirely. I just don’t see why our role would appeal to him as much as others without us grossly overbidding for him. He’s going to get TE1 offers elsewhere. Several teams need a guy with a skill set just like his. He has to know the plan here is for that role to eventually go to Shaheen, so even if he’s TE1 here in 2018 it’s less likely he’s gonna be the man long term which also affects his next contract. All of that plus we are still a team in a rebuild where others may not be. Short of us grossly overpaying him compared to the market I just don’t see why we’d ever make it to #1 on his list. 

I don’t think he can be a TE 1, I don’t think he can block at a level where you can put him inline.

If I am Burton I want to go somewhere where I don’t have to do the everydown blocking duties.

We can offer him as many targets as anyone at TE and went have a caveman sized TE to play in line.

28 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I don’t think he can be a TE 1, I don’t think he can block at a level where you can put him inline.

If I am Burton I want to go somewhere where I don’t have to do the everydown blocking duties.

We can offer him as many targets as anyone at TE and went have a caveman sized TE to play in line.

Whether he should be a #1 TE or not someone is almost certainly going to afford him the opportunity, and objectively we really can’t match that. 

Just now, AZBearsFan said:

Whether he should be a #1 TE or not someone is almost certainly going to afford him the opportunity, and objectively we really can’t match that. 

TEs don’t necessarily have to be able to be an effective inline blocker anymore either. Jordan Reed isn’t really a good blocker at all yet when healthy he’s a fully legit #1 TE. If he’s a good enough receiver then a team will work around a blocking deficiency. 

7 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

We can probably offer him as many targets as most teams. 

I think QB and coach will play into more than where he is on the depth chart. There is an obvious connection between Nagy and Pederson that should help and Trubisky will have to be a selling point.

In the end the Bears will have to pay him the most or close to the most, but I don’t think his role will be a negative.

If I am Burton I probably think I can beat out Shaheen and his 14 targets. That is the type of competition we want. No on gets handed anything.

Just now, WindyCity said:

I guess my question would be where would Burton sign that would be as enticing as here?

Baltimore-crappier QB, less money, worse play caller

Cincinnati-all of the above again.

Raiders, maybe

Seattle, no cash

Green Bay, could be comepiton 

Atlanta, doesn’t seem like a need

New Orleans, no cash

40 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Baltimore-crappier QB, less money, worse play caller

Cincinnati-all of the above again.

Raiders, maybe

Seattle, no cash

Green Bay, could be comepiton 

Atlanta, doesn’t seem like a need

New Orleans, no cash

Just to play devil's advocate and looking at just teams in the top half or so of cap space-

Dalton may not be a gem by any means but Burton will have Green taking the bulk of the defense's attention.

Carr was an MVP candidate and he has Cooper to be the primary defensive concern

Green Bay has Rodgers and a hell of a duo to handle

Atlanta has Ryan and Jones, Hooper sucks, he had 1/4 of his yards and 1/3 of his TDs vs us in week one. Taking that game out he averaged 26 YPG.

Rams might make a move as Higbee is a mediocre option as well.

Jags really only have Mercedes Lewis and he is really at this point an extra lineman.

Colts have Reich as HC and while Doyle did very well, they really only have Hilton and could utilize Burton in the slot while Doyle does the traditional role. If Luck is doing well (who knows at this point) he is looking at one of the best potential QBs to grow with.

Archived