2018 Free Agency targets

AZBearsFan

What I think will happen.

-The Bears will sign Albert Wilson, he gives them an upgrade and a scheme fit and at least gives them something at WR.

-The Bears will sign Burton, he can move all over the formation and gives them insurance if Shaheen struggles to take a big step.

-The Bears will make a run at Allen Robinson, I expect Watkins is going back to LA with the massive cap room they opened up.

-If they fail to land Allen Robinson and Watkins goes back to LA they will look at a trade for Jarvis Landry.

39 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

What I think will happen.

-The Bears will sign Albert Wilson, he gives them an upgrade and a scheme fit and at least gives them something at WR.

-The Bears will sign Burton, he can move all over the formation and gives them insurance if Shaheen struggles to take a big step.

-The Bears will make a run at Allen Robinson, I expect Watkins is going back to LA with the massive cap room they opened up.

-If they fail to land Allen Robinson and Watkins goes back to LA they will look at a trade for Jarvis Landry.

They've got $27.65 million in cap space right now, Aaron Donald is about to become the highest paid player in football, and in terms of targets Watkins was behind Kupp, Gurley and Woods. Trading Ogletree ups that to $32.375 million.

I don't see him going back there unless the market sucks or he is in love with LA/Goff/McVay.

20 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

Cam Wake is 36. Sherman is 29. I’d be surprised if a GM with a history of preferring second-contract guys just purged a bunch of 30+ year-old veterans from the roster to replace them with more 30+ year-old veterans.

The only way he'd sign Wake is if things shook out in a way that we needed a stopgap at OLB. And I'd say that's doubtful. I don't think there's any way he comes close to touching Sherman. 

3 hours ago, G08 said:

They've got $27.65 million in cap space right now, Aaron Donald is about to become the highest paid player in football, and in terms of targets Watkins was behind Kupp, Gurley and Woods. Trading Ogletree ups that to $32.375 million.

I don't see him going back there unless the market sucks or he is in love with LA/Goff/McVay.

They have 50 million in cap space. Over the Cap is wrong.

They are also going to get Tavon Austin and save 6 million more.

So guys pay attn to whats happening in seattle right now.  They are dismantling the team trying to figure out how to rebuild after the franchise qb.  Thats why 1) its vitally important we take advantage of MT10s rookie deal, 2) that the bears take a measured approach in how they build this team and how much they spend at low value posituons.  

10 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

They have 50 million in cap space. Over the Cap is wrong.

They are also going to get Tavon Austin and save 6 million more.

Asked this Rams fan what % chance he thought Watkins would return:

12 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

20%

3 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

The only way he'd sign Wake is if things shook out in a way that we needed a stopgap at OLB. And I'd say that's doubtful. I don't think there's any way he comes close to touching Sherman. 

How is that “doubtful”. Even if we resign Acho we need 3 OLBs. Good chance we draft 2

2 hours ago, G08 said:

Asked this Rams fan what % chance he thought Watkins would return:

Watkins may ultimately end up back in LA but I doubt it personally. He’s going into his age 25 season so he’s in almost all likelihood going to be considering his next contract too. LA doesn’t really set him up for a huge next contract because of Gurley, Kupp and Woods, none of whom are going anywhere. Even if he’s looking st the most WR targets in that group it’s still a much smaller share than elsewhere, and less targets usually means smaller numbers, which means less cheese come contract time.  

We keep talking about him getting 5 years next week too. That puts him at 30 at expiration. It wouldn’t shock me to see him look for a strong 2-3 year contract with a team (like us) where he can be a target hog, put up gigantic numbers and then hit another mega deal in 24-36 months either with that team or on the open market. 

2 minutes ago, G08 said:

@AZBearsFan I was looking at the 2017 Rams a little deeper, Sammy Watkins was freaking 5th (!!!) in offensive touches last season.

Fifth!

Exactly - and the roles of Higbee and Kupp aren’t likely getting smaller either. They have to pay Gurley soon too, and replace Trumaine Johnson and Robert Quinn. They’re an ascending team in a very winnable division so I suspect they’ll look to fill those holes with immediate contributors over developmental guys, which suggests FA over draft. Spending $10M or more on Watkins in their scenario just seems pretty far down the common sense priority list there to me. 

49 minutes ago, G08 said:

@AZBearsFan I was looking at the 2017 Rams a little deeper, Sammy Watkins was freaking 5th (!!!) in offensive touches last season.

Fifth!

That was one of the big things I was talking about. He was used the same way DeSean Jackson was in WAS under McVay - as a deep distraction to open the underneath guys.

Add in that Goff couldn't hit him but about 3 of 10 deep throws and his touches were laughable. There is no reason to go back. They can get Chark or some other deep threat to be the decoy in the draft for a whole lot less.

16 hours ago, G08 said:They've got $27.65 million in cap space right now, Aaron Donald is about to become the highest paid player in football, and in terms of targets Watkins was behind Kupp, Gurley and Woods. Trading Ogletree ups that to $32.375 million.

Excellent points. I think he will probably leave LA based on that. 

Also, consider, like you said above, he was 4th option for Rams last year when you are offering him a contract.  

Not saying I wouldn't want him, but he hasnt shown anything special to date and has had plenty of opportunity.   I wouldnt want to overpay for him.

Going to take a risk, I would rather you take risk on Robinson who has produced in past.

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

Excellent points. I think he will probably leave LA based on that. 

Also, consider, like you said above, he was 4th option for Rams last year when you are offering him a contract.  

Not saying I wouldn't want him, but he hasnt shown anything special to date and has had plenty of opportunity.   I wouldnt want to overpay for him.

Going to take a risk, I would rather you take risk on Robinson who has produced in past.

Some conjecture that Watkins might get a short 1-2 year deal that's front-loaded, kind of like a prove-it type thing. I'd be cool with that if he wanted to come here.

Things should start leaking out in 4 days!

Archived